Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Sun Ning <cl...@gmail.com> on 2008/05/08 05:41:34 UTC

Spatial extensions for Derby

Hello!

I am willing to develop a spatial extension for Apache Derby database.
This will enable derby to store and manage geospatial data in the way of
OpenGIS standard: Simple Feature Access. That means some geometry types
and build-in functions should be added to the engine. After that, we can
use Derby as a geospatial data source, at the backend of a portable
mapping software or a web mapping site.

I will do this in the later three months. So I just post this to the
mailing-list to get some suggestions from you.

Re: Spatial extensions for Derby

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.
Kathey Marsden wrote:
> Rick Hillegas wrote:
>
>> Hi Sun,
>>
>> This is great to hear! Peter Yuill is also working on adding spatial
>> datatypes to Derby. It may be possible to coordinate your efforts and
>> divide the feature between the two of you. Here's a pointer to a recent
>> email thread in which Peter describes his work:
>> http://www.nabble.com/Spatial-Functionality-td17042147.html#a17042147 I
>> encourage you to contact Peter. I believe that the community will be
>> very eager to support the two of you in this effort.
>>

> Maybe a good first step is to create a Jira issue for this feature. See
> http://db.apache.org/derby/DerbyBugGuidelines.html. Then the
> conversation can take place in Jira comments and attached documents so
> we don't have to track a lot of email threads.
>
> Kathey

That's a good idea, Kathey. I have created DERBY-3670 to track this issue.

Regards,
-Rick

Re: Spatial extensions for Derby

Posted by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>.

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Sun,

This is great to hear! Peter Yuill is also working on adding spatial
datatypes to Derby. It may be possible to coordinate your efforts and
divide the feature between the two of you. Here's a pointer to a recent
email thread in which Peter describes his work:
http://www.nabble.com/Spatial-Functionality-td17042147.html#a17042147 I
encourage you to contact Peter. I believe that the community will be
very eager to support the two of you in this effort.

Thanks!
-Rick