Posted to user@hadoop.apache.org by Krishna Rao <kr...@gmail.com> on 2014/03/27 10:22:48 UTC

Job froze for hours because of an unresponsive disk on one of the task trackers

Hi,

we have a daily Hive script that usually takes a few hours to run. The
other day I notice one of the jobs was taking in excess of a few hours.
Digging into it I saw that there were 3 attempts to launch a job on a
single node:

Task Id Start Time Finish Time
Error
task_201312241250_46714_r_000048 Error launching task
task_201312241250_46714_r_000049 Error launching task
task_201312241250_46714_r_000050 Error launching task

I later found out that this node had a dodgy/unresponsive disk (still being
tested right now).

We've seen tasks fail in the past, but re-submitted to another node and
succeeding. So, shouldn't this task have been kicked off on another node
after the first failure? Is there anything I could be missing in terms of
configuration that should be set?

We're using CDH4.4.0.

Cheers,

Krishna

Re: Job froze for hours because of an unresponsive disk on one of the task trackers

Posted by Krishna Rao <kr...@gmail.com>.
I noticed, but none of the jobs ended up being re-submitted! And all 3 of
those jobs failed on the same node. All we know is that the disk on that
node became unresponsive.

Posted by Krishna Rao <kr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Krishna Rao <kr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Krishna Rao <kr...@gmail.com>.