Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Nilesh Govindarajan <li...@itech7.com> on 2010/04/02 18:27:28 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] Apache/2.2.13 : Starting httpd: (98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:80 error

On 04/02/10 21:52, Ravi Roy wrote:
> Hi
> I installed Apache/2.2.13 (Unix) on CentOS 5.4. My prolbem is that when
> I try to start and stop it using "sudo /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd start /
> stop / restart"
> It gives me the following, I googgled a lot but could not really find a
> solution.
> 1.Command : $ sudo /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd start
> Error Message :
> Starting httpd: (98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to
> address 0.0.0.0:80 <http://0.0.0.0:80>
> Unable to open logs
>                                                             [FAILED]
> 2. Command : $ sudo /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd stop
> Error message :
> Stopping httpd:                                            [FAILED]
> 3.Command : $sudo /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd restart
> Error message :
> Stopping httpd:                                            [FAILED]
> Starting httpd: (98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to
> address 0.0.0.0:80 <http://0.0.0.0:80>
> Unable to open logs
>                                                             [FAILED]
> Can sombody help me on this please?
> Thanks!
> -RR

Some other process is already running at port number 80. Use netstat
-ltnp | grep ':80' to get the process name and pid.

--
Nilesh Govindarajan
Site & Server Administrator

[users@httpd] htcacheclean

Posted by Geoff Millikan <gm...@t1shopper.com>.
How big do we set our mod_disk_cache cache?  100 Megs?  1 Gig?

"Determining how frequently to run htcacheclean and what target size to use
for the cache is somewhat complex and trial and error may be needed to
select optimal values."
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.1/caching.html#disk

[users@httpd] mod_disk_cache -> How big do we set the cache?

Posted by Geoff Millikan <gm...@t1shopper.com>.
Question: What are the rules of thumb for setting the size of the cache?

Fact: The memory usage on the server is below for reference.

Fact: htcacheclean will continuously prune the cache to a certain size.

Fact: When the cache got to 587,692 items taking up 2.2GB of disk space I
started getting this error, "(103)Software caused connection abort: cache:
error returned while trying to return disk cached data"

Fact: I already read the manual, "Determining how frequently to run
htcacheclean and what target size to use for the cache is somewhat complex
and trial and error may be needed to select optimal values."
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.1/caching.html#disk

shell> free -m
Memo:         15425      14644        781          0       1046       8867
-/+ buffers/cache:       4731      10694
Swap:         1983          0       1983

shell> cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal:     15796044 kB
MemFree:        794144 kB
Buffers:       1071256 kB
Cached:        9080128 kB
SwapCached:          0 kB
Active:       10197176 kB
Inactive:      4076964 kB
HighTotal:           0 kB
HighFree:            0 kB
LowTotal:     15796044 kB
LowFree:        794144 kB
SwapTotal:     2031608 kB
SwapFree:      2031544 kB
Dirty:             908 kB
Writeback:           0 kB
AnonPages:     4122388 kB
Mapped:          32604 kB
Slab:           651948 kB
PageTables:      46564 kB
NFS_Unstable:        0 kB
Bounce:              0 kB
CommitLimit:   9929628 kB
Committed_AS:  8145084 kB
VmallocTotal: 34359738367 kB
VmallocUsed:      2164 kB
VmallocChunk: 34359735859 kB
HugePages_Total:     0
HugePages_Free:      0
HugePages_Rsvd:      0
Hugepagesize:     2048 kB

Posted by Reese <ho...@inkworkswell.com>.
On 02-Apr-10 14:24, Eric Covener wrote:
>> Is he really running port 80 on 0.0.0.0 - or is that his edit to
>> obscure his real IP number? If he can't identify another process
>> occupying port 80, he may want to take a closer look at his Apache
>> configuration file.
>
> 0.0.0.0 means all IPV4 addresses/interfaces on the system.

Huh, I thought it would/should have reported the IP number assigned to
the machine. But then, Apache probably doesn't care what the IP number
is, does it? I'll have to read up on that.

Reese

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.

covener@gmail.com

Posted by Reese <ho...@inkworkswell.com>.

Posted by Charan <ch...@gmail.com>.
I remember this has happened to me once. if there is SELinux, disable it and
try again
Thanks,
Charan

Posted by Nilesh Govindarajan <li...@itech7.com>.
On 04/03/10 10:12, Ravi Roy wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 3, 2010 at 9:55 AM, Nilesh Govindarajan <lists@itech7.com
> <ma...@itech7.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 04/03/10 09:38, Ravi Roy wrote:
>     <snip>
>

>             Try using the /sbin/service command instead of this.
>
>             Also, your httpd is self compiled or installed using yum ?
>
>             And did you make any alterations (or created)
>         /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd ?
>

>         Thanks Nilesh,
>         I tried ;
>         command : sudo /sbin/service httpd restart
>         Error message :
>         Stopping httpd:                                            [FAILED]
>         Starting httpd: (98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not
>         bind to
>         address 0.0.0.0:80 <http://0.0.0.0/> <http://0.0.0.0:80
>         <http://0.0.0.0/>>
>
>         no listening sockets available, shutting down
>         Unable to open logs
>                                                                     [FAILED]
>         I compiled httpd server is myself on CentOS 5.4, I did not make any
>         alterations to /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd.
>         Thanks
>         -RR
>

>     Check if rpm -q httpd gives some response ?
>
>     If it does, you've found the bug. There are two versions of httpd
>     installed in your OS.
>
>     One is compiled by you and one installed by yum.
>
>     Now what is happening that, your compiled version I suppose located
>     at /usr/local/apache2, is started somehow, whereas the yum version
>     isn't running.
>
>     Now when you try to issue commands to apache using /etc/rc.d scripts
>     or the service command, it will try to start apache from /usr/sbin
>     instead of /usr/local/apache2/bin and that's why you are getting
>     this error. Your apache (compiled) daemon is already listening on
>     port 80, and the init script tries to bind it.
>
>     The only solution to this is you remove yum's edition using:
>
>     yum remove httpd
>
>     This _will_ remove /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd as well.
>
>     You will have to use /usr/local/apache2/bin/apachectl to control the
>     apache daemon.
>

>   Thanks Nilsesh again for quick response.
>    Command : sudo rpm -q httpd
>     Response :
>     httpd-2.2.3-31.el5.centos.4
> yes you are right; my compiled version is installed under
> /usr/local/Apache2
> I will remove the compiled version and let you know the results.
> Thanks again!
> -RR

Do not remove the compiled version !

The version provided by CentOS is very old and *may* contain a lot of
security holes and other bugs.

Keep softwares up to date, so that you don't fall prey to hackers.

--
Nilesh Govindarajan
Site & Server Administrator

Posted by Ravi Roy <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nilesh Govindarajan <li...@itech7.com>.

Posted by alin vasile <al...@yahoo.com>.
so you killed the existing process that listens to 80 and started again. now you can see that a process listens to 80?

also please check if the log directories configured in httpd.conf exist and the apache user has permission to write in them.

________________________________
Posted by Ravi Roy <ra...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Apr 3, 2010 at 8:35 PM, alin vasile <al...@yahoo.com>wrote:

>  yes, should be enough.
>
> have you tried killing the running process that listens to that port and
> start apache again?

Yes, tried, but same error.

Thanks!
-RR