Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Akira Ajisaka <aa...@apache.org> on 2021/08/12 07:48:07 UTC

Article: Cost-Efficient Open Source Big Data Platform at Uber

Hi folks,

I read Uber's article
https://eng.uber.com/cost-efficient-big-data-platform/. This article
is very interesting for me, and now I have some questions.

> For example, we identified that the Capacity Scheduler has some complex logic that slows down task assignment. However, code changes to get rid of those won’t be able to merge into Apache Hadoop trunk, since those sophisticated features may be needed by other companies.

- What are those sophisticated features in the Capacity Scheduler?
- In the future, can we turn off the features by some flags in Apache Hadoop?
- Is there any other examples like this?

Thanks and regards,
Akira

Re: Article: Cost-Efficient Open Source Big Data Platform at Uber

Posted by Akira Ajisaka <aa...@apache.org>.
Thank you Peter for your comment,

> Since they didn't share profiling results or heat maps, we can only guess what part of Capacity Scheduler is deemed slow or a possible bottleneck.

Agreed. I want to know the profiling results or heat maps from the
authors just for curiosity.

-Akira

Posted by Peter Bacsko <pb...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.
Hi Akira,