Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Xeno Amess <xe...@gmail.com> on 2020/06/14 10:40:12 UTC

[io] can we delete release 20030203.000550 in maven central?

every time my update tool chain thinks 20030203.000550 is a greater version
than 2.7 (actually it is, if see it in number).
So have we some way to delete it from maven central? (or rename it?)
The same problem happened in BeanUtils, version 20030211.134440

Re: [io] can we delete release 20030203.000550 in maven central?

Posted by Xeno Amess <xe...@gmail.com>.
"update toolchain" here means idea's package plugin, which seems have no
way to set up rules like rules in versions-maven-plugin.
[image: image.png]
Of course we can try to only use versions-maven-plugin.

But a setting like that just hides problem, it does not solve the problem.
The real problem is that "An older version have a larger version number
than a newer version"[1].
And nearly all rules about versioning forbids that [1].

Rob Spoor <ap...@icemanx.nl> 于2020年6月14日周日 下午7:03写道:

Posted by Rob Spoor <ap...@icemanx.nl>.

Posted by John Patrick <nh...@gmail.com>.
I keep thinking that too, and ended up just using a custom versions
rule to ignore it.

Other idea maybe change to GAV to;
1) org.apache.commons:commons-io
2) org.apache.commons:commons-io2

So starting to match the commons-lang3 approach.

I find commons-lang3 is a really good pattern and is much easier, as
it supports older and newer versions on the classpath at the same time
without conflict. Allowed phased upgrades.

And an upgrade to lang3 from lang is just a find/replace
"org.apache.commons.lang." to "org.apache.commons.lang3." and ticket
off the build process to check it worked.

Hopefully they will keep the same style for lang4 and it will just be
another find/replace upgrade when i choose.

Posted by Bernd Eckenfels <ec...@zusammenkunft.net>.
Hello,

I don't think the "largest version detect" is done on the Repo. Maven central offers all available versions in the metadata, and Maven locally resolves the highest version (when latest is used)

Also since Maven central is supposed to be immutable a new coordinate sooner or later is the only way to avoid everybody having to manually block the offender.

(And of course always specifying a specific version in POMs)

Bernd
--
http://bernd.eckenfels.net
Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.