Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by ra...@elitecore.com on 2009/02/04 11:14:16 UTC

Display URL without port

We are using both apache and tomcat in our environment. I wanted
information on how to display a URL without port. In, our live
environment, when we say http://reselleraccount.directonpc.com, it
automatically takes it as http://reselleraccount.directonpc.com:10080. We
are migrating to new server. In the new server, when I gave
http://reselleraccount.directonpc.com, it displays like 'RED Hat Linux
Test Page'.

I guess, I need to make some changes in our apache installation in our new
server to get it to take 10080 automatically?

I hope, my question is clear.

Please, help in solving the doubt.

regards

Re: Display URL without port

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Randir,

in the last few days you have been posting several questions to this
list (and, unless I am mistaken, also on Apache httpd's).
You have received some well-intentioned answers, and a few rather curt ones.
The reason for that is, that from your questions it sounds pretty much
as if you are currently trying to do something for which you lack some
basic knowledge, and you seem to be counting on the people on this list
to give you all the answers and spend their time doing so.
This list is dedicated to answering questions of people who already know
what a webserver is, what a URL is, and how these things basically work,
but have specific questions about Apache Tomcat.
It is not a substitute for doing your own work, or for getting a proper
training in basic computer or WWW protocols.
People answering questions here contribute their time freely, they do
not charge for it.  That is not an excuse for taking advantage of them,
by asking questions on matters not really relevant to the list and
expecting ready-made receipes.
And if anyone told you otherwise, then they are taking advantage of you.

André

Re: Display URL without port

Posted by Gregor Schneider <rc...@googlemail.com>.
Randhir,

I presume that both Apache HTTPD and Tomcat are located on the same machine?

Note that the default port for HTTP-protocol is port 80.
As I've written in one of my previous posts, only one application can
be bound to a port, meaning when Apache HTTPD and Tomcat are both
located on the same machine, they will listen on different ports.

Since it's a common practice that Apache listens on port 80, it's also
a common practice that Tomcat listens on port 8080 or, as in your
case, on port 10080.

If you want Apache HTTPD to forward a request to Tomcat transparently
for the user, one common solution is to use the AJP-connector as has
been discussed here on the list quite frequently.

I suggest you point your browser to
http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/generic_howto/quick.html which
explains the how-to in detail.

Rgds

Gregor
--
just because your paranoid, doesn't mean they're not after you...
gpgp-fp: 79A84FA526807026795E4209D3B3FE028B3170B2

Re: Display URL without port

Posted by Kees de Kooter <kd...@gmail.com>.
Dear Rhandir,

Why are you asking this question again today? I already answered the
exact same question with a solution similar to Gregor's yesterday.

Please do not pollute this mailing list.

Cheers,
Kees de Kooter
http://www.boplicity.net