Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de> on 2018/05/09 17:40:54 UTC

Re: [IMPORTANT CHANGE] building and publishing our website from Jenkins and Git instead of CMS

Hi,

This means if you do a commit in the gitbox repository[1] the job[2] on
our build server will start and deploy directly to production site[3]
without the need to public via cms[4].

Great work...

BTW: @Hervé can you explain what is meant to write the Jenkinsfile to
make a mvn site-deploy ?

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise

[1]: https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf/maven-site.git
[2]: https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/maven-site/
[3]: https://maven.apache.org/
[4]: https://cms.apache.org/maven/

On 30/04/18 22:49, Hervé BOUTEMY wrote:
> sites sources migration to Git at GitBox done: now you can edit Maven and Doxia sites directly from GitHub through the edit link
>
> The site build and publish Jenkins jobs are still the previous ones: if someone creates a Jenkinsfile, we'll have immediate build in maven-box job.
>
> Next step will be the move of components svnpubsub location from infra location [1] to ASF [2]
> this will require a change in distributionManagement/site/url in a new parent POM and every child POMs: if you intend to do a release, please tell and we'll check what to do
>
> Regards,
>
> Hervé
>
> [1] https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/websites/production/maven/components/
> + https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/websites/production/maven-doxia/components/
>
> [2] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/website/components/
> + https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/doxia/website/components/
>

> Le dimanche 15 avril 2018, 15:25:47 CEST Hervé BOUTEMY a écrit :
>> Jira issue for source migration to Git opened:
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Hervé
>>
>> Le dimanche 15 avril 2018, 01:23:06 CEST Hervé BOUTEMY a écrit :
>>> here it is, now Maven site and Doxia sub-site are published by Jenkins
>>>
>>> CMS is not used any more
>>> We'll just need to move components reference documentation out of the CMS
>>> svn space: I'll do it later with infra
>>>
>>> now, I'll work on GitBox migration
>>>
>>> If someone can write a Jenkinsfile, this would be great: the job has to be
>>> tied to websites1 node, and the command is simply "mvn site-deploy"
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Hervé

Mit freundlichem Gruß
Karl-Heinz Marbaise
Dipl.Ing.(FH) Karl-Heinz Marbaise        USt.IdNr: DE191347579
Hauptstrasse 177
52146 Würselen                           http://www.soebes.de

Re: [IMPORTANT CHANGE] building and publishing our website from Jenkins and Git instead of CMS

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
On Fri 11 May 2018 at 09:37, Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr> wrote:

> Le vendredi 11 mai 2018, 01:45:29 CEST Stephen Connolly a écrit :
> > On Thu 10 May 2018 at 23:51, Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>
> wrote:
> > > Le jeudi 10 mai 2018, 10:52:01 CEST Stephen Connolly a écrit :
> > >

> https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/maven-box/job/maven-site
> > > /j>
> you are
> > >
> > > great job, even with multi-branch: I'll copy the Jenkinsfile to Doxia
> site
> > >
> > > How can we consult the local site build result? I don't see on master:
> > > would
> > > something appear in a branch?
> >
> > Ok I am having a hard time parsing that request. Could you try to
> rephrase?
> :)
>
> The setup that does site-deploy on master branch and only site on other
> branches would be ideal for the deploy (to repository manager) vs verify
> of a
> component.
>
> For a component, just getting the build status of verify is what we
> expect,
> just to check that we don't have any regression on ITs.
>
> For a site, getting just the build status is not really useful: if I do a
> branch to test something, I don't really expect the build to fail, what I
> want
> is to see the built site to really know if what I'm doing is good.
> With handmade job, I can see the site (without it being published outside):
> like
> https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/maven-3.x-site/site/
>
> How can I see the site built by a Jenkinsfile in maven-box?

We could archive the site with the html publisher plugin and then you could
view it from the Jenkins job...

I’ll see if I can dig it up

> Regards,
>
> Hervé

> > > stephen.alan.connolly@gmail.com>

> :

> > > job[2] on

> > > site[3]

> Jenkinsfile

> > > manually

> Jenkins
> > >
> > > job

> > > committing

> > > available

> pub-sub
> > >
> > > for

> > > I don't know Jenkins sufficiently to know if Git pubsub is really a
> > > separate
> > > feature from Apache Hosted Git plugin: glad to see it works for any
> type
> > > of
> > > job

> https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/maven-site/

> edit
> > >
> > > Maven

> > > ones:

> from
> > >
> > > child

> what
> > >
> > > to do

> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/website/components/
> > >
> > > https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/doxia/website/components/

> by

> out
> > >
> > > of

> > > site-deploy"

> infra

> once

> Marbaise a

> for
> > >
> > > site

> only

> > > build

> benefit
> > >
> > > step,

> but
> > >
> > > if

> tweaking.

> > > svn ,

> launch
> > >
> > > the

> it to
> > >
> > > the

> of the

> > > --
> >
> > Sent from my phone

Sent from my phone

Re: [IMPORTANT CHANGE] building and publishing our website from Jenkins and Git instead of CMS

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
On Thu 10 May 2018 at 23:51, Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr> wrote:

> Le jeudi 10 mai 2018, 10:52:01 CEST Stephen Connolly a écrit :
> >
> https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/maven-box/job/maven-site/j
> > ob/master/1/console looks good. @Hervé can you delete
> > https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/maven-site/ if you are
> > happy with it?
> great job, even with multi-branch: I'll copy the Jenkinsfile to Doxia site
>
> How can we consult the local site build result? I don't see on master:
> would
> something appear in a branch?
>

> > On 10 May 2018 at 09:37, Stephen Connolly <
> stephen.alan.connolly@gmail.com>
> >
> > wrote:

> job[2] on
> site[3]

> manually
> job

> committing

> available
> > >
> > > Tsk Tsk did you think that little of me that I would implement pub-sub
> for
> > > multibranch and leave regular in the cold just to try and drive
> > > multibranch
> > > adoption :-(
> I don't know Jenkins sufficiently to know if Git pubsub is really a
> separate
> feature from Apache Hosted Git plugin: glad to see it works for any type
> of
> job

So the SCM API in Jenkins (which I wrote) has a code path that lets you
write a single event marcher to target old style and multibranch projects
at the same time... so in effect implementing the gitpubsub stuff gave me
old style support “for free”

(Of course I paid for that support when I wrote scm api... but incremental
cost is lower)

> Maven

> ones:

> child

> to do

> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/doxia/website/components/

> of

> site-deploy"

> site

> build

> step,

> if

> svn ,
> the

> the

Sent from my phone

Re: [IMPORTANT CHANGE] building and publishing our website from Jenkins and Git instead of CMS

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi Hervé,

I could imagine that it could still work. As far as I understand all the gitpubsub and svnpubsub, what generally happens, is that the HTTPD server serving a projects website is just a directory. And the pubsubs just pull changes from a source to the static files directory of the projects HTTPD instance. Infra sets up jobs to pull from a VCS source and push to a directory. So it should be possible to mix at the target. If however the current setup is for multiple builds to push to a central website VCS, then I agree that with this setup it would be difficult, but eventually worth changing (Eventually even setting up a maven-components svn as target for all of this)

The reason for splitting up, was that in our case we wanted unit-test results, code-coverage etc. to be part of the site, this requires us to execute the unit- and integration-tests ... but executing the unit-test on the git-website node would needlessly block resources on these nodes. That's why with this setup we only use the ubuntu machines for publishing to nexus, the git-website nodes for updating the site asf-site branch and use our project VM build node for all other steps (We do low level network packet manipulation stuff there ... that's why we run our tests on a dedicated machine).

Well I don't have a strong opinion on SVN or GIT as site-repo, I prefer GIT over SVN in general and I like having all things together. But besides that, I just thought I'd point out other options.

Chris

Am 11.05.18, 10:32 schrieb "Hervé BOUTEMY" <he...@free.fr>:

    Hi Christofer,

    Thanks for the sharing: the idea of building on any node, could be interesting
    in the future if we have performance issues with site commit-enabled nodes.
    Normally, these nodes are only used for site, which build is quite fast, so
    I'm not convinced there will be any issues in the near future. But at least,
    we already have a solution, to keep in mind.

    On GitPubSub vs SvnPubSub:
    We absolutely need SvnPubSub for components:
    see https://maven.apache.org/developers/website/ and have a look at the
    content of components directory

    Then I chose to let everything in svnpubsub: I could have done / from
    GitPubSub and /components from SvnPubSub, but the mix would IMHO have been
    more complex to understand. And I don't see much benefit to GitPubSub over
    SvnPubSub: the commit duration is a little bit faster, but not to a degree
    that I find useful enough to do the change.
    Are there other benefits you see from GitPubSub over SvnPubSub?

    Regards,

    Hervé

    On the idea of switching to GitPubSub

    Le vendredi 11 mai 2018, 09:34:03 CEST Christofer Dutz a écrit :
    > Hi guys,
    >
    > just stumbled over this thread ... sorry for not noticing it earlier.
    >
    > As I did the same for several other projects here (Apache PLC4X probably
    > being the most advanced site), I thought I might be able to help.

    > When updating to GIT, why not also switch to GitPubSub?
    >
    > Also I just finished finetuning plc4x's Jenkinsfile ... perhaps it's worth
    > having a look at. The important parts are:
     - Build the site on any node
    > able to do that (the "git-websites" labeled nodes shouldn't be used for the
    > heavy testing ... we only have 1 or 2) - Jenkins-Stash the generated site
    > - Unstash the site on a "git-websites" labeled node
    > - push the changes to the "asf-site" branch of the current projects repo
    > - check what's committed to the "asf-site" branch and reduce the changes to
    > an absolute minimum (I removed most timestamp-stuff as the pub-sub-systems
    > do tend to choke on large changes)

    > Some remarks from several months of working with this setup:
    > - As mentioned above: gitpubsub tends to choke on large changes. Whenever it
    > choked no changes were published at all. Usually I had to beg Infra to
    > re-sync the repos, a few weeks ago they added a "resync" to the
    > self-service portal at https://selfserve.apache.org/ (The "synchronize git
    > repositories" Button). Don't know if I begged so often, that they added the
    > button to get rid of my begging ... but in the end now things work nicely.
    > I did reduce the amount of choking by inspecting the commits done to the
    > asf-site branch and refactored things to omit unnecessary timestamps and
    > invisible things.

    > And if you run into problems ... I'm glad to help ...
    >
    > Chris
    >
    > PLC4X's Jenkinsfile:
    > https://github.com/apache/incubator-plc4x/blob/master/Jenkinsfile
     PLC4X's

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
Hi Christofer,

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi guys,

> [...]

    > something appear in a branch?

    Ok I am having a hard time parsing that request. Could you try to rephrase?

    > > On 10 May 2018 at 09:37, Stephen Connolly <
    > stephen.alan.connolly@gmail.com>
    > >
    > > wrote:

    > job[2] on
    > site[3]

    > manually
    > job

    > committing

    > available
    > > >
    > > > Tsk Tsk did you think that little of me that I would implement pub-sub
    > for
    > > > multibranch and leave regular in the cold just to try and drive
    > > > multibranch
    > > > adoption :-(
    > I don't know Jenkins sufficiently to know if Git pubsub is really a
    > separate
    > feature from Apache Hosted Git plugin: glad to see it works for any type

    Sent from my phone

Re: [IMPORTANT CHANGE] building and publishing our website from Jenkins and Git instead of CMS

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
On Thu 10 May 2018 at 23:51, Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr> wrote:

> Le jeudi 10 mai 2018, 10:52:01 CEST Stephen Connolly a écrit :
> >
> https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/maven-box/job/maven-site/j
> > ob/master/1/console looks good. @Hervé can you delete
> > https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/maven-site/ if you are
> > happy with it?
> great job, even with multi-branch: I'll copy the Jenkinsfile to Doxia site
>
> How can we consult the local site build result? I don't see on master:
> would
> something appear in a branch?

Ok I am having a hard time parsing that request. Could you try to rephrase?

> > On 10 May 2018 at 09:37, Stephen Connolly <
> stephen.alan.connolly@gmail.com>
> >
> > wrote:

> job[2] on
> site[3]

> manually
> job

> committing

> available
> > >
> > > Tsk Tsk did you think that little of me that I would implement pub-sub
> for
> > > multibranch and leave regular in the cold just to try and drive
> > > multibranch
> > > adoption :-(
> I don't know Jenkins sufficiently to know if Git pubsub is really a
> separate
> feature from Apache Hosted Git plugin: glad to see it works for any type
> of
> job

> Maven

> ones:

> child

> to do

> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/doxia/website/components/

> of

> site-deploy"

> site

> build

> step,

> if

> svn ,
> the

> the

Sent from my phone

Re: [IMPORTANT CHANGE] building and publishing our website from Jenkins and Git instead of CMS

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
Ahh no, https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/maven-3.x-site/
is about publishing the maven core test results... we should see about
folding that into the core Jenkinsfile with a condition on being master
branch only

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
Le mercredi 9 mai 2018, 19:40:54 CEST Karl Heinz Marbaise a écrit :
> Hi,
>

> This means if you do a commit in the gitbox repository[1] the job[2] on
> our build server will start and deploy directly to production site[3]
> without the need to public via cms[4].
yes, you get it

> Great work...
thank you

> BTW: @Hervé can you explain what is meant to write the Jenkinsfile to
> make a mvn site-deploy ?
currently, the Jenkins job that builds and deploy the website is manually
configured
If there was a Jenkinsfile in the git repo, the handcrafted Jenkins job could
be replaced by the equivalent maven-box generated one
https://builds.apache.org/job/maven-box/

My personal knowledge of Jenkinsfile and how to test it before committing is
null, then we're staying for the moment with the handcrafted job

Initially, I thought that only the Jenkinsfile would bring us the immediate
rebuild on Git commit: but it seems the Git pubsub feature is available also
on handcrafted job. Then the only benefit we'll have is to remove the handmade