Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mladen Adamović <ml...@gmail.com> on 2018/06/16 09:37:31 UTC

Production Tomcat 8.5.5 suddenly started to give ClassNotFoundError

Hi all,

I have a production Tomcat server and this morning it started to give
strange ClassNotFoundError for stuff which was working for years without a
problem.

I did redeploy app (by copying into the dir and deleting their ROOT), but
it didn't solve the issue, same ClassNotFoundException.

On the development machine I built a new release, checked that it worked in
my localhost (it worked, no ClassNotFoundException), and stopped Tomcat on
the production server, moved files from work to work_1 directory (that's
specified as deleting the cache), copied the new WAR files into the
destination and deleted the previous files.

It didn't still solve the issue, now I got even bigger problem JSPs which
were working fine previously now they don't work?

What could cause this problem? How to fix it (without setting again new
production tomcat from scratch)?

Thanks

Re: Production Tomcat 8.5.5 suddenly started to give ClassNotFoundError

Posted by Adam Feder <ab...@backblaze.com>.
I have seen deeper problems appear as ClassNotFoundExceptions.  For
instance, I have seen an application that was leaking file descriptors
eventually get errors for having too many open files and then those have
turned into ClassNotFoundExceptions.

good luck,
ab

Posted by Mladen Adamović <ml...@gmail.com>.
It turned out this problem was caused by a class constructor which started
to give RuntimeException (it has some calculations based on DB data). That
somehow caused ClassNotFoundException. I've solved the cause and had to
reinstall tomcat (as after deleting "work" directory  tomcat did not work
properly).

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.