Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> on 2016/01/14 20:33:53 UTC

[FLEXJS] POC MXML "Live" Editing

Hi,

I spend the last few days creating a proof-of-concept that FlexJS and the
Falcon compiler can support limited "live" editing of MXML.  I've never
used Design View in FB, but when tweaking the UI for Flex apps, I often
find myself in a cycle of:  edit some values in the mxml, save it, reload
the app, make more edits, etc.  Each time, the app has to be reloaded to
see the changes.  "Live" editing allows you to see certain changes without
reloading the app.  The POC handles a few scenarios that involve MXML
states.

It is kind of hard to demo, but I think these are the steps:

0. Download Apache FlexJS 0.5.0 (or the 0.6.0 nightly) and install it as
an SDK in FB.
1. Download this FB project:
http://home.apache.org/~aharui/MXMLLiveEditing/DataBindingTest.fxp
2. Download this FB project:
http://home.apache.org/~aharui/MXMLLiveEditing/MXMLLiveEditAgent.fxp

3. Import both projects into FB.
4. Run MXMLLiveEditAgent.
5. In the MXMLLiveEditAgent UI, select the MyInitialView.mxml file from
the DataBindingTest project.
6. Hit the Watch button.
7. Run DataBindingTest.
8. Make and save a change to MyInitialView.mxml

When the file is saved, a few seconds later, the changes should be
reflected in DataBindingTest.  This POC has a white list of properties, so
you can edit width, height, x, y, label, text and style properties.  And
you can edit state-bound properties like height.showAll in the TextArea
tag.

Remember that styles in FlexJS are like HTML styles, so you can add, for
example, style="marginLeft:90" to one of the tags.

This is just for tweaking the visuals of your app.  You can't edit binding
expressions or event handlers or add or remove new components.  If you do
the POC will fail.  A more robust version would probably detect such
changes and tell you to refresh the app.  Also, if you save illegal XML,
the POC will fail.  A more robust version would also watch the output SWF
to see if it changes in order to know the MXML edit didn't have syntax
errors.

The way this works is that there is a plugin added to MyInitialView that
communicates with the MXMLLiveEditAgent.  The MXMLLiveEditAgent is
monitoring the last-modified date on the file.  When it changes, it loads
the MXML and compares it to the last copy and transmits changes to the
plugin that applies them to the app.  Certain scenarios like state-bound
properties and state-bound components can be handled in because the Falcon
compiler converts a lot of the MXML into data structures that the plugin
can find and modify.  It isn't clear that you could do this in the regular
Flex SDK without finishing up Falcon compiler support in the regular Flex
SDK.

Also, none of this really requires FB.  You can unzip the FXP files, build
everything yourself and edit the MXML with a text editor and it still all
works.

Future work (hopefully by other volunteers) would be to handle changes to
CSS syntax, watch multiple files at once, and swap out the LocalConnection
to use sockets so you could "live" edit an mobile app on a device, or have
an IDE communicate directly with the running app.

Anyway, let me know what you think.  I'm off to work on other things.

Thanks,
-Alex

Re: [FLEXJS] POC MXML "Live" Editing

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 5/12/16, 11:18 PM, "jude" <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Is the MXMLLiveEditAgent.mxml the only place those methods are from? I
>thought I read somewhere that you copied those methods from somewhere
>else.
>I'm trying to find the class that those methods were originally in to
>learn
>how to parse an XML tree and then track it's changes as if a user was
>updating it constantly in an editor. I looked at the MXMLDataInterpreter
>but that looks like it's for importing.
>
>OK, I think here is where I got the idea. The comments are from
>MXMLLiveEditAgent.mxml:
>
>// we go deep first because that's how the Falcon compiler
>// generates IDs for tags that don't have id attributes set.
>
>I'm guessing that the methods are from or inspired from a class in Falcon?
>That class or code is what I'm trying to find and learn from.

Well, that's how we match up the IDs.  We need to know how the compiler
generates the array of data that represents the MXML file.  But MXML is
supposed to be valid XML, so there is no need for a custom parser, at
least for the POC.  Maybe you will need more smarts later.  You can look
at the Falcon MXML parser if you want, but I'm pretty sure I didn't borrow
code from there.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 5/13/16, 7:16 AM, "jude" <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Thanks. I'll look into it. I think what that's doing is working with an
>existing instance and checking for changes to it. I think I have to parse
>string into a new XML instance each time and then do a compare.

Yes, that's correct.  And I believe that tree comparison is an entire
field of algorithm research [1]

However, there is another approach to consider which is essentially
writing an MXML compiler in ActionScript.  Maybe you don't care about the
changes, you just want to rewrite the data array that the compiler
generated and have that data re-interpreted.  This option is possible
because the framework uses a data array and not actual code.  So it might
be possible to read the MXML, parse it into a tree, and just walk the tree
instead of comparing it to the old tree.  You would have to have some way
to track and re-use event handlers in the old array though.  I think you
will also need some way to "give up" and say that the changes were too
complex and you must reload the app.  The compiler could also be taught to
output extra information to help you track code.

And also consider the opposite problem: modify live and write out the
results.  The POC works by having an Agent communicate with a plug-in in a
running SWF.  The Agent and/or plug-in could also popup UI to highlight
components in the running app and let you tweak those values in a GUI.
Then those changes could be written to the MXML.

Lots of possibilities here.  I'm glad to see that you are interested.  I
hope to see something like this in an IDE someday.

-Alex

[1]
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5894879/detect-differences-between-tree-
structures

Re: [FLEXJS] POC MXML "Live" Editing

Posted by jude <fl...@gmail.com>.
Thanks. I'll look into it. I think what that's doing is working with an
existing instance and checking for changes to it. I think I have to parse a

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
Is this useful?
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/FlashPlatform/reference/actionscript/3/mx/utils/XMLNotifier.html#watchXML%28%29

On May 13, 2016, at 9:18 AM, jude <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is the MXMLLiveEditAgent.mxml the only place those methods are from? I
> thought I read somewhere that you copied those methods from somewhere else.
> I'm trying to find the class that those methods were originally in to learn
> how to parse an XML tree and then track it's changes as if a user was
> updating it constantly in an editor. I looked at the MXMLDataInterpreter
> but that looks like it's for importing.
>
> OK, I think here is where I got the idea. The comments are from
> MXMLLiveEditAgent.mxml:
>
> // we go deep first because that's how the Falcon compiler
> // generates IDs for tags that don't have id attributes set.
>
> I'm guessing that the methods are from or inspired from a class in Falcon?
> That class or code is what I'm trying to find and learn from.
>

> On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 11:08 PM, Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:
>

>> On 5/12/16, 5:31 PM, "jude" <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I read somewhere, and it might have been the code comments, that you used
>>> some code from mxmlc or maybe it was an class used in Eclipse MXML class
>>> parse the MXML and compute the changes for your live MXML PoC. I'm trying
>>> to find the class that had the following functions:
>>>
>>> parseFile();
>>> computeChanges();

Posted by jude <fl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by jude <fl...@gmail.com>.
I read somewhere, and it might have been the code comments, that you used
some code from mxmlc or maybe it was an class used in Eclipse MXML class to
parse the MXML and compute the changes for your live MXML PoC. I'm trying
to find the class that had the following functions:

 parseFile();
 computeChanges();
 applyChanges();

The PoC you made works supports computing the changes for adding, modifying
and removing attributes. That make sense. Now I'm trying to figure out how
to tell if an XML element has been added or removed. I have some theories
but would like to confirm them before starting anything.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by jude <fl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 1/15/16, 6:23 PM, "omuppi1@gmail.com on behalf of OmPrakash Muppirala"
<omuppi1@gmail.com on behalf of bigosmallm@gmail.com> wrote:

>One really cool feature would be to have a website where we can invite
>users to 'try out' FlexJS.  Essentially like JSFiddle, where you can type
>mxml/as3 code and see the results in the adjacent panel.  Is that
>possible?

Possible?  Probably.

Putting up two text areas, uploading the contents, compiling it and having
the page load it doesn't sound too hard.  But I think once you get into
code-coloring, code-assistance, error reporting, etc it starts to become
real work.  It would be a good dog-food test to try to create it with
FlexJS.  Any volunteers?

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
One really cool feature would be to have a website where we can invite
users to 'try out' FlexJS.  Essentially like JSFiddle, where you can type
mxml/as3 code and see the results in the adjacent panel.  Is that possible?

Thanks,
Om

Posted by jude <fl...@gmail.com>.
Once I have some more of it decoupled I'll work on folding that code back
in. I'll provide another update when that happens.

It looks like the screenshots didn't go through. http://imgur.com/a/aKp2U
The first is codepen with html, css and js window and rendering on the
bottom. The second image is Radiate with rendering on the top and page
html, layout html and css on the bottom. The rendering area is not showing
the rendering of the html as it normally does since I'm doing a refactor.
The third image is the Live MXML Editor showing a rendering area on top and
a problems view and mxml editor on bottom.

The live editor code is here,
https://github.com/monkeypunch3/Radii8/blob/master/Radii8Desktop/src/LiveMXMLEditor.mxml.
The setup instructions are here if anyone wants to try and get it working,
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLEX/Setting+up+the+Radii8+Development+Environment.

Note: It looks like developers on Windows are getting a less than stellar
experience than if you run it on a Mac. In the browser it's always just
worked but I found out that Native menus are only a Mac thing so a bunch of
errors were popping up when launching it on the desktop. Hopefully, the
next update will alleviate those issues.

If you wanted you could adapt the MiniInspector
<https://github.com/monkeypunch3/flexcapacitor/blob/master/MainLibrary/src/com/flexcapacitor/utils/MiniInspector.as>
class to work with FlexJS. You add it to your project in declarations and
then at runtime when you hold down cmd and click it finds the object under
the mouse pointer. It finds the top most item in the display list and
isolates it. Then you click on the label and it gives you a property and
value text inputs. You can then change the values at runtime. Any changed
values are traced to the console so you can update your MXML as you change
values in the runtime swf. http://imgur.com/a/3ipJE

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Sounds very promising.

From: jude <fl...@gmail.com>>
Date: Thursday, April 28, 2016 at 7:19 AM
To: "dev@flex.apache.org<ma...@flex.apache.org>" <de...@flex.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: [FLEXJS] POC MXML "Live" Editing

Posted by jude <fl...@gmail.com>.
[...]

uses reflection. You could have a sortof codepen.io for FlexJS. You'd have
a basic rendered view, problems view, editor with code completion and
linked documentation.

If anyone wants to help they're welcome to join in. If you don't have time
but want to help I'm considering setting up a Patreon which would help move
things along.

This is different than the POC because that watches a file. For it to run
in the browser we'd have to make some adjustments which is what the
DocumentTranscoder classes are about.

I'm providing this update because people on this list have asked for
updates.

Disclaimer:
Radii8 = donated project to Apache Flex. hosted at apache
Radiate (name subject to change) = project based on Radii8 with product
releases, blog updates, etc. hosted at github and radii8.com (domain name

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by OK <OK...@edscha.com>.