Posted to dev@empire-db.apache.org by Rainer Döbele <do...@esteam.de> on 2009/02/15 22:00:47 UTC

again Maven

Hi Francis,

first of all I am astonished that you always reply within minutes.
I hope that sitting in front of your computer answering my (stupid) questions is not your only activity in life.
If so, let me tell you that there is more to life than computers and that you should sometimes really go out and have a beer or two :-)

Back to business.
1. The MANIFEST.MF does not seem to get recreated, so forget about it for now.
2. IMO the config.xml should always be in the file system. It makes no sense to hide it inside a jar. I think even logically it belongs exactly where the readme.txt and the tutorial.pdf belong. And there is no doubt that we must be able to debug the app without fiddling around with program arguments. And besides that I always plead for "comfort over convention".
3. Thanks for the mvnrepository link. I tried so hard but could not find it on the Maven site (http://maven.apache.org). Strange isn't it?

One more question for you though.
I want to debug the HSQLDB JDBC driver code.
So in Eclipse I opened the "Maven dependencies" node, right-clicked on hsqldb-1.8.0.7 and picked Maven->Download sources.
Unfortunately nothing happened (not even an error message).
How can I obtain the sources for HSQLDB-1.8.0.7?

Regards,
Rainer

Re: [VOTE] Merge SVN Maven branch with trunk

Posted by Francis De Brabandere <fr...@gmail.com>.
+1 (am I allowed to vote?)

--
http://www.somatik.be

re: again Maven

Posted by Rainer Döbele <do...@esteam.de>.
Hi Francis

Don't worry. I don't think there are many (if any) changes in the trunk that aren't already in the maven branch.
I am waiting with some of my changes until the branches have been merged.
New features will be added later on.

We need to check what's different of course, but I don't see many problems.
The problems will come when we decide to make an official release, since this has to be accepted by the mentors and the incubator PMC. They will particularly take a close look on all the legal issues such as Apache disclaimers in all files etc.

Re: again Maven

Posted by Francis De Brabandere <fr...@gmail.com>.

--
http://www.somatik.be

Re: [VOTE] Merge SVN Maven branch with trunk

Posted by Henning Schmiedehausen <he...@apache.org>.
Just to make things clear: This is a vote about a development issue, so
it should be run on the dev list, no need to cc private.

I have to admit that I don't understand the vote subject. Should that be
"... which we *NOW* intend to merge..." ?

	Ciao
		Henning

[VOTE] [RESULT] Merge SVN Maven branch with trunk

Posted by Rainer Döbele <do...@esteam.de>.
Hello everyone,

The [VOTE] is now closed. The [VOTE] to merge SVN Maven branch with trunk is successful.

There are two +1 votes, no 0 or -1.
Since lazy consensus applies, the transaction has been approved.

Posted by Francis De Brabandere <fr...@gmail.com>.
shall we conclude this vote?

--
http://www.somatik.be

RE: [VOTE] Merge SVN Maven branch with trunk

Posted by Thomas Fischer <fi...@seitenbau.net>.

Fwd: [VOTE] Merge SVN Maven branch with trunk

Posted by Rainer Döbele <do...@esteam.de>.
Hello everybody,

first I have to apologize for this very bad typo that you hopefully all recognized:
Instead of "... which we not intend to merge"
it should be "... which we now intend to merge".
Shame on me - this is a really nasty one.

Although it is (only) a dev issue I posted it on the private list too - just to make sure everyone is informed. I thought this would be a good idea. Sorry for that Henning.

Furthermore my intention was that lazy consensus applies i.e. if there are no objections within 72 hours we will perform the change. Do I have to point that our more clearly?

And yes Francis, you are allowed to vote.

Regards
Rainer

Voting on important changes [was: Re: again Maven]

Posted by Thomas Fischer <fi...@seitenbau.net>.
> We should go ahead merging the branches now, then I can to my
> modifications on the trunk again.
>
> Although I am not sure whether we have to, I will do it the Apache way
and call for a vote.

>From my personal understanding, voting on this is no must but I'd consider
it bad style if one incorporates important changes without announcing them
beforehand.
Personally, I prefer lazy consensus, e.g. like "I intend to merge the XXX
branch with the trunk, please object within 72 hours if you see any
problems", but this might be personal style and depends also on the size
and style of the community.

 Regards,

          Thomas

re: again Maven