Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Arion Yu <ar...@stt.com.hk> on 2000/09/27 03:44:59 UTC

broken current Tomcat ? (3.3 dev)

Hi!

I just check out from the CVS source and encountered the following
during startup:

Guessing TOMCAT_HOME from tomcat.sh to bin/..
Setting TOMCAT_HOME to bin/..
Using classpath:
bin/../classes:bin/../lib/ant.jar:bin/../lib/jasper.jar:bin/../
lib/jaxp.jar:bin/../lib/parser.jar:bin/../lib/servlet.jar:bin/../lib/servlet22:b

in/../lib/servlet23:bin/../lib/webserver.jar:/usr/local/jdk1.2.2/lib/tools.jar:.

:/home/arion.yu/jakarta/jaxp1.0.1/jaxp.jar:/home/arion.yu/jakarta/jaxp1.0.1/pars

er.jar
Using JAVA_HOME: /usr/local/jdk1.2.2
Using TOMCAT_HOME: bin/..
[arion.yu@linux tomcat]$ StartTomcat: Loading config file
bin/../conf/server.xml
ERROR reading bin/../conf/server.xml
At Line 105 /Server/ContextManager/ContextInterceptor/

FATAL:
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextInterceptor
        at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:282)

        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:311)

        at org.apache.tomcat.util.xml.AddChild.end(XmlMapper.java:778)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.xml.XmlMapper.matchEnd(XmlMapper.java:391)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.xml.XmlMapper.endElement(XmlMapper.java:109)
        at com.sun.xml.parser.Parser.maybeElement(Parser.java:1413)
        at com.sun.xml.parser.Parser.content(Parser.java:1499)
        at com.sun.xml.parser.Parser.maybeElement(Parser.java:1400)
        at com.sun.xml.parser.Parser.content(Parser.java:1499)
        at com.sun.xml.parser.Parser.maybeElement(Parser.java:1400)
        at com.sun.xml.parser.Parser.parseInternal(Parser.java:492)
        at com.sun.xml.parser.Parser.parse(Parser.java:284)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.xml.XmlMapper.readXml(XmlMapper.java:214)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.task.StartTomcat.loadConfigFile(StartTomcat.java:227)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.task.StartTomcat.prepareContextManager(StartTomcat.java:157)

        at
org.apache.tomcat.task.StartTomcat.execute(StartTomcat.java:110)
        at org.apache.tomcat.startup.Tomcat.execute(Tomcat.java:64)
        at org.apache.tomcat.startup.Tomcat.main(Tomcat.java:70)

The file
$jakarta-tomcat/src/share/org/apache/tomcat/core/ContextInterceptor.java
seems being purged for some reason.

Should I move to Tomcat 4.0 and forget everything about Tomcat 3.3dev ?

Thanks

Arion

--
[This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and may
contain information that is legally privileged. They are intended solely

Re: broken current Tomcat ? (3.3 dev)

Posted by cm...@yahoo.com.
> So you (the developers) are building the core so that it can run both the
> servlet 3.2 and 3.3? It sounds great. But I am curious how you can optimize
> the core with Java2 while still supporting servlet 3.2.

Servlet 2.2 and servlet 2.3, and any future ( or past ) servlet version (
assuming someone will write the facade !)

The core is still JDK1.1 and I see no reason to change that - modules are
where optimizations happen ( and of course, if you have JDK1.1 you can't
run servlet 2.3 - but you can still run tomcat 3.3 using the 2.2 facade ).

> The root cause comes from the org.apache.tomcat.helper.ServerXmlHelper which
> add the child "addContextInterceptor" with the no-longer-exist class (should
> be interface) "org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextInterceptor"
> The same problem apply to RequestInterceptor.

Thanks, I guess I had them in my classpath... I'll fix that.

> Anyway, these information should be useless after you changed the core:)

I hope core changes will stop very soon - we are very close. I just need
to resolve the FacadeManager ( there is at least a big security problem),
and after that to change the internal representation to MessageBytes ( to
enable international charsets ) and remove all unused methods in the
remaining classe.

So far we have: Request, Response, Context, Container, OutputBuffer,
Handler, BaseInterceptor and ContextManager.

I think the object model is simple enough - close to "as simple as
possible but not simler". Of course, I hope other people will have more
ideas about how to improve the core even further ( I'm close to my limit,
so after that I'll just work on interceptors and bug fixes ) :-)

Costin

Re: broken current Tomcat ? (3.3 dev)

Posted by Arion Yu <ar...@stt.com.hk>.
Hi!