Posted to dev@river.apache.org by Peter Firmstone <ji...@zeus.net.au> on 2010/11/16 13:58:10 UTC

New name for Jini TCK? Was: Re: River-32 Clarification of Code Provenance

Nigel Daley wrote:
> On Oct 13, 2010, at 3:42 PM, Peter Firmstone wrote:
>

>> River is an Implementation of the Jini Spec.
>>
>> There is a Patent covenant, see River-339
>>
>> Sun is re-licensing its Jini technology Standard specifications under
>> ALv2 and providing a separate "Jini Community Standards Patent
>> Non-Assertion Covenant ("Covenant") that enables others to create
>> unrestricted independent implementations of the specifications.
>>

>> There is a significant amount of remaining code, relevant to Apache River, which we may not be able to use as subprojects due to code provenance.
>>
>> I've closed River-338, which was for creating a subproject of the existing implementation of Jini Surrogate, since I haven't been able to satisfy code provenance rules.  We can consider a clean room implementation for Jini Surrogate.
>>
>> Nigel Daley has confirmed that he is the primary author of the Jini TCK, River-32.  Since Sun Microsystems licensed this code under AL2 and have provided a Patent Covenant and Nigel is an Emeritus Committer of Apache River, is this sufficient provenance to make a Subproject proposal for the Discovery Lookup and Join Test Kit?
>>
>> If this is the case, I was also wondering if Nigel would like to propose a name for the TCK Project?
>>

> Not much of a namer (just look at it's current name :p ).  I happily defer to the active community :-)
>
> Cheers,
> Nige

Can anyone think of name for the Jini TCK?

Cheers,

Peter.

Re: New name for Jini TCK? Was: Re: River-32 Clarification of Code Provenance

Posted by Greg Trasuk <tr...@stratuscom.com>.
On Tue, 2010-11-16 at 07:58, Peter Firmstone wrote:

> Can anyone think of name for the Jini TCK?

River TCK?

Cheers,
Greg.

--
Greg Trasuk, President
http://stratuscom.com

Re: New name for Jini TCK? Was: Re: River-32 Clarification of Code Provenance

Posted by Tom Hobbs <tv...@googlemail.com>.
Is the name just to satisfy some legal whatsit?

What about just dropping the 'T'?  It then becomes the "Jini
Compatability Kit".  Is that different enough?

Posted by Tom Hobbs <tv...@googlemail.com>.
Ditto.  (-1)

"Chastise" is a bit obscure for me.  An acronym where the words
describe the project works best in my opinion.

Re: [vote] Re: New name for Jini TCK?

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 10:32 AM, Peter Firmstone <ji...@zeus.net.au> wrote:
>     River Compatibility Kit or RiCK

Good.

--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer

I live here; http://tinyurl.com/3xugrbk
I work here; http://tinyurl.com/24svnvk
I relax here; http://tinyurl.com/2cgsug

Re: [vote] Re: New name for Jini TCK?

Posted by Mike McGrady <mm...@topiatechnology.com>.
My preference would be that the committers develop a naming philosophy and that the philosophy would: (1) ban cute or geeky names, (2) give names semantically associated, in English, with function, (3) give a procedure for naming.

Just a thought.  People unfairly or otherwise have their code value judged in their naming; "HI" for "hidden information", I think, will be okay, but "Diary" would color the code by casting doubt on the maturity of the coders.  I didn't say it was fair or just.

Sent from my iPhone

Michael McGrady
Principal investigator AF081_028 SBIR
Chief Architect
Topia Technology, Inc
Work 1.253.572.9712
Cel 1.253.720.3365

Posted by Dan Creswell <da...@gmail.com>.
Mmm, so back in the day we had the Jini Technical Oversight Committee -
couple of houses, one commercial, one non (I've got a feeling there was a
third house, general). I don't recall it formally anointing standards and
such but it could have done. It's a variation on the JCP ultimately which I
know is broken by virtue of abuse of an all powerful owning interest. No
need for it to be broken in our case if we allow the entire community to
decide who's on-board.

I could see a TOC like thing working reasonably well - expert developers and
expert users, working to develop specs which can then be turned into an
implementation (or indeed prototyped along the way). There is of course only
one implementation right now...

That ultimately may be what we get down to - do we entertain the idea there
may be another implementation in the future? I suspect probably not a whole
Kit but maybe individual services. If there are individual service
implementers (oh, like me, say) then specs and some kind of TOC to look
after them and protect the interests of "core" developers, independent
service implementers and users, might be a way to go.

There might well be some work to do on cleaning up specs and such to account
for com.sun.* or at least the current River implementation....

Two cents,

Dan.

Posted by Peter Firmstone <ji...@zeus.net.au>.

Posted by Dan Creswell <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
It seems to me that avoiding the term TCK is a good thing at this
point, so I like your suggestions.

[vote] Re: New name for Jini TCK?

Posted by James Grahn <jg...@simulexinc.com>.
Alternatively, we might consider something along the theme of "River
Delta" where a river meets the ocean.

Before a River opens to the wider world, it goes through the Delta.

Also, the test results represent a kind of a "delta" between what an
implementation is and what it needs to be.

I would have also suggested "confluence", where one river meets another,
but that's already taken.   I suppose there might be confusion over
"delta" as well, but I think it's more manageable because it's not an
actual product name.

Just another suggestion for where things could go, to make up for my
previous contribution.   :-)

jamesG

Posted by Gregg Wonderly <gr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Zsolt Kúti <ku...@prolan.hu>.
Thu, 18 Nov 2010 11:40:04 -0500 -n
James Grahn <jg...@simulexinc.com> írta:

> Totality Of River Testing for Undoubted Rigorous Establishment of
> Riverness
>
> TORTURER
>
> "Does my River implementation pass muster?"
> "We'll let you know as soon as we run it through the TORTURER."
:-)

Re: New name for Jini TCK? Was: Re: River-32 Clarification of Code Provenance

Posted by James Grahn <jg...@simulexinc.com>.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sim IJskes - QCG <si...@qcg.nl>.
On 18-11-10 16:36, Dennis Reedy wrote:

> River Compatibility Kit or RiCK?

+1

Re: New name for Jini TCK? Was: Re: River-32 Clarification of Code Provenance

Posted by Dennis Reedy <de...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jim Hurley <ji...@me.com>.
+1   Chastise

Posted by Peter Firmstone <ji...@zeus.net.au>.