Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Ruslan Sivak <ru...@vshift.com> on 2009/04/23 18:21:55 UTC

Workspace won't update

I have a weird problem, and am wondering if there's a bug in subversion
or if my workspace has somehow gotten corrupted.  Yesterday, I noticed
that some of the files I commited from a different workstation weren't
making it to my local workspace after an update.  I tried updating a few
times (subclipse, tortoiseSVN, svn command line), but there were no new
files pulled in.  I finally deleted the folder and did an update and the
folder came back with all the new files.

I shrugged it off, but today, I'm having the issue again.  I'm in a
folder, and when I do an svn update, nothing gets pulled in.

W:\workspace\213>svn status -v -u
             12089    12076 russ          home.css
             12089    12077 bryan        all.css
             12089    12088 kunal        .
Status against revision:  12089

The file does seem to show up when I do depth=infinity.

W:\workspace\213>svn status -v -u --depth infinity
             12089    12076 russ          home.css
             12089    12077 bryan        all.css
        *                                photos.css
        *    12089    12088 kunal        .
Status against revision:  12089

Did I somehow get a sparse checkout, and how do I fix it?

Russ

Re: Workspace won't update

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 2:33 PM, Bob Archer <bo...@amsi.com> wrote:
>> > The file does seem to show up when I do depth=infinity.
>> >
>> > W:\workspace\213>svn status -v -u --depth infinity
>> >              12089    12076 russ          home.css
>> >              12089    12077 bryan        all.css
>> >         *                                photos.css
>> >         *    12089    12088 kunal        .
>> > Status against revision:  12089
>> >

>> > Did I somehow get a sparse checkout, and how do I fix it?
>
> I think you can do...
>
> svn up --set-depth infinity

This would also be my recommendation.  There is, IMO, a bug currently
in svn add.  When you add something with the -N option, it sets a
"sticky" depth of empty.  Most GUI tools use this option to add items
so that only the items you select get added.

--
Thanks

Mark Phippard
http://markphip.blogspot.com/

Re: Workspace won't update

Posted by Ruslan Sivak <ru...@vshift.com>.
Mark Phippard wrote:

>>> I think you can do...
>>>
>>> svn up --set-depth infinity
>>>
>>> BOb

>> I have just done that.  It no longer shows depth=empty, but still will
>> not update.
>>
>> doing svn status -v -u --depth infinity no longer shows photos.css
>>
>> I have deleted the folder and did another update from a higher level and
>> it brought in the files.
>>
>> I have however, saved the folder off elsewhere so that I can continue
>> troubleshooting this.
>>

> You may need to do this on several folders.  That is a bug that was
> fixed and is proposed for backport.
>
> http://svn.collab.net/viewvc/svn?view=revision&revision=37169

The problem is that I'm in the actual folder where the files reside, and
it still will not update it.

I'm on the latest version of svn 1.6.1 for the CLI and 1.6.1 for
TortoiseSVN,  so I'm not sure what's going on here.

The good news is that I learned about workspace depths and can now keep
my working copies smaller and faster.

Russ

Re: Workspace won't update

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: Workspace won't update

Posted by Ruslan Sivak <ru...@vshift.com>.

RE: Workspace won't update

Posted by Bob Archer <bo...@amsi.com>.

Re: Workspace won't update

Posted by Ruslan Sivak <ru...@vshift.com>.
Ruslan Sivak wrote:
> I have a weird problem, and am wondering if there's a bug in subversion
> or if my workspace has somehow gotten corrupted.  Yesterday, I noticed
> that some of the files I commited from a different workstation weren't
> making it to my local workspace after an update.  I tried updating a few
> times (subclipse, tortoiseSVN, svn command line), but there were no new
> files pulled in.  I finally deleted the folder and did an update and the
> folder came back with all the new files.
>
> I shrugged it off, but today, I'm having the issue again.  I'm in a
> folder, and when I do an svn update, nothing gets pulled in.
>
> W:\workspace\213>svn status -v -u
>              12089    12076 russ          home.css
>              12089    12077 bryan        all.css
>              12089    12088 kunal        .
> Status against revision:  12089
>
> The file does seem to show up when I do depth=infinity.
>
> W:\workspace\213>svn status -v -u --depth infinity
>              12089    12076 russ          home.css
>              12089    12077 bryan        all.css
>         *                                photos.css
>         *    12089    12088 kunal        .
> Status against revision:  12089
>

> Did I somehow get a sparse checkout, and how do I fix it?
>
> Russ

When I do svn info on this folder, the depth shows up as empty

w:\workspace\213

W:\workspace\\213>svn info .
Repository Root: redacted
Repository UUID: redacted
Revision: 12089
Node Kind: directory
Schedule: normal
Depth: empty
Last Changed Author: kunal
Last Changed Rev: 12088
Last Changed Date: 2009-04-23 12:20:16 -0400 (Thu, 23 Apr 2009)