Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by 王仁侠 <co...@gmail.com> on 2013/03/14 11:20:03 UTC

TCP Flow Control strategy VS Push/Pull

Hi,

I am a beginner of Kafka and I have question about the design of Push/Pull
model.

I know the Push/Pull framework can avoid the blocking between the Broker
and the Consumer.
However, as I know, the TCP flow control strategy can also solve this
problem, am I right? So why do not directly apply this techniques instead
of using Pull?

Or if I make any misunderstanding on those two techniques, please point me
out.

Thank you!

Best regards,

Renxia Wang

Re: TCP Flow Control strategy VS Push/Pull

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@gmail.com>.
It seems that your main question is why Kafka lets consumer pull, instead
of broker push? The main benefit that is that the consumer naturally gets
data as fast as it can process. If the broker pushes, it has to keep
estimating the appropriate rate that it can push to the consumer.

Thanks,

Jun