Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com> on 2005/06/23 10:35:12 UTC

[MEV] servlet API

Hi Carlos,

I've checked http://ibiblio.org/maven2/javax/servlet/servlet-api/ and I can
see there are 2 version: "2.4" and "2.4.public_draft".  Which one is the
latest? I would say "2.4" but then the jar data for "2.4" is older than the
one for "2.4.public_draft" so I wanted to be sure.

In the past there have always been lot of confusion for the servletapi
because they don't version it! They just name it after the spec. but not
according to their releases... So anyone who builds the servlerapi from CVS
will get a 2.4 JAR even if the sources have been changed...

Thus for me calling the servletapi "2.4" has absolutely no meaning. If
there's a small bug and they fix it, they won't call the new version 2.4.1
because the spec has not changed... so it will also be called "2.4"... :-(

Thus my belief is that we need to call it: 2.4.<date> (or 2.4-<date>).

Could you please shed some light on this?

Thanks a lot
-Vincent

Re: [MEV] servlet API

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@gmail.com>.
2.4 and 2.4 public_draft are the same jar, the problem was that the
manifest file is still saying public_draft because the tomcat guys
forgot to update it. It's the one bundled with Tomcat 5.5.x.

I've added them under javax.servlet group for maven2 but maybe this
should go under tomcat, as there may be other implementations. But in
the other hand this is the reference implementation, so...

For this kind of APIs, POMs in the repo should reference the
javax.whatever and then the user should be able to choose geronimo,
jboss,... implementations if they want

I'd like to use the same groupIds for maven1 too and make that our
best practise (eg. javax.servlet instead of servletapi). What do you
think?

Regards..

OT: Re: [MEV] servlet API

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.

I asked the project devs on the commons-el about that too...where the
test suite was that declared them 1.0 ready with no previous releases,
etc. They were *very* confident that this was THE 1.0...

:)

Regards,

john

RE: [MEV] servlet API

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.

Re: [MEV] servlet API

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
It's 2.4. It hasn't changed (and doesn't) since the final release, IIUC.

We'll start marking up deprecated versions soon that will point people
in the right direction as they go.

- Brett