Posted to user@cayenne.apache.org by Robert Zeigler <ro...@roxanemy.com> on 2012/03/26 23:41:03 UTC

Validating super/sub entity relationships, 3.1M3 vs. 3.0.2

I'm gradually migrating my projects to 3.1M3 from the 3.0 series. Today, I converted a project in the modeler and it now complains:

"Usage of super entity's relationships 'Entry.user' as reversed relationships for sub entity is discouraged"

I'm using single-table inheritance in this case, and "Entry" is the superclass, with two sub-classes. Every subclass needs a reference to the "user" table, so I put the relationship in the superclass rather than the subclasses. So my questions:

1) Why is this discouraged?
  1b) What are the side-effects of maintaining the current mapping?
2) I suppose the "correct" thing is to remap this as one relationship to the user table for each subclass?
3) What change in behavior from 3.0.2 -> 3.1M3 warrants this new warning/preference? Or has it always been bad practice but now we're letting people know?

Robert

Re: Validating super/sub entity relationships, 3.1M3 vs. 3.0.2

Posted by Robert Zeigler <ro...@roxanemy.com>.
That would definitely help.

Robert

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
> That said, the warning was pointing to the Entry entity, but I think the bad mapping was in the User entity. Maybe it's a matter of perspective? Or is that a bug?

From the top of my head, Cayenne detects a cycle in relationship joins, but it can't tell which relationship in the pair a user might prefer to change (e.g. a relationship may only be relevant in subclass). So it takes a random guess. We should probably improve the error message to mention both relationships are candidates for refactoring.

Posted by Robert Zeigler <ro...@roxanemy.com>.