Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Brian P. Giroux" <bp...@senecal.ca> on 2006/09/04 19:51:16 UTC

[users@httpd] Mixing Internet and Intranet sites.

I am using Apache/2.0.55 (Ubuntu) PHP/5.1.2 mod_perl/2.0.2 Perl/v5.8.7
Server at victor Port 80.

I currently have three Local Intranet sites in /var/www/

 - A "testbed" that I use to experiment with Apache and HTML
 - phpMyAdmin which is password protected
 - and a local intranet which is not password protected, but is only
accessible from within our office.

Now, I need to add an Internet site (and in a few months a second and
third one) that will be accessible to the general public.

Is it possible to have both types on a single machine, or should I add a
password to the Local Intranet to keep the info safe?

Which part of the Docs talks about this kind of thing?
--
Brian P. Giroux
Sénécal & Associé.e.s / Associates

Re: [users@httpd] Mixing Internet and Intranet sites.

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 9/4/06, Brian P. Giroux <bp...@senecal.ca> wrote:
> I am using Apache/2.0.55 (Ubuntu) PHP/5.1.2 mod_perl/2.0.2 Perl/v5.8.7
> Server at victor Port 80.
>
> I currently have three Local Intranet sites in /var/www/
>
>  - A "testbed" that I use to experiment with Apache and HTML
>  - phpMyAdmin which is password protected
>  - and a local intranet which is not password protected, but is only
> accessible from within our office.
>
> Now, I need to add an Internet site (and in a few months a second and
> third one) that will be accessible to the general public.
>
> Is it possible to have both types on a single machine, or should I add a
> password to the Local Intranet to keep the info safe?
>
> Which part of the Docs talks about this kind of thing?

Do you have separate IP addresses for the Internet and intranet
interface on this box?  If so, you simply Listen on both addresses,
and use IP-based virtual-hosting to assure that requests for the
Internet interface get the Internet site and requests for the intranet
interface get the intranet site.  See the docs on IP-based virtual
hosting:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/vhosts/ip-based.html

If everything is on the same interface, then you can simple use
Order/Allow/Deny directives in the intranet <VirtualHost> to restrict
access.  See mod_access.

Joshua.