Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Lauri Liinat <La...@MicroLink.ee> on 2003/10/01 16:29:36 UTC

_very_ awkward exception

hi all,

when doing parallel requests to single Tapestry page, Javassist-related
code
caused a ClassFormatError (sorry if this should go to bugzilla instead,
but i
was hoping the issue would get a quicker response here):

org.apache.tapestry.ApplicationRuntimeException:
    Unable to define class org.apache.tapestry.html.Shell$Enhance_31:

getRootCause(): java.lang.ClassFormatError:
    org/apache/tapestry/html/Shell$Enhance_31 (Repetitive method
name/signature)

complete stacktrace is attached. a simple "don't do parallel requests on
a single page
in a single session context" can't possibly be an adequate response,
since web ui users
can cause this and other such errors unwillingly whenever a request
takes longer than,
say, 200ms or the network simply lags. my humble opinion is that such
requests should
be at least serialized or that there should be an API so that app
developers could implement
request serialization themselves when necessary. in no case should the
framework itself
crash before it delegates processing to the application. additionally,
there are other kinds
of errors that i've seen caused by the same reason, totally unexcpected
StaleLinks for example.

what does the concensus think about this issue?

sincerely,
otherwise big fan and active user of Tapestry,
lauri

RE: _very_ awkward exception

Posted by "Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hl...@comcast.net>.
There's obviously a threading problem here, thanks for drawing attention to it.  If you could add a
bug, that would be even better.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Tapestry: Java Web Components