Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by Jeff Duska <Je...@noaa.gov> on 2002/08/30 19:50:58 UTC

Velocity & JSF

I like hear what people think of the new JSF spec now that it has been
released @ http://java.sun.com/j2ee/javaserverfaces/download.html

I've skimed it over. It seems layered ontop of JSTL, so I'm wondering
what fellow Velocity developer think. I'm still reading it over, but I
figure I get the group talking about the pro and cons.  Over on
JavaLobby, it is being bashed pretty hard.

Later,

Jeff

Re: Velocity & JSF

Posted by Attila Szegedi <sz...@freemail.hu>.

Posted by Jeff Duska <Je...@noaa.gov>.

RE: Velocity & JSF

Posted by Nick Temple <nt...@alivecity.com>.
I've looked it over briefly.  I like the idea of being able to easily put
validation and persistance into the template -- arguably that should go in
the logic, but I usually put at least client-side validation in the HTML.

I don't like JSP in general, and it's reliance on taglibs (at least in the
examples) is a -1.  Specifically, as a designer, I can't "see" what the
generated code will look like when rendered (or even get a rough idea). ...
of course that's a known downsid of JSP in general.  Using Velocity wouldn't
help matters - you still would have to "generate" your text fields from
code: $faces.output_text(....), for example.

Early on, I experimented with "rewriting" JSP files by modifying Tomcat to
actually parse various HTML tags (like <input> fields), search for extended
attributes, and then generate both serverside and clientside validation and
persistance based on the values of the fields.  Similar to the way
ColdFusion does it, except that I added a persistance layer.  I still think
this is the "best" way to go: language angonostic, easy to deal with,
"embrace and extend" HTML, and completely ignored if the subsystem doesn't
understand it.  And outside the (current) scope of Velocity.

Immediately I found that <tag class="header"> wouldn't work because JSP
insists on calling setClass() method for the tag...

Anyway, JSF does seem to help solve some real-world problems, It's just that
it doesn't fit my "style".  I'll stick with Velocity and keep struggling
with persistance.

Next I may look into Flash MX, as that may be a cleaner way to solve the
<form> problems than in HTML. Has anyone used Velocity with Flash?

Nick

I like hear what people think of the new JSF spec now that it has been
released @ http://java.sun.com/j2ee/javaserverfaces/download.html

I've skimed it over. It seems layered ontop of JSTL, so I'm wondering
what fellow Velocity developer think. I'm still reading it over, but I
figure I get the group talking about the pro and cons.  Over on
JavaLobby, it is being bashed pretty hard.

Later,

Jeff

For additional commands, e-mail:
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>