Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com> on 2013/08/28 17:30:44 UTC

[c++] give application more direct control over reconnect & replay

I have a proposal[1] for a small addition to the qpid::messaging API
that makes the reconnect feature less of an 'all or nothing' affair[2].
For background context, this limitation was brought up most recently on
the dev list back in June[3].

Basically it exposes a new reconnect() method allowing the application
to catch the TransportFailure and decide if and when and where to
reconnect. Invoking that method then re-establishes all the
sessions/senders/receivers and replays indoubt messages.

Any feedback welcome as usual, either here or on reviewboard.

--Gordon.

[1] https://reviews.apache.org/r/13885/
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/QPID-4932
[3]
http://qpid.2158936.n2.nabble.com/Qpid-post-mortem-and-request-for-suggestions-for-my-next-release-challenge-10M-msgs-sec-on-Windows-tp7594096p7594258.html

Re: [c++] give application more direct control over reconnect & replay

Posted by NimbusParc <ni...@yahoo.in>.
+1

Gordon Sim wrote

Posted by Jakub Scholz <ja...@scholz.cz>.
Thanks Gordon. I appreciate it.

Regards
Jakub

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Jakub Scholz <ja...@scholz.cz>.
Hi Gordon,

That definitely looks like a very nice feature. There are many situations
when you want to trigger the reconnect manually and not leave it fully on
the client library.

Right now, it seems that the reconnect(...) method always requires the URL
of the broker to reconnect to. Maybe it would be useful to also add a
reconnect() method without the URL parameter, to trigger the reconnect
based on the URL which was specified when creating the connection.

Thanks & Regards
Jakub