Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Richard Downer <ri...@apache.org> on 2017/09/29 12:21:45 UTC

listTemplates: multiple items with same ID

Hello,

I'm debugging an issue on behalf of one of our users. We are using Apache jclouds to talk to Apache CloudStack which is on a customer's site.

jclouds is invoking the `listTemplates` API, but is then choking while processing the query results. It seems that on this CloudStack instance, there are multiple templates with same ID - these all seem to refer to the same OS image, but in different zones - and jclouds doesn't like it when things have the same ID but different content.

Digging through the email archives, I found this message:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/cloudstack-dev/201501.mbox/%3C54C6C184.3010306@gmail.com%3E
..which suggests that if a template is cross-zone, then it has the same ID in all zones.

However the templates in this case all have "crossZones":false, and the above linked message sets the expectation that templates will NOT have the same ID.

Could somebody confirm the expectations for uniqueness of template IDs? Is it guaranteed that (under normal circumstances) template IDs are unique except for when crossZones is set - or is duplicate template IDs always a possibility? Does jclouds need to change its understanding of the uniqueness of template IDs, or is there something odd about this customer's CloudStack installation?

Thanks!

Richard.

Re: listTemplates: multiple items with same ID

Posted by Sergey Levitskiy <se...@hotmail.com>.
As long as template is copied from zone to zone it will present with duplicate ID. This is by design. crossZone parameter is to indicate to auto replicate template across all available zone on template creation. To put it differently only combination of template ID and zone ID is a primary key for template querying.

Thanks,
Sergey

Re: listTemplates: multiple items with same ID

Posted by Rafael Weingärtner <ra...@gmail.com>.
How many zones does this ACS deployment have? Also, would it be possible
for you to post some these duplicated entries for us here?

--
Rafael Weingärtner

Re: listTemplates: multiple items with same ID

Posted by Rafael Weingärtner <ra...@gmail.com>.

--
Rafael Weingärtner

Re: listTemplates: multiple items with same ID

Posted by Rafael Weingärtner <ra...@gmail.com>.

--
Rafael Weingärtner