Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Sunburned Surveyor <su...@gmail.com> on 2007/08/29 21:49:50 UTC

Contributing to Jakarta Commons

I've been using Jakarta commons for a few months now. I've been
programming in Java as "hobby" for a few years, so I'm not what you
would call a professional. However, I have a good basic knowledge of
Java.

I would like to contribute to Jakarta Commons if possible. My main
interests are in the Math, Lang, and Collection modules. I'm currently
working on some classes that manipulate angles, directions, and
bearings that might be appropriate for the Math package. I'm also
working on a large point number format that provides an alternative to
BigDecimal for exact mathematical calculations. I hope to use this
large number format for some statistical calculations.

I'm also working on a FILO collection as part of a data caching mechanism.

At any rate, I know I need to get up to speed on the Jakarta Commons
coding style and other requirements for contributing. I should also
get in touch with the maintainer/maintainers for the Math module.

I know how to work with SVN, so I shouldn't have any major problems
downloading code from Jakarta Commons.

I look forward to working with the Jakarta Commons community, if it is possible.

The Sunburned Surveyor

Re: Contributing to Jakarta Commons

Posted by Sunburned Surveyor <su...@gmail.com>.
Simon,

Thank you for the quick response. After reading your e-mail I realized
that my understanding of the purpose for the Jakarta Commons may have
been incorrect. I totally understand the need to avoid bloating the
libraries, and to "vet" or justify new additions to the library.

With this in mind, I think it may be appropriate to find another home
for my utility code. I will however contribute bug reports and patches
for my work with the existing Jakarta Commons code if possible.

Thanks again.

The Sunburned Surveyor

Posted by simon <si...@chello.at>.
Hi,

Posted by Sunburned Surveyor <su...@gmail.com>.
I'll see if I can add a ticket today Luc.

The Sunburned Surveyor

Posted by lu...@free.fr.