Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Audette, Michel" <Mi...@medizin.uni-leipzig.de> on 2006/08/11 14:34:25 UTC

trying to install 1.3.2 after a previous copy

Hello,

after enquiring about how best to use subversion in the context of backups, I was advised to use svn dump and svn hotcopy, but it seems that my previous version of subversion does not support dump and hotcopy options. I have downloaded version 1.3.2, but the installation does not go cleanly.

See below. Can anyone suggest a course of action?

icaw164201:/home/maudette/subversion-1.3.2 # make install
------ making install in apr
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/maudette/subversion-1.3.2/apr'
Making all in strings
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/maudette/subversion-1.3.2/apr/strings'
make[3]: Entering directory `/home/maudette/subversion-1.3.2/apr/strings'
make[3]: Nothing to be done for `local-all'.
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/maudette/subversion-1.3.2/apr/strings'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/maudette/subversion-1.3.2/apr/strings'

subversion/svnversion/svnversion . /repos/svn/trunk > /usr/local/include/subversion-1/svn-revision.txt
svnversion: Version mismatch in 'svn_wc': found 1.2.3, expected 1.3.2
svnversion: Version mismatch in 'svn_client': found 1.2.3, expected 1.3.2
svnversion: Version mismatch in 'svn_subr': found 1.2.3, expected 1.3.2
make: *** [revision-install] Error 1

Thanks for your kind attention.

Best regards,

Michel Audette, Ph.D.
Innovation Center Computer Assisted Surgery (ICCAS)
Philipp-Rosenthal-Strasse 55
Leipzig, Germany
Phone: ++49 (0) 341 / 97 - 1 20 13
Fax: ++49 (0) 341 / 97 - 1 20 09

RE: trying to install 1.3.2 after a previous copy

Posted by "Audette, Michel" <Mi...@medizin.uni-leipzig.de>.
Hi again,

you are on to something. I had some copies under /var/etc/dirinstall, and made a more complete purge.

I had another message, undefined symbol "gdbm_errno", but this is turning it out to be fairly easy to solve, I believe.

Cheers,

Michel

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On 8/11/06, Audette, Michel <Mi...@medizin.uni-leipzig.de> wrote:
> Hi Garrett,
>
> thanks for the kind reply. I redid the installation of the new version from scratch, ensuring to delete the svn libraries that I had in /usr/local/lib, and also re-editing the libtool to only point to /usr/lib64 directories, which is what I am using, and I am still seeing the installation fail with the message that I posted before.
>
> What do you think?

I think you've still got libraries someplace on your system ;-)

If you're on linux you should be able to use ldd on the svn binary and
it'll tell you what libraries it's linking against.

-garrett

RE: trying to install 1.3.2 after a previous copy

> after enquiring about how best to use subversion in the context of backups, I was advised to use svn dump and svn hotcopy, but it seems that my previous version of subversion does not support dump and hotcopy options. I have downloaded version 1.3.2, but the installation does not go cleanly.
>
> See below. Can anyone suggest a course of action?
>
> icaw164201:/home/maudette/subversion-1.3.2 # make install
> ------ making install in apr
> make[1]: Entering directory `/home/maudette/subversion-1.3.2/apr'
> Making all in strings
> make[2]: Entering directory `/home/maudette/subversion-1.3.2/apr/strings'
> make[3]: Entering directory `/home/maudette/subversion-1.3.2/apr/strings'
> make[3]: Nothing to be done for `local-all'.
> make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/maudette/subversion-1.3.2/apr/strings'
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/maudette/subversion-1.3.2/apr/strings'

> subversion/svnversion/svnversion . /repos/svn/trunk > /usr/local/include/subversion-1/svn-revision.txt
> svnversion: Version mismatch in 'svn_wc': found 1.2.3, expected 1.3.2
> svnversion: Version mismatch in 'svn_client': found 1.2.3, expected 1.3.2
> svnversion: Version mismatch in 'svn_subr': found 1.2.3, expected 1.3.2
> make: *** [revision-install] Error 1
>
> Thanks for your kind attention.

You've probably got multiple copies of the subversion libraries
installed, and you're picking up the wrong ones.

-garrett

Re: trying to install 1.3.2 after a previous copy

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.

Posted by "Audette, Michel" <Mi...@medizin.uni-leipzig.de>.
Hi Ryan,

thanks for the tip. That was rather foolish of me! I guess that there is no impetus for me to upgrate then, I'll simply go  back to the version that somes with Suse 10.

Thanks again.

Michel

On Aug 11, 2006, at 16:34, Audette, Michel wrote:

> I was advised to use svn dump and svn hotcopy, but it seems that my
> previous version of subversion does not support dump and hotcopy
> options.

Even Subversion 1.0 which is years old supports dump and hotcopy.
However, you need to be on the server machine (not a client) to use
them, and they are subcommands of the svnadmin command, not of the
svn command.

Re: trying to install 1.3.2 after a previous copy

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@comcast.net>.
Audette, Michel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> after enquiring about how best to use subversion in the context of
> backups, I was advised to use svn dump and svn hotcopy, but it seems
> that my previous version of subversion does not support dump and
> hotcopy options. I have downloaded version 1.3.2, but the
> installation does not go cleanly.
>
> See below. Can anyone suggest a course of action?
>
> icaw164201:/home/maudette/subversion-1.3.2 # make install
> ------ making install in apr
> make[1]: Entering directory `/home/maudette/subversion-1.3.2/apr'
> Making all in strings
> make[2]: Entering directory
> `/home/maudette/subversion-1.3.2/apr/strings'
> make[3]: Entering directory
> `/home/maudette/subversion-1.3.2/apr/strings'
> make[3]: Nothing to be done for `local-all'.
> make[3]: Leaving directory
> `/home/maudette/subversion-1.3.2/apr/strings'
> make[2]: Leaving directory
> `/home/maudette/subversion-1.3.2/apr/strings'

> subversion/svnversion/svnversion . /repos/svn/trunk >
> /usr/local/include/subversion-1/svn-revision.txt
> svnversion: Version mismatch in 'svn_wc': found 1.2.3, expected 1.3.2
> svnversion: Version mismatch in 'svn_client': found 1.2.3, expected
> 1.3.2
> svnversion: Version mismatch in 'svn_subr': found 1.2.3, expected
> 1.3.2
> make: *** [revision-install] Error 1
>
> Thanks for your kind attention.

Do you have two copies of subversion in place now?