Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by John Patrick <nh...@gmail.com> on 2022/02/20 10:08:18 UTC

Commons Jelly not currently building PR's

So wanted to update commons-jelly.

It's using travis and the default distro won't allow Java 1.7 to be
installed. So raised PR https://github.com/apache/commons-jelly/pull/8 to
fix that.

Now the build starts but I think due to Java 1.5 being the source and
target it's got another issue with DataSourceWrapper missing
getParentLogger.

Questions;

1) Should I just look at getting GitHub Actions working? And drop travis?

2) What min Java version should I bump it too, as Java 1.5 seams too old?

3) If I'm doing a major java version change, should I bump the version?
should I create jira ticket covering work?

Cheers,
John

Re: Commons Jelly not currently building PR's

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
Hello John,

In general, we've dropped Travis in favor of GitHub. We just did not get
around to do it for all components. No need for a Jira for that.

Updating Java for a component is always a challenge because some people are
usually ok with it and some not. You'll have to start a specific email
thread for that topic. That one would need a ticket. I would suggest Java 8
since it is LTS and the most used Java version in Apache Commons.

TY,
Gary