Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Jonathan Mangin <jo...@comcast.net> on 2004/02/09 15:23:29 UTC

Registry not loaded...script still works

I have a static installation of mod_perl-1.29 with apache-1.3.29.
Apache::Registry lines are commented in httpd.conf and startup.pl.
Apache::Status shows that ::Registry is not loaded.
Why does my script still work??

PerlRequire /usr/local/apache/perl/lib/startup.pl
# PerlFreshRestart On
PerlTaintCheck On

Alias /perl-bin/ /usr/local/apache/perl-bin/

# PerlModule Apache::Registry
# PerlModule Apache::DB

<Location /perl-bin/>
#   PerlFixupHandler Apache::DB
   SetHandler perl-script
   PerlHandler Apache::Registry
   Options ExecCGI
#   PerlSendHeader On
   Allow from all
</Location>

Re: Registry not loaded...script still works

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Jonathan Mangin wrote:
> I have a static installation of mod_perl-1.29 with apache-1.3.29.
> Apache::Registry lines are commented in httpd.conf and startup.pl.
> Apache::Status shows that ::Registry is not loaded.
> Why does my script still work??
>

> PerlRequire /usr/local/apache/perl/lib/startup.pl
> # PerlFreshRestart On
> PerlTaintCheck On
>
> Alias /perl-bin/ /usr/local/apache/perl-bin/
>
> # PerlModule Apache::Registry
> # PerlModule Apache::DB
>
> <Location /perl-bin/>
> #   PerlFixupHandler Apache::DB
>    SetHandler perl-script
>    PerlHandler Apache::Registry
>    Options ExecCGI
> #   PerlSendHeader On
>    Allow from all
> </Location>

Your problem is this: Apache::Status shows the status of the *current*
process. If you haven't run the script in this process before, it won't have
A-R loaded. In order to avoid this kind of confusions, you need to test under
a single server mode, i.e. starting Apache as 'httpd -X'.

Re: Registry not loaded...script still works

Posted by Jonathan Mangin <jo...@comcast.net>.

> It can work as a CGI script without Apache::Registry.  If you want to
> be sure what's going on, put some debugging statements in the code so
> that they will tell you what is being ewxecuted (and, by a process of
> deduction, what isn't).

Well, silly me. :)  I expect (and prefer) directives in a configuration
file to be absolute, and hope for something to break when I try to
break it. ;)  Thanks, though.

> 73,
> Ged.
>
> PS: your ISP seems to be telling me that your mailbox is disabled.

I had trouble posting to this list (only) another time. Here's part
of what bounced back this time...

   could not be gateway to this address

   For more information about this gateway send a mail to
   Alexander Uskov 2:5083/121 or al@fido.almaty.idc.kz

Any clues about this guy in Kazoo(?:) and why a transaction between
an ISP in Indianapolis, Indiana USA and perl.apache.org cares?

Re: Registry not loaded...script still works

Posted by Ged Haywood <ge...@www2.jubileegroup.co.uk>.
Hi there,

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004, Jonathan Mangin wrote:

> I have a static installation of mod_perl-1.29 with apache-1.3.29.

Makes no diffference in this case.

> Apache::Registry lines are commented in httpd.conf and startup.pl.

Well some of them seem to be... :)