Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by David Darj <zi...@alagazam.net> on 2010/12/17 21:36:29 UTC

Re: Subversion 1.6.15 Released

 I'm finally happy to announce my release of Subversion 1.6.15 Win32
binaries and installer.
Sorry about the late release but I had done some work on my house in the
last weeks.

They are available on SourceForge:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/win32svn/ (preferred)
and also at my website:http://alagazam.net

Release notes for the 1.6.x release series may be found at:

http://subversion.apache.org/docs/release-notes/1.6.html

You can find the list of changes between 1.6.15 and earlier versions at:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/subversion/tags/1.6.15/CHANGES

Questions, comments, and bug reports to users@subversion.apache.org.

Merry X-mas to the whole SVN community

David Darj
http://alagazam.net

Re: Subversion 1.6.15 Released

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.
On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 04:42:16PM -0500, rj@elilabs.com wrote:
> Any idea why TSVN 1.6.12 Build 20536 2010/11/24 claims to be using SVN
> 1.6.15 before it was released?

TortoiseSVN doesn't follow skips in version numbers that occasionally
happen between Subversion releases.

E.g. the entry for 1.6.14 in https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/subversion/trunk/CHANGES
reads as follows:

  Version 1.6.14
  (Not released, see changes for 1.6.15.)

This means Subversion 1.6.14 did not pass pre-release testing and
wasn't made publicly available.

Because TortoiseSVN releases don't use the same version numbers as
the Subversion releases they're based on, TortoiseSVN users need to look
at the "based on Subversion release X" number to find out which version
of Subversion release they are using. (In case this relationship is
unclear: TortoiseSVN, like virtually every other Subversion client out
there, is a wrapper around the Subversion core libraries.)

Even if TortoiseSVN did skip release numbers skipped by Subversion,
release numbers could get out of sync if TortoiseSVN issued a release
to fix a bug that's present in TortoiseSVN but not in Subversion.
It's unlikely that we're ever going to see version numbers for
both the Subversion core and TortoiseSVN increase in lock-step.

Stefan

Re: Subversion 1.6.15 Released

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.
On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 05:07:44PM -0500, rj@elilabs.com wrote:
> I am not subscribed to the dev or announce lists, and the header says this
> is the users list, and my installed TSVN's "about" shows 11/24.  I cannot
> imagine how this would have ended up on dev or announce.  :-\

Ah, I misunderstood your question because I was only looking at
version numbers, not the date stamp.  The date in the binaries might
be off if the TortoiseSVN team produced binaries based on pre-release
Subversion source code that went into the pre-release testing phase.
If the test phase was successful the Subversion project releases the source
officially, and TortoiseSVN binaries built a few days eariler are now known
good and can be released, too.

Stefan

Re: Subversion 1.6.15 Released

Posted by rj...@elilabs.com.

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 5:46 PM, David Darj <zi...@alagazam.net> wrote:
> I just keep up the work where DJ Heap (and Troy Simpson) left off building
> and announcing these binaries.
> If it's not appropiate to announce it here I will stop.

David, I do not want to give you the impression that I think you are
doing something wrong.  Like I said, there is some value and general
interest in letting people know.  The issue is that you are just one
of many people producing binaries and for the most part I do not think
anyone else is announcing each release on these lists.  I would
personally not want to see everyone that makes binaries do this as I
think it would get very "spammy" whenever there is a new SVN release.
There was also this instance here where a user apparently thought you
were announcing the SVN release, and not just your binaries.  So I
guess there is some possibility for confusion.

If you want to make an announcement over here, I would suggest using
the announce@ list only, but that is just one person's
suggestion/opinion.  Personally, I think when the SVN project issue a
release announcement people just go to their preferred location to get
the binaries and do not wait or look for a separate announcement.

--
Thanks

Mark Phippard
http://markphip.blogspot.com/

Re: Subversion 1.6.15 Released

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.
Releases of binaries, releases of API consumers (eg, tortoisesvn,
subclipse), releases of related tools (eg, svnmerge, svndumptool).  None
of these are currently on-topic for announce@, and it won't scale to
have all of them on users@.

I'm wondering if having a dedicated ${bikeshed}-announce@subversion.a.o
list for these would be a good idea...

Daniel
(it could help replace contrib/ and links.html)

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Darj <zi...@alagazam.net>.
On 2010-12-17 22:58, Mark Phippard wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 4:42 PM,<rj...@elilabs.com>  wrote:
>> Any idea why TSVN 1.6.12 Build 20536 2010/11/24 claims to be using SVN
>> 1.6.15 before it was released?
> Subversion 1.6.15 was released several weeks ago.  David is just one
> person of many that creates a binary version and he is simply
> announcing availability of his binaries.  TortoiseSVN does not release
> until we have officially released the source.
>
> BTW, David is there really any reason to broadcast your release in
> these forums?  CollabNet has never done that (and would not want to
> see us start).  While I think the info is somewhat useful in general
> it would get ugly if everyone that produced binaries announced it on
> all the lists every time.  You can announce it on sf.net and users can
> subscribe to lists or RSS feeds there if they want to be updated on
> releases.

I just keep up the work where DJ Heap (and Troy Simpson) left off
building and announcing these binaries.
If it's not appropiate to announce it here I will stop.

Anyway announcment on my Win32 build of Subversion will be announced at
the sf page at https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32svn/ where a RSS
feed is also available.

/David

Re: Subversion 1.6.15 Released