Posted to oak-dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Michael Marth <mm...@adobe.com> on 2016/05/01 20:30:27 UTC

Re: Another question about oak: different storage support

Hi Francesco,

To my knowledge one cannot add (on Oak level) a number of additional discs.
As a workaround one could mount (on OS-level) different discs into the file store’s directory. This would somewhat help with increasing disc size. It would not help with storing different types of binaries in different locations as the binaries are stored content-addressed (so the context of file type etc is lost at the datastore level).

In order to have multiple (chained) data stores: I am sure there would be great interest in the Oak community for such a feature. IIRC there is such a chained implementation in Jackrabbit 2, but I cannot find it right now.
The interesting aspect of a multiple datastores: reading is simple (just go along the chain). But rules where to write are more involved because of the content-addressed nature of the DS.

There is an improvement issue regarding related work in
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OAK-3140

Cheers
Michael

From: Ancona Francesco <Fr...@siav.it>>
Date: Friday 29 April 2016 18:43
To: "oak-dev@jackrabbit.apache.org<ma...@jackrabbit.apache.org>" <oa...@jackrabbit.apache.org>>
Cc: Morelli Alessandra <Al...@siav.it>>, Carboniero Enrico <En...@siav.it>>, Diquigiovanni Simone <Si...@siav.it>>
Subject: Another question about oak: different storage support

Hi,
as i explained in other mail, we are building an ECM on top of OAK.

A frequent business question about storage management is the following: in oak configuration in which we have mongo as document store and filesystem, we set a specific path where we mount the storage; if we have space problem, can we mount another storage? In other world, oak can manage multiple BlobStore and so use different filesystem path to store binary data ?

It could be useful if i want manage different type of storage linked to different type of documents: for example i could store a document type in a NAS while another in a SAN if i want better performance.

Thanks in advance,
best regards

[cid:image002.png@01D1A247.0EB3D7E0]
Francesco Ancona | Software Dev. Dept. (SP) - Software Architect
tel. +39 049 8979797 | fax +39 049 8978800 | cel. +39 3299060325
e-mail: francesco.ancona@siav.it<ma...@siav.it> | www.siav.it

I contenuti di questa e-mail e dei suoi allegati sono confidenziali e riservati esclusivamente ai destinatari.
L'utilizzo per qualunque fine del presente messaggio e degli allegati così come la relativa divulgazione senza l'autorizzazione del mittente sono vietati.
Se avete ricevuto questa e-mail per errore, vi preghiamo di distruggerla e di comunicarcelo.
I dati personali sono trattati esclusivamente per le finalità della presente comunicazione in conformità con la legislazione vigente (D.lgs. 196/2003 "Codice Privacy").
Per informazioni: SIAV S.p.A. – siav@siav.it<ma...@siav.it> – 049 8979797

The contents of this e-mail and its attachments are confidential and reserved exclusively to the recipients.
The use for any purpose of this message and attachments as well as its disclosure without the consent of the sender is prohibited.
If you have received this email in error, please destroy it and notify us.
Personal data shall be processed solely for the purposes of this notice in accordance with current legislation (Legislative Decree no. 196/2003 "Code").
For more information: SIAV S.p.A. – siav@siav.it<ma...@siav.it> – 049 8979797

R: Another question about oak: different storage support