Posted to c-user@axis.apache.org by "Jonathan Beakley (beakley)" <be...@cisco.com> on 2007/02/02 20:25:47 UTC

Memory Leak in axiscpp 1.6b/xerces 2.6?

While working with axiscpp 1.6b (a nightly build from Dec, 2006) and
xerces 2.6, I noticed a memory leak of roughly 300 bytes each time my
server code calls the Axis SoapDeSerializer::getElement function.  In
other words, each time one of the API functions I have written tries to
get its input parameters from the Axis/Xerces infrastructure, I am
losing about 300 bytes per input parameter.

I am deleting the parameters with AxisDelete after I am done with them,
so that's not the problem.  Regardless of whether the input parameter is
a string/int/etc, the leak is basically the same.

I was wondering whether anyone else has noticed this, and if so, what is
recommended to fix it.  Would moving to Xerces 2.7 help?

Thanks in advance,

-JB

RE: Memory Leak in axiscpp 1.6b/xerces 2.6?

Posted by "Jonathan Beakley (beakley)" <be...@cisco.com>.
Nadir,

After sending my e-mail, I decided to go ahead download the Xerces 2.7
and rebuild Axis and then rerun my tests.  Amazingly, the memory leak
disappeared with Xerces 2.7...

The 2.7 Xerces documentation
(http://xml.apache.org/xerces-c/releases.html) mentions four separate
memory leak fixes in 2.7 - perhaps one of these was the one that did the
trick for us.

If anyone out there knows of any caveats regarding the use of Axis 1.6b
(SVN build - code taken from mid-December, 2006) and Xerces 2.7, I'd
love to hear them.

Thanks all, and have a good weekend,

-JB

Posted by Nadir Amra <am...@us.ibm.com>.