Posted to modules-dev@httpd.apache.org by Sam Carleton <sc...@miltonstreet.com> on 2010/05/03 17:47:00 UTC

[OT] Apache on Windows, how many processes?

I know in the *nix world that Apache forks different processes and in
Windows it is threaded.  I was load testing my Windows Apache Module with 50
clients and it never started up a second process, though the thread count
did surpass the 50, it went to 53.  I am assuming the other three threads
where maintenance threads that are not counted in the thread pool.

My question is:  Will Apache on Windows start up more then one worker
process?  If so, what does it take to get that to happen?

Re: [OT] Apache on Windows, how many processes?

Posted by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
On 5/3/2010 11:43 AM, Sam Carleton wrote:

> Interesting, so what purpose does the parent process preform with MPM
> winnt?  Is it just legacy?

No, it's certainly not legacy.  It's very easy to have a semistable or
unstable httpd process once you add in your efforts to hack custom perl
or c modules, etc.  The parent ensures that the server stays up, even
as a worker process is lost or gracefully quits for MaxRequestsPerChild.

Re: [OT] Apache on Windows, how many processes?

Posted by Sam Carleton <sc...@gmail.com>.
Eric,

Interesting, so what purpose does the parent process preform with MPM
winnt?  Is it just legacy?

Sam

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.