Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2012/01/16 00:29:12 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 7.0.24

The proposed Apache Tomcat 7.0.24 release is now available for voting.

It can be obtained from:
http://people.apache.org/~markt/dev/tomcat-7/v7.0.24/
The svn tag is:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc7.0.x/tags/TOMCAT_7_0_24/

The proposed 7.0.24 release is:
[ ] Broken - do not release
[ ] Stable - go ahead and release as 7.0.24 Stable

I dropped both alpha and beta as if it is not stable, I'll re-roll the
release.

Cheers,

Mark

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 7.0.24

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 15/01/2012 23:29, Mark Thomas wrote:
> The proposed Apache Tomcat 7.0.24 release is now available for voting.
>
> It can be obtained from:
> http://people.apache.org/~markt/dev/tomcat-7/v7.0.24/
> The svn tag is:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc7.0.x/tags/TOMCAT_7_0_24/
>
> The proposed 7.0.24 release is:
> [X] Broken - do not release
> [ ] Stable - go ahead and release as 7.0.24 Stable
>
> I dropped both alpha and beta as if it is not stable, I'll re-roll the
> release.

Broken since the src distro doesn't contain everything it should.

On the plus side, the unit tests all pass as do all the TCKs in the
usual combinations.

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
On 17.01.2012 02:15, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
> 2012/1/17 Mark Thomas<ma...@apache.org>:

>>> If there are no side effect to dropping this exclude, you may do it (I really don't know enough of the build system of tomcat).
>>> Otherwise I can rename those directories so that it is not excluded. Just let me know.
>>
>> If I recall correctly, those directories are excluded because some IDEs
>> use that name by default. If you could rename them that would be great.
>
> Not IDEs, but Maven. It writes its output into directories named
> "target", in each of its modules. (I guess that is not configurable,
> grr...)
>
> That is why "target" was present in .gitignore when it was first added,
> [1] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1187740
>
> This fault is a combination of mine
> [2] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1204938
>
> that applied patterns from gitignore to src distribution and of Sylvain's
> [3] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1209731
>
> when Sylvain removed that line from ".gitignore"
> and used that name in his commit.
>

> I am generally in favor of using more targeted patterns in "dist-source" target,
> (That is, comment out "**/target/**" for now, with a comment that we
> use that name,
> and add the same comment to .gitignore
> and later exclude more specific patterns when a need comes)
> but consider if one of developers used Maven to work on something in modules.

Done in r1232345 (trunk) and r1232346 (tc7).

> Currently modules/jdbc-pool and modules/tomcat-lite have pom.xml,
> though svn:ignore property on those directories does not list "target"
> as excluded.

Regards,

Rainer

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 7.0.24

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 17/01/2012 09:11, Rainer Jung wrote:
> On 17.01.2012 09:46, Mark Thomas wrote:
>> In that case, I agree with your plan below and will do that shortly.
>
> Sorry Mark, didn't see your response earlier, I hope there was no energy
> wasted by doing duplicate work.

Not at all. I saw your commit just before I started work.

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 17/01/2012 01:15, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
> 2012/1/17 Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>:

>>> If there are no side effect to dropping this exclude, you may do it (I really don't know enough of the build system of tomcat).
>>> Otherwise I can rename those directories so that it is not excluded. Just let me know.
>>
>> If I recall correctly, those directories are excluded because some IDEs
>> use that name by default. If you could rename them that would be great.
>
> Not IDEs, but Maven. It writes its output into directories named
> "target", in each of its modules. (I guess that is not configurable,
> grr...)
>
> That is why "target" was present in .gitignore when it was first added,
> [1] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1187740
>
> This fault is a combination of mine
> [2] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1204938
>
> that applied patterns from gitignore to src distribution and of Sylvain's
> [3] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1209731
>
> when Sylvain removed that line from ".gitignore"
> and used that name in his commit.

Thanks for the full explanation. I didn't have time to look into that
yesterday.

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
2012/1/17 Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>:
> 2012/1/17 Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>:

>>> If there are no side effect to dropping this exclude, you may do it (I really don't know enough of the build system of tomcat).
>>> Otherwise I can rename those directories so that it is not excluded. Just let me know.
>>
>> If I recall correctly, those directories are excluded because some IDEs
>> use that name by default. If you could rename them that would be great.
>
> Not IDEs, but Maven. It writes its output into directories named
> "target", in each of its modules. (I guess that is not configurable,
> grr...)

See http://maven.apache.org/ref/3.0.3/maven-model/maven.html#class_build
directory element.
:P

> That is why "target" was present in .gitignore when it was first added,
> [1] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1187740
>
> This fault is a combination of mine
> [2] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1204938
>
> that applied patterns from gitignore to src distribution and of Sylvain's
> [3] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1209731
>
> when Sylvain removed that line from ".gitignore"
> and used that name in his commit.
>

> I am generally in favor of using more targeted patterns in "dist-source" target,
> (That is, comment out "**/target/**" for now, with a comment that we
> use that name,
> and add the same comment to .gitignore
> and later exclude more specific patterns when a need comes)
> but consider if one of developers used Maven to work on something in modules.
>
> Currently modules/jdbc-pool and modules/tomcat-lite have pom.xml,
> though svn:ignore property on those directories does not list "target"
> as excluded.
>
> Best regards,
> Konstantin Kolinko

Olivier Lamy
Talend: http://coders.talend.com

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 7.0.24

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sylvain Laurent <sy...@m4x.org>.
On 16 janv. 2012, at 10:44, Rainer Jung wrote:

> 1) Unit test failure due to missing target directory in src dist
>
> I noticed that test/webapp-3.0-virtual-library/target is missing from the src dist. So when rebuilding from src dist and running unit tests, I get a failure in TestVirtualContext, because some resource which is usually retrieved form the target dir is missing:
>
> Testcase: testVirtualClassLoader took 7.434 sec
>        FAILED
> expected:<200> but was:<404>
> junit.framework.AssertionFailedError: expected:<200> but was:<404>
>        at org.apache.catalina.loader.TestVirtualContext.assertPageContains(TestVirtualContext.java:302)
>        at org.apache.catalina.loader.TestVirtualContext.assertPageContains(TestVirtualContext.java:294)
>        at org.apache.catalina.loader.TestVirtualContext.testVirtualClassLoader(TestVirtualContext.java:100)
>
> AFAIK the root cause is, that we exclude **/target/** in the ant target dist-source from being copied.
>
> Note that there is also test/webapp-3.0-virtual-library/target.
>
> I don't know, whether we can simply drop this exclude, or should rename the directory. I CC'd Sylvain explicitely, maybe he can comment on it.

If there are no side effect to dropping this exclude, you may do it (I really don't know enough of the build system of tomcat).
Otherwise I can rename those directories so that it is not excluded. Just let me know.

Sylvain

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 7.0.24

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
On 16.01.2012 00:29, Mark Thomas wrote:
> The proposed Apache Tomcat 7.0.24 release is now available for voting.
>
> It can be obtained from:
> http://people.apache.org/~markt/dev/tomcat-7/v7.0.24/
> The svn tag is:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc7.0.x/tags/TOMCAT_7_0_24/
>
> The proposed 7.0.24 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [ ] Stable - go ahead and release as 7.0.24 Stable
>
> I dropped both alpha and beta as if it is not stable, I'll re-roll the
> release.

Two problems noticed:

[...]

2) Crash during Unit tests for APR
==================================

Testcase: testAdditionalWebInfClassesPaths took 0.623 sec
WARN: Test failure in
'output/build/logs/TEST-org.apache.tomcat.util.net.TestXxxEndpoint.APR.txt':
Testsuite: org.apache.tomcat.util.net.TestXxxEndpoint
Tests run: 1, Failures: 0, Errors: 1, Time elapsed: 0 sec

Testcase: testStartStopBindOnStart took 0.005 sec
»·······Caused an ERROR
Forked Java VM exited abnormally. Please note the time in the report
does not reflect the time until the VM exit.
junit.framework.AssertionFailedError: Forked Java VM exited abnormally.
Please note the time in the report does not reflect the time until the
VM exit.

HotSpot and pstack say it was in the HotSot Compiler:

Stack: [0xb6f00000,0xb6f80000],  sp=0xb6f7e3c0,  free space=504k
Native frames: (J=compiled Java code, j=interpreted, Vv=VM code,
C=native code)
V  [libjvm.so+0xfc598]  unsigned IndexSetIterator::advance_and_next()+0x13c
V  [libjvm.so+0x18a7dc]  void PhaseIFG::SquareUp()+0x178
V  [libjvm.so+0x1b6000]  void PhaseChaitin::Register_Allocate()+0xab4
V  [libjvm.so+0x1b8bc4]  void Compile::Code_Gen()+0x39c
V  [libjvm.so+0x431098]
Compile::Compile(ciEnv*,C2Compiler*,ciMethod*,int,bool,bool)+0xdb0
V  [libjvm.so+0x1d2cd8]  void
C2Compiler::compile_method(ciEnv*,ciMethod*,int)+0xa8
V  [libjvm.so+0x1d3b64]  void
CompileBroker::invoke_compiler_on_method(CompileTask*)+0x99c
V  [libjvm.so+0x245d88]  void CompileBroker::compiler_thread_loop()+0x8d0
V  [libjvm.so+0x873688]  void JavaThread::thread_main_inner()+0x50
V  [libjvm.so+0x79357c]  java_start+0x178

The only other likely thread would be the APR thread:

  b6c32708 __umoddi3 (0, cad85ac0, 0, 16f7, 0, b6c85b88) + 48
  b6b7d064 BN_mod_word (1be7c0, 16f7, 7, 0, 16fb1c, b) + 64
  b6b7f530 probable_prime (1be7c0, 200, 616660, 608, ffffba3a, b6c4aeec)
+ 50
  b6b7fee4 BN_generate_prime_ex (1be7c0, 200, 0, 0, 0, fe37d854) + 384
  b6b9a024 RSA_generate_key_ex (29cde8, 200, 1, fe37d854, 0, a639b0) + 144
  b6b9e254 RSA_generate_key (400, 10001, 0, 0, 101888, 29cde8) + b4
  fe05c044 ssl_tmp_key_init_rsa (400, 1, ffffffff, fffffff8, 0,
fe079de0) + 20
  fe05cebc Java_org_apache_tomcat_jni_SSL_initialize (a4, 0, 0,
fe07a344, 0, 31928) + 340
  fc00d700 * org/apache/tomcat/jni/SSL.initialize(Ljava/lang/String;)I+24676
  fc00d6ac * org/apache/tomcat/jni/SSL.initialize(Ljava/lang/String;)I+0
  fc005940 *
org/apache/catalina/core/AprLifecycleListener.initializeSSL()V+106 (line
487)

I will rerun test using the APR build I used for testing 7.0.23. Since
then I rebuild APR to use the newer OpenSSL version. I also updated Java
from 1.6.0_29 to _30.

Regards,

Rainer

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 7.0.24

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 16/01/2012 13:11, sebb wrote:
> On 16 January 2012 13:02, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
>> On 16/01/2012 12:23, Olivier Lamy wrote:
>>> I think it's here (thanks)
>>> But you need to close it (tru the ui) in order we can consume
>>> artifacts from this staged repository.
>>
>> OK. Closed.
>
> Normally Nexus sends messages to a mailing list when staging repos are
> closed, dropped or released.
>
> But I've not noticed any relating to Tomcat - where are they being sent?

It came to me.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
I think it's here (thanks)

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
Hello,

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 16/01/2012 00:29, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
> 2012/1/16 Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>:
>> The proposed Apache Tomcat 7.0.24 release is now available for voting.
>>
>> It can be obtained from:
>> http://people.apache.org/~markt/dev/tomcat-7/v7.0.24/
>> The svn tag is:
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc7.0.x/tags/TOMCAT_7_0_24/
>>
>> The proposed 7.0.24 release is:
>> [ ] Broken - do not release
>> [ ] Stable - go ahead and release as 7.0.24 Stable
>>
>> I dropped both alpha and beta as if it is not stable, I'll re-roll the
>> release.
>>

> Thus far (quick testing) everything is OK.
>
> Mark, can you upload files to Nexus?

Don't know yet :). I was going to give that a try this morning. Watch
this space...

> It should be easier to prepare everything while vote goes.

Once it works, it should be quicker to release the artefacts to Maven
central.

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.

[VOTE] [RESULT] Release Apache Tomcat 7.0.24

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
The result of the vote was broken. The issues have already been fixed
and I'll be re-tagging shortly.

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
On 16.01.2012 16:23, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 16/01/2012 13:19, Rainer Jung wrote:
>> On 16.01.2012 00:29, Mark Thomas wrote:
>>> The proposed Apache Tomcat 7.0.24 release is now available for voting.
>>>
>>> It can be obtained from:
>>> http://people.apache.org/~markt/dev/tomcat-7/v7.0.24/
>>> The svn tag is:
>>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc7.0.x/tags/TOMCAT_7_0_24/
>>>
>>> The proposed 7.0.24 release is:
>>> [ ] Broken - do not release
>>> [X] Stable - go ahead and release as 7.0.24 Stable
>>
>> +1 but note that's not an easy decision, because one of the unit tests
>> fail for the src distribution due to incomplete packaging (two mising
>> "target" directories). IMHO that's not nice but not a show-stopper.
>
> I know what you mean. I'm leaning towards re-tagging since the JMX proxy
> stuff arguably changes the interface (which is not ideal). A release is
> doable, but I'd rather fix these niggles.

OK, will happily recheck after retagging.

Thanks (as always) for careful RMing.

Rainer

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 7.0.24

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 16/01/2012 13:19, Rainer Jung wrote:
> On 16.01.2012 00:29, Mark Thomas wrote:
>> The proposed Apache Tomcat 7.0.24 release is now available for voting.
>>
>> It can be obtained from:
>> http://people.apache.org/~markt/dev/tomcat-7/v7.0.24/
>> The svn tag is:
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc7.0.x/tags/TOMCAT_7_0_24/
>>
>> The proposed 7.0.24 release is:
>> [ ] Broken - do not release
>> [X] Stable - go ahead and release as 7.0.24 Stable
>
> +1 but note that's not an easy decision, because one of the unit tests
> fail for the src distribution due to incomplete packaging (two mising
> "target" directories). IMHO that's not nice but not a show-stopper.

I know what you mean. I'm leaning towards re-tagging since the JMX proxy
stuff arguably changes the interface (which is not ideal). A release is
doable, but I'd rather fix these niggles.

> The crash in APR was not reproducible. Some other unit test failures
> only occur every now and then and look like timing issues.

OK. Thanks for checking.

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.