Posted to solr-dev@lucene.apache.org by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org> on 2009/08/19 20:45:39 UTC

Fwd: [Solr Wiki] Trivial Update of "HowToRelease" by YonikSeeley

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org>
> Date: August 18, 2009 1:55:59 PM EDT
> To: solr-commits@lucene.apache.org
> Subject: [Solr Wiki] Trivial Update of "HowToRelease" by YonikSeeley
>
> Dear Wiki user,
>
> You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Solr Wiki"
> for change notification.
>
> The following page has been changed by YonikSeeley:
> http://wiki.apache.org/solr/HowToRelease
>
> The comment on the change is:
> emphasise that things don't have to be done this way

> + This page is to help a Solr committer create a new release (you
> need committer rights for some of the steps to create an official
> release).  It does not reflect official release policy - many of the
> items may be optional, or may be modified as necessary.
> - ''This page is prepared for Solr committers. You need committer
> rights
> - to create a new  Solr release.''

I really don't think this is a good idea.  What gets released and how
it gets released should not be up to the RM.  We as a community have
agreed to support the artifacts we produce.  One individual should not
then get to undermine that b/c they don't have a particular use for
some particular artifact or release step.

Re: Fwd: [Solr Wiki] Trivial Update of "HowToRelease" by YonikSeeley

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
:
: I really don't think this is a good idea.  What gets released and how it gets
: released should not be up to the RM.  We as a community have agreed to support
: the artifacts we produce.  One individual should not then get to undermine
: that b/c they don't have a particular use for some particular artifact or
: release step.

This feels like a disagreement of semantics...

the community helps shape the release guidelines via the wiki, but
strictly speaking yonik is correct: it's not formal policy (the PMC didn't
vote on it).  The RM can follow those guidelines as tightly/loosely as
they choose to make an RC but they have to put it to a vote of the PMC
before it is truely a release -- If the PMC feels community concencus was
not followed closely enough by the RM, the release won't get the votes it
needs.

-Hoss