Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com> on 2005/07/13 15:39:39 UTC

[shale] Suggestion to improve dialog

Craig,

I've been playing with the dialog stuff for some time by now.  Its
working quite well and the design is such that I can customize most of
what I need using the Action State.  There is one thing that I need to
extend DialogImpl for though and the current code makes that
difficult.

I suggest modifying ConfigurationInit to make this easier.

Step 1.)

Make the REGISTRATIONS[] field protected so that a subclass can
specify its own DTD.  Even better would be to make it setable through
an attribute in <dialog>.  Making it setable combined with Step 2.
would mean that I wouldn't even have to subclass Configuration Init.

Step 2.)

Allow user to specify a (optional) classname attribute for <dialog>.
Default can be DialogImpl but I'd like to create my own class without
duplicating all of the digester code in a subclass.  The existing
"addSetProperties" will automatically set the new properties I'm
adding to my custom Dialog class.

I can provide a patch if you're interested.

sean

Re: [shale] Suggestion to improve dialog

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.
A refinement to my earlier suggestions...

Forget making the REGISTRATIONS[] field protected.  I'm ok with
skipping the DTD and I noticed that you have the class as final
anyways.

I still would like to see a object creation rule that would create the
dialog based on classname.  I have a patch if you are interested.

sean