Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com> on 2006/11/21 13:00:22 UTC

M2 pom's for 1.1 are defect: Require axis2-1.1.0.1

Hi,

I am sorry to say, but I have found that the POM files for Axis2 1.1
have a serious defect, making transitive dependencies absolutely
useless. This is a problem for all Maven 2 users, that intend to use
these files for development.

Unfortunately, the Maven repository doesn't allow to update files. One
can only deploy new files with incremented version numbers. In other
words, I cannot fix my error without deploying new POM files to the
repository. In particular, I need to create a new version number.
While that's no problem in itself, I need to deploy the Axis 2 jar
files as well, with the updated version numbers: POM files and jar
files are linked together by name!

In other words: I need to deploy, for example,

    axis2-parent-1.1.0.1.pom
    axis2-kernel-1.1.0.1.pom
    axis2-kernel-1.1.0.1.jar

(The jar files being identical with axis2-kernel-1.1.jar, ...)

How I increment the version number, doesn't matter. I could was well
use a version number like 1.1.m2.1 or whatever.

The reason I am posting this is, that pom files are distributables. In
other words, they should have the an explicit ok by developers and
PMC: I'll need to start a vote on this list. Because the vote is on a
very unusual subject, I am asking in advance, whether there are any
problems with my intention?

Thanks,

Jochen

murder, yes, but divorce, never.
(Jack Benny)

Re: M2 pom's for 1.1 are defect: Require axis2-1.1.0.1

Posted by Thilina Gunarathne <cs...@gmail.com>.
Jochen,
We would like to hear more about the defect too. May be you can open a
JIRA (Not sure whether there's a one already)..

So that we can be more careful at least the next time :(..

http://webservices.apache.org/~thilina/
http://thilinag.blogspot.com/

Re: M2 pom's for 1.1 are defect: Require axis2-1.1.0.1

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Jochen,