Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Kenneth Porter <sh...@sewingwitch.com> on 2006/11/28 03:40:16 UTC

Re: HTML Validator

--On Friday, March 10, 2006 5:08 PM -0800 Kenneth Porter
<sh...@sewingwitch.com> wrote:

> Anyone know of a good validator that can be run over a MIME part to
> report on the quality of the HTML? This might be used as a go/no-go
> filter at milter level, or it could be used as an SA plugin to assign a
> variable score based on the quality of the HTML.
>
> For mailing lists catering to newbies who love HTML and can't understand
> why us old-timers hate it, we can set the list to exclude all invalid
> HTML. "Sure, we'll accept your HTML. But only if it's really HTML. Not
> that crap that most MUA's write."

I was trying to remember a web page I found that counseled not to use
DOCTYPE and HTML tags around email to escape spam filters (pretty weird
advice IMO) and I ran across indications that AOL is rejecting mail that
fails to pass validation:

<http://www.petefreitag.com/item/307.cfm>
<http://info.aol.co.uk/about/spam/mailer-daemon.adp>
<http://postmaster.info.aol.com/errors/554hvufo.html>