Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Jean-Baptiste Quenot <jb...@anyware-tech.com> on 2005/09/19 10:20:14 UTC

Re: Regression on DefaultLinkService

Sorry  for  the subject  of  my  message,  you're right  we  can't
work  together properly  with  such an  aggressive tone.   However
just  to  be clear,  I  reread  the two  messages  I  sent to  you
privately  with subject  « Error on  LoginAction » and  « Error on
CachingURICoplet », and I find them perfectly polite.

* Carsten Ziegeler:

> The current svn is a development version

That's where we  don't agree.  I thought 2.1 was  a stable branch,
intended  for fixing  bugs.   And  that's why  we  update on  that
branch, to get fixes.  I get  the impression that the portal block
is  not  as stable  as  we  would  expect  from a  stable  branch:
incompatible  changes, like  the one  with CoWarp  authentication,
require discussion or at least warning on cocoon-dev.

Best regards,
--
Jean-Baptiste Quenot
Systèmes d'Information

Re: Regression on DefaultLinkService

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org>.
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

> Jean-Baptiste Quenot wrote:
>
>> * Carsten Ziegeler:
>>
>>> There   were   several   suggestions  in   this   thread   about
>>> configuration on your side.
>>

>> Indeed,  Upa  was  right  in  suggesting that  we  use  Apache  as
>> a  proxy  with  ProxyPass  directive.  The  server  name  used  to
>> access the  application is  not the  same as  the one  returned by
>> request.getServerName().
>

> Use ProxyPreserveHost
>
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_proxy.html#proxypreservehost

Or, for those using Tomcat, the proxyHost and proxyHost configurations:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.0-doc/config/http.html#Proxy%20Support

Sylvain

Re: Regression on DefaultLinkService

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Quenot <jb...@anyware-tech.com>.
* Carsten Ziegeler:

> Jean-Baptiste,  is   your  problem  now  solved   with  all  the
> configuration tips?

No sorry,  we have a  dozen sites  in production, we  can't afford
to  change the  server  settings  now, we  prefer  keeping an  old
version  of DefaultLinkService  in WEB-INF/classes.   And moreover
the CopletTransformer (which uses DefaultLinkService to write URLs
in hypertext links) has been deprecated in our project in favor of
BookmarkAction to  have permanent  hrefs, thus  we are  not really
concerned with that feature.

Anyway, thanks to all of you for your help.
--
Jean-Baptiste Quenot
Systèmes d'Information

Re: Regression on DefaultLinkService

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Jean-Baptiste, is your problem now solved with all the configuration tips?

Carsten

http://www.s-und-n.de
http://www.osoco.org/weblogs/rael/

Re: Regression on DefaultLinkService

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Upayavira wrote:

> Then you need to use something like Via, or proxy to the correct
> hostname, or pass a key in with the request that specifies what domain
> it is associated with.

Yes, that's true. Fortunately most ways of doing virtual hosts have
this possibility, so imho there is no need for an additional configuration
in Cocoon.

Carsten

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Jean-Baptiste Quenot wrote:
>
>>Indeed,  Upa  was  right  in  suggesting that  we  use  Apache  as
>>a  proxy  with  ProxyPass  directive.  The  server  name  used  to
>>access the  application is  not the  same as  the one  returned by
>>request.getServerName().
>>

> I'm not sure, but I think ProxyPass sets the server as an additional
> request header, "Via" or something like that. If this is true, we could
> also check this header in the link service. WDYT?

You set ProxyVia on in your httpd.conf and it will set a Via header.
Interesting. This should be used in a lot more places besides, e.g. the
HostSelector - it could have made my life _much_ easier.

>>>Can you solve  your problem this way? What  configuration do you
>>>have? Give us some more information and  I'm sure we can fix the
>>>problem.
>>

>>Generally  speaking  in  our   application  we  need  somewhere  a
>>configuration  file where  we store  the server  name.  Maybe  the
>>server name can be passed in the portal components configuration?
>
> Yeah, this would be possible, of course. But I think this should be the
> final solution. What happens, if you use the same portal instances for
> two virtual hosts?

Then you need to use something like Via, or proxy to the correct
hostname, or pass a key in with the request that specifies what domain
it is associated with.

Regards, Upayavira

Re: Regression on DefaultLinkService

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Quenot <jb...@anyware-tech.com>.
* Carsten Ziegeler:

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Jean-Baptiste Quenot wrote:
>>The current svn is a development version
>

> That's where we  don't agree.  I thought 2.1 was  a stable branch,
> intended  for fixing  bugs.   And  that's why  we  update on  that
> branch, to get fixes.  I get  the impression that the portal block
> is  not  as stable  as  we  would  expect  from a  stable  branch:
> incompatible  changes, like  the one  with CoWarp  authentication,
> require discussion or at least warning on cocoon-dev.

The addition of CoWarp is not an incompatible change - the change
affects only the sample, using authentication-fw is still possible and
nothing changed.
You simply can't expect that a development version - which the current
svn is, being it branch or trunk - works everyday 100%. Then we wouldn't
need any releases. We never recomment people to use latest from svn; if
someone is doing this, it's upto them to make the decision. But in this
case they have to live with the consequences. Sorry, but this is usual
development.

There were several suggestions in this thread about configuration on
your side. Can you solve your problem this way? What configuration do

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Jean-Baptiste Quenot wrote:
> Sorry  for  the subject  of  my  message,  you're right  we  can't
> work  together properly  with  such an  aggressive tone.   However
> just  to  be clear,  I  reread  the two  messages  I  sent to  you
> privately  with subject  ??Error on  LoginAction?? and  ??Error on
> CachingURICoplet??, and I find them perfectly polite.

Even so, we encourage people not to send directly to
a particular person. On the list is better so that more
can help and learn.

-David