Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Bernd Eckenfels <ec...@zusammenkunft.net> on 2014/12/24 14:04:51 UTC

[parent] tag in scmUrl

Hello,

in the [parent] release after-math I noticed that the BUIDLING.txt does
not talk about the <scm> tag. Consequently releases 33-36 contained a
trunk URL. However in 32 for example there was a "proper"
tags/commons-parent-32.

I wonder, is it intentional, that this is no longer required/defined,
or just an oversight?

I think it would be good to add it back to the description.

I already added a section for post-release (where you would return the
url to the trunk version). WDYT?

The advantage is clearly, that you can actually check out the released
source from the POM without searchign around. (sorry that I noticed
this only after my release :)

Gruss
Bernd

Re: [parent] tag in scmUrl

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2014-12-24, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:

> I wonder, is it intentional, that this is no longer required/defined,
> or just an oversight?

We're not very explicit about this, but at least a part of the releasing
guide for components says:

,----
| Edit the SCM entries in the parent POM. Note: use the final tag, without
| any RC suffix.
|
| <http://commons.apache.org/releases/prepare.html#Manual_Method>
`----

No idea why this talks about parent POM (even though I've likely written
it myself :-).  IMHO it is an oversight.

> I think it would be good to add it back to the description.

good idea.

Stefan