Posted to dev@clerezza.apache.org by Manuel Innerhofer <ma...@trialox.org> on 2010/07/01 17:46:17 UTC

[Fwd: Re: [IKS-FISE] Problem launching latest Clerezza on OS X]

Here a interesting discussion on the IKS-FISE mailing list about a
OutOfMemoryError on OS X. The same error can occur on Windows.

Cheers,
Manuel

Re: [Fwd: Re: [IKS-FISE] Problem launching latest Clerezza on OS X]

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

2010/7/1 Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 5:46 PM, Manuel Innerhofer
> <ma...@trialox.org> wrote:
> > Here a interesting discussion on the IKS-FISE mailing list about a
> > OutOfMemoryError on OS X. The same error can occur on Windows.
> > ...You will need to increase the memory of the java vm by using the
> option -Xmx (e.g. -Xmx512M)
> > maybe you might also need -XX:MaxPermSize (e.g. -XX:MaxPermSize=128M) if
> ou get OutOfMemoryError related to the PermGen space...
>
> FYI I did some measurements on a Sling-based application a while ago
> (so using the Felix OSGi framework in a similar way than Clerezza).
>
> Unsurprisingly, running that app with JDK 1.6 required almost exactly
> twice the amount of PermGen space than with JDK 1.5. That can quickly
> get close to Sun VM's default 64MB of PermGen space. The actual amount
> used is easy to check with jconsole, for example.

what I found some time ago is that, on MacOS X, there are some memory leaks
in Apple's Java 6 that Java 5 hadn't.
I experienced that while I was working on a Trie implementation which
required  ~65k nodes to be stored inside a Map; in such a scenario testing
such an implementation with Java 5 was ok but when switching to Java 6 I got
an OutOfMemory exception.
Surprisingly I had to change the Map implementation from HashMap to a
TreeMap and everything worked on both Java versions.
However I thought this was fixed in some Apple JDK update recently

Is someone testing it also on Linux/Windows platforms and having same issue?
Cheers,
Tommaso

Re: [Fwd: Re: [IKS-FISE] Problem launching latest Clerezza on OS X]

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

<ma...@trialox.org> wrote:
> Here a interesting discussion on the IKS-FISE mailing list about a
> OutOfMemoryError on OS X. The same error can occur on Windows.
> ...You will need to increase the memory of the java vm by using the option -Xmx (e.g. -Xmx512M)
> maybe you might also need -XX:MaxPermSize (e.g. -XX:MaxPermSize=128M) if ou get OutOfMemoryError related to the PermGen space...

FYI I did some measurements on a Sling-based application a while ago
(so using the Felix OSGi framework in a similar way than Clerezza).

Unsurprisingly, running that app with JDK 1.6 required almost exactly
twice the amount of PermGen space than with JDK 1.5. That can quickly
get close to Sun VM's default 64MB of PermGen space. The actual amount
used is easy to check with jconsole, for example.

-Bertrand