Posted to user@impala.apache.org by Danny Morgan <un...@hotmail.com> on 2017/02/02 14:55:01 UTC

Re: Impala Hbase Security

Hi Everyone, any luck?

________________________________
From: Danny Morgan <un...@hotmail.com>
Sent: Friday, January 27, 2017 10:08:12 PM
To: user@impala.incubator.apache.org
Subject: Impala Hbase Security

Does Impala support HBase security? Can Impala impersonation end users when
 access HBase?

Does Impala work with Kerberized HBase?

Thank You

Re: Impala Hbase Security

Posted by Jeszy <je...@gmail.com>.
Hey Danny,

As far as I know Sentry doesn't work with HBase out of the box (so not
sure about Sentry's HBase model).

If you use Sentry, Impala will validate against Sentry's privilege db
(it's cached version in the catalog) before doing anything. That means
that if Impala is the only interface to HBase, you can use Sentry to
control access. Since this is not the case, I think assuming that the
'impala' user is allowed to access anything would work (since the
effective user is cleared against Sentry previously), but you would
have to manually sync HBase and Sentry privileges to cover other
clients.
This last part is what Sentry's HDFS sync takes care of in HDFS-backed
tables. I am not a security guru by any means, so handle with care :)

HTH

Re: Impala Hbase Security

Posted by Tim Armstrong <ta...@cloudera.com>.

Re: Impala Hbase Security

Re: Impala Hbase Security

Posted by Tim Armstrong <ta...@cloudera.com>.

Re: Impala Hbase Security

Re: Impala Hbase Security

Posted by Tim Armstrong <ta...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Danny,

Re: Impala Hbase Security

Posted by Sailesh Mukil <sa...@cloudera.com>.
https://www.cloudera.com/documentation/enterprise/5-8-x/topics/impala_hbase.html

The Impala docs just specify: "For details about HBase security, see
the Security
chapter in the HBase Reference Guide
<http://hbase.apache.org/book/ch08s04.html>."

That link has a section on "Client-side Configuration for Secure
Operation" which
can be tried to see if it works. It should work if configured correctly but
it's hard to tell as AFAIK, our testing does not include Impala over HBase
in a secure environment.

Re: Impala Hbase Security

Posted by Tim Armstrong <ta...@cloudera.com>.