Posted to dev@clerezza.apache.org by Daniel Spicar <ds...@apache.org> on 2012/02/08 11:39:26 UTC

Documenting the Release Process

Hi,

Given that we finally managed to make a release I think it is time to make
sure the next one does not take this long. I would like to create a
document about our release process that compiles information from different
sources. Among those sources I see pointers to the official apache
resources  covering the subject and explanations about the official
requirements in regard to Clerezza. Also, I would like to have a sort of
checklist for people that are doing releases to follow. Of course it will
probably never cover 100% of the tasks necessary but it will guide them,
especially if they have never done a release before. I am aware of this
Document [1] which includes many of the things needed, including a
checklist. I don't want to replace the Document but I would like to put it
in the context of Clerezza and elaborate on Clerezza-specifics, e.g. "Check
license headers are correctly applied" should include a list which (type
of) files in Clerezza may not need them for some reason. I would also like
to define how to review a release. This would be something similar to this
[2].

I think now is the time for this because we (especially Reto) have a lot of
knowledge about what to do and it's fresh in memory ;)

I can take the lead on writing that document but I will need some resources:
- I need people with some experience with releases and the specific
requirements (e.g. Reto, Tommaso) to collaborate with me.
- For collaboration on such a document Wikis are ideal. Plus they allow to
fix the document quickly, when discrepancies or missing information are
found in future releases. Do we have one? How do we get one? Do you have a
better idea?

Best,
Daniel

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html
[2]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/DeltaSpike/Reviewing+a+Release

Re: Documenting the Release Process

Posted by Reto Bachmann-Gmür <re...@apache.org>.
Hi,

For the relase to be truly done clerezza should be in maven central. For
this we need to have nexus access, see (and possibly vote for)

Cheers,
Reto

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
2012/2/13 Reto Bachmann-Gmür <re...@apache.org>

> The idea was once to have a clerezza instance we could use to
> collaboratively edit documents. But our bsd jail seems to slow for that
> purpose. Unless there are specific reasons for confluence I would prefer
> the open source solution.

+1 for MoinMoin, it's much more effective for open source projects in my
experience.

Tommaso

Posted by Reto Bachmann-Gmür <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Daniel Spicar <ds...@apache.org>.