Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Jason Holbrook <jh...@empoweris.com> on 2007/12/20 23:41:46 UTC

Get HAM's from Exchange / Outlook

Hello all, anyone have an idea of how to get HAM's from an exchange /
Outlook environment back to SA?

My incoming is scanned by a SA gateway but outgoing goes straight from
exchange to the cloud.

Best Regards,

Jason Holbrook

Chief Technology Integrator / Partner

Empower Information Systems

jholbrook@empoweris.com

weblog.empoweris.com <http://weblog.empoweris.com/>

www.empoweris.com

Skype: holbrook.jason

Gtalk: jaholbrook

757-320-2667 (Direct)

757-273-9399 (office)

757-715-1944 (cell)

866-477-1544 (toll free)

This message is being sent by or on behalf of Empower Information
Systems. It is intended exclusively for the individual or entity to
which it is addressed.  This communication may contain information that
is proprietary, privileged or confidential or otherwise legally exempt
from disclosure.  If you are not the named addressee, you are not
authorized to read, print, retain, copy or disseminate this message or
any part of it.  If you have received this message in error, please
notify the sender Jason Holbrook immediately by e-mail
jholbrook@empoweris.com and delete all copies of this message.

Empower Information Systems operates under a zero spam policy. If you
believe this message to be spam, please contact abuse@empoweris.com

Re: Get HAM's from Exchange / Outlook

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.
On 20.12.07 17:41, Jason Holbrook wrote:
> Hello all, anyone have an idea of how to get HAM's from an exchange /
> Outlook environment back to SA?
>
> My incoming is scanned by a SA gateway but outgoing goes straight from
> exchange to the cloud.

I would be carefull doing that... Outlook and even more Exchange are known
for modifying message headers which could affect score in both ways...
- Holmes, what kind of school did you study to be a detective?
- Elementary, Watson.

Re: Get HAM's from Exchange / Outlook

Posted by Steven Stern <su...@sterndata.com>.
Jason Bertoch wrote:
> On Thursday, December 20, 2007 5:49 PM Steven Stern wrote:
>

>> Jason Holbrook wrote:
>>
>>> Hello all, anyone have an idea of how to get HAM's from an exchange /
>>> Outlook environment back to SA?
>>>

>> I've posted a howto at
>>
>> http://sstern.ccim.com/2006/07/14/training-sitewide-spam-filters/
>>

> Steven,
>
> 	Would you mind elaborating on the spamiam.fetchmailrc script?  What
> interpreter are you using and what packages are prerequisites?

All you need is fetchmail, and it's probably already installed in your
distro.  spamiam.fetchmailrc is read by fetchmail, giving it the
necessary instructions to fetch mail from a public folder on the
Exchange server.

RE: Get HAM's from Exchange / Outlook

Posted by Jason Bertoch <ja...@electronet.net>.
On Thursday, December 20, 2007 5:49 PM Steven Stern wrote:

> Jason Holbrook wrote:
>>
>> Hello all, anyone have an idea of how to get HAM's from an exchange /
>> Outlook environment back to SA?
>>

> I've posted a howto at
>
> http://sstern.ccim.com/2006/07/14/training-sitewide-spam-filters/

Steven,

	Would you mind elaborating on the spamiam.fetchmailrc script?  What
interpreter are you using and what packages are prerequisites?

Jason A. Bertoch
Network Administrator
jason@electronet.net
Electronet Broadband Communications
3411 Capital Medical Blvd.
Tallahassee, FL 32308
(V) 850.222.0229 (F) 850.222.8771

RE: Get HAM's from Exchange / Outlook

Posted by Kurt Buff <KB...@zetron.com>.
Steven Stern wrote:
> Jason Holbrook wrote:
> >
> > Hello all, anyone have an idea of how to get HAM’s from an
> exchange /
> > Outlook environment back to SA?
> >
> > My incoming is scanned by a SA gateway but outgoing goes
> straight from
> > exchange to the cloud.
> >
> > Best Regards,
> >
> > Jason Holbrook
> >
> > Chief Technology Integrator / Partner
> >
> > Empower Information Systems
> >
> > jholbrook@empoweris.com <ma...@empoweris.com>
> >
> > weblog.empoweris.com <http://weblog.empoweris.com/>
> >
> > www.empoweris.com <http://www.empoweris.com>
> >
> > Skype: holbrook.jason
> >
> > Gtalk: jaholbrook
> >
> > 757-320-2667 (Direct)
> >
> > 757-273-9399 (office)
> >
> > 757-715-1944 (cell)
> >
> > 866-477-1544 (toll free)
> >
> I've posted a howto at
>
> http://sstern.ccim.com/2006/07/14/training-sitewide-spam-filters/

This relies on users (or worse, admins) putting mail in PFs. I used a similar scheme, and it was cumbersome.

I've found that Maia Mailguard is a useful tool that wraps itself around SpamAssassin, and presents the users with a web page with which they can classify/rescue inbound emails, along with reminder emails to the users, etc.

http://www.maiamailguard.com

Incredibly spiffy.

Kurt

Re: Get HAM's from Exchange / Outlook