Posted to apreq-dev@httpd.apache.org by Issac Goldstand <ma...@beamartyr.net> on 2009/01/20 10:48:30 UTC

[RELEASE CANDIDATE] libapreq2 2.11

The apreq developers are planning a maintenance release of
libapreq2.  This version addresses several bugfixes and includes new features.

Changes since the last release version include:

- Interactive CGI module [issac]
  Allow cgi module to interactively prompt for parameters and cookies when
  running a script from the command line and not from a CGI interface

- Perl Glue [joes]
  Fix the linking of the perl modules to libapreq2 and libapr
  on Solaris.

- Perl Glue [joes]
  Fix install-time linking issue of the .so modules.
  Previously they would remain linked against the src
  library path, not the install path.

- C API [joes]
  Add optional interface for apreq_handle_apache2().

- C API [joes]
  Clean up buggy apreq_hook_find_param().

- Perl Glue Build [Philip M. Gollucci]
  config.status format changed format yet again in autoconf 2.62+.

- License [Mladen Turk]
  Add libapreq.rc and generate libapreq.res

- Build [Mladen Turk]
  Add APREQ_DECLARE_EXPORT/APREQ_DECLARE_STATIC
  in the same way as APR declares so that dllexport/dllimport
  get correctly handled.

- Build [Randy Kobes]
  Add appropriate manifest command to embed manifest files on Win32
  when using VC8

- C API [Andy Grundman, joes]
  Add missing bytes_read initializer to apreq_handle_custom().

- C API [suggested by Vinay Y S, tested by Steve Hay and Peter Walsham]
  For Win32, remove the
     flag |= APR_FILE_NOCLEANUP | APR_SHARELOCK;
  in apreq_file_cleanup, to avoid problems with file uploads.

- C API [joes]
  Fix leak associated to calling apreq_brigade_fwrite() on an upload
  brigade.

- Build [Philip M. Gollucci]
  SunOS (Solaris)
  Users must use gmake not make for building.

- Build [Philip M. Gollucci]
  SunOS (Solaris)
  Code around bug in libtool (at least in 1.5.18, 1.5.20, 1.5.22)
  causing mod_apreq2 to be built instead of mod_apreq2.so

- C API [Philip M. Gollucci]
  Fix comparison signed vs unsigned comparison
  in apreq_fwritev() on SunOS/gcc where iovec.iov_len is a long.

- Build [Philip M. Gollucci]
  SunOS (Solaris)
  fix duplicate link error to libexpat.so -- by using the one from httpd
  exclusively now.

- Build [Philip M. Gollucci]
  code around |#_!!_#| autoconf 2.60 bug.

Please give the tarball at

http://people.apache.org/~issac/libapreq2-2.11.tar.gz

a try and report comments/problems/etc. to the apreq-dev list
at apreq-dev@httpd.apache.org.

Thanks,
  Issac

Re: [RELEASE CANDIDATE] libapreq2 2.11

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.
+1 for me (tested on debian).

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.
+1 for me (tested on debian).

Posted by Issac Goldstand <ma...@beamartyr.net>.

Re: [RELEASE CANDIDATE] libapreq2 2.11

Posted by Bojan Smojver <bo...@rexursive.com>.
On Fri, 2009-01-23 at 07:32 +1100, Bojan Smojver wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-01-22 at 16:50 +0200, Issac Goldstand wrote:
> > I don't get any fails by me...  Can you try make test-ing apreq2-2.08
> > and see if you get the same fails so we know if it's a regression?
>
> Will do.

Same in 2.08:
----------------------
t/big_request....ok
t/cgi............ok
t/cookie.........ok
t/request........34/36 # Failed test 34 in t/request.t at line 93 fail
# Failed test 36 in t/request.t at line 118 fail #2
t/request........ Failed 2/36 subtests
----------------------

Not a regression.

--
Bojan

Re: [RELEASE CANDIDATE] libapreq2 2.11

Posted by Bojan Smojver <bo...@rexursive.com>.

Posted by Issac Goldstand <ma...@beamartyr.net>.

Posted by Bojan Smojver <bo...@rexursive.com>.

Posted by Steve Hay <St...@planit.com>.
Issac Goldstand wrote:
> Please give the tarball at
>
> http://people.apache.org/~issac/libapreq2-2.11.tar.gz
>
> a try and report comments/problems/etc. to the apreq-dev list
> at apreq-dev@httpd.apache.org.

I have a build error using VC++ 2005 on Win32 with perl-5.10.0,
apache-2.2.10, mod_perl-2.0.4:

[...]
cl.exe /Fo"C:\Temp\LIBAPR~1.11\win32\libs\error.obj" /nologo /MD /W3 /O2
/D "WIN32" /D "NDEBUG" /D "_WINDOWS" /D "_MBCS" /D "_USRDLL" /D
"APREQ_DECLARE_EXPORT" /I"C:\apache2.2\include"
/I"C:\Temp\LIBAPR~1.11\include" /YX /FD /c
C:\Temp\LIBAPR~1.11\library\error.c
cl : Command line warning D9002 : ignoring unknown option '/YX'
error.c
NMAKE : fatal error U1073: don't know how to make '.\libapreq.rc'
Stop.
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
8\VC\bin\nmake.exe"' : return code '0x2'
Stop.

Re: [RELEASE CANDIDATE] libapreq2 2.11

Posted by Adam Prime <ad...@utoronto.ca>.
builds and tests ok on gentoo linux w/ apache 2.2.8, mod_perl 2.0.4

Re: [RELEASE CANDIDATE] libapreq2 2.11

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.
+1 for me (tested on debian).

Posted by Adam Prime <ad...@utoronto.ca>.

Posted by Bojan Smojver <bo...@rexursive.com>.

Posted by Bojan Smojver <bo...@rexursive.com>.
On Wed, 2009-01-28 at 12:47 +0200, Issac Goldstand wrote:
> Vote results show only 2 +1s (issac,joes) and no -1s.
>
> We're still a +1 short of release.

I can add that required vote, but because I don't have Windows, I cannot
contribute on that front and this may be important to address before we
release.

--
Bojan

Re: [RELEASE CANDIDATE] libapreq2 2.11

Posted by Bojan Smojver <bo...@rexursive.com>.
On Thu, 2009-01-29 at 13:53 -0800, Joe Schaefer wrote:

> That is bunk.  We shoul NEVER try to support svn builds for releases,
> because that makes us dependent on whatever autocruft is on CentOS.
> It also doesn't help diddly squat when testing a potential candidate
> for release, since those are bundled by the RM's autotools.
>
> Please use the ACTUAL tarball when filing bug reports against a release.
> Thanks!

Initially, I thought Philip was telling me that something is busted with
RPM spec files (i.e. build/install on CentOS), so I wanted to fix that.

What I was referring to in my second post when I said "building from
source" was also the tarball, but your regular "get source, configure,
make, make install" build, not an RPM build.

Sorry, I wasn't making myself clear.

--
Bojan

Re: [RELEASE CANDIDATE] libapreq2 2.11

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Bojan Smojver <bo...@rexursive.com>.

Posted by "Philip M. Gollucci" <pg...@p6m7g8.com>.
Bojan Smojver wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-01-29 at 04:03 -0500, Philip M. Gollucci wrote:
>
>> Does the perl glue not being built / installed correctly on CentOS count ?
>> [I had spoken too soon before when I was all excited]
>
> If there is a problem with libapreq2 RPMS on CentOS, let me know what
> the fix is. I'll be more than happy to correct that.
I built from SVN.... or do you mean you'll add a patch to the rpm after release ?

Consultant          - P6M7G8 Inc.                http://p6m7g8.net
Senior Sys Admin    - RideCharge, Inc.           http://ridecharge.com
Contractor          - PositiveEnergyUSA          http://positiveenergyusa.com
ASF Member          - Apache Software Foundation http://apache.org
FreeBSD Committer   - FreeBSD Foundation         http://freebsd.org

Work like you don't need the money,
love like you'll never get hurt,
and dance like nobody's watching.

Re: [RELEASE CANDIDATE] libapreq2 2.11

Posted by Bojan Smojver <bo...@rexursive.com>.

Posted by "Philip M. Gollucci" <pg...@p6m7g8.com>.
Torsten Foertsch wrote:
> Apache/2.2.11 (Unix) proxy_html/3.0.1 mod_ssl/2.2.11 OpenSSL/0.9.8h
> DAV/2 SVN/1.5.5 mod_apreq2-20090110/2.7.0 mod_perl/2.0.5threading2
> Perl/v5.10.0
>
> The only thing that confuses me is the version string "2.7.0" while the
> TAR file is named 2.11.
>
> Torsten

- libapreq2 is about to have RELEASE 2.11
- mod_apreq2 has module magic number 20090110

- libapreq2.so has shared library version 2.7.0
   (apr version rules for shared libs apply to this one)

Does the perl glue not being built / installed correctly on CentOS count ?
[I had spoken too soon before when I was all excited]

I haven't had a chance to test it FreeBSD yet.

Re:[OT] [RELEASE CANDIDATE] libapreq2 2.11

Posted by Issac Goldstand <ma...@beamartyr.net>.
Carl Brewer wrote:
> Torsten Foertsch wrote:
>> On Wed 28 Jan 2009, Issac Goldstand wrote:
>> The only thing that confuses me is the version string "2.7.0" while
>> the TAR file is named 2.11.
>
> If I can hijack this for a second ... where does the mod_apreq2 string
> get set? I'm trying to trace a segfault problem on a CentOS 5.2 box and
> while I think I have libapreq2.08 running, the version returned is :
>
> Server: Apache/2.2.11 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.11 OpenSSL/0.9.8b
> mod_apreq2-20051231/2.6.0 mod_perl/2.0.4 Perl/v5.8.8
>
> That doesn't look right to me on a box with libapreq 2.08 compiled on
> the 30th of Dec 2008!

I'm not sure of the 2.7.0 - I *think* it means it's the 7th release of
the 2.x version (which is not the same as the version number).  I wasn't
the one who set that up, though, so I won't comment.

The date is the date the code was released, not compiled.

Re: [RELEASE CANDIDATE] libapreq2 2.11

Posted by Carl Brewer <ca...@bl.echidna.id.au>.

Posted by Torsten Foertsch <to...@gmx.net>.
On Wed 28 Jan 2009, Issac Goldstand wrote:
> Vote results show only 2 +1s (issac,joes) and no -1s.
>
> We're still a +1 short of release.

If it matters, I have successfully run all tests on my mod_perl
installation (threading branch) with apache 2.2.11 both with worker and
prefork on Suse linux 11.1 (perl 5.10). But I am not a heavy user.

Apache/2.2.11 (Unix) proxy_html/3.0.1 mod_ssl/2.2.11 OpenSSL/0.9.8h
DAV/2 SVN/1.5.5 mod_apreq2-20090110/2.7.0 mod_perl/2.0.5threading2
Perl/v5.10.0

The only thing that confuses me is the version string "2.7.0" while the
TAR file is named 2.11.

Torsten

--
Need professional mod_perl support?
Just hire me: torsten.foertsch@gmx.net

Re: [RELEASE CANDIDATE] libapreq2 2.11

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.
Steve Hay wrote:
> Issac Goldstand wrote:
>> Vote results show only 2 +1s (issac,joes) and no -1s.
>>
>> We're still a +1 short of release.
>>

> Has anyone else tested on Win32 yet?
>
> I reported a build error which hasn't been addressed yet:
>
> http://marc.info/?l=apreq-dev&m=123244555902865&w=2

This is because libapreq.rc in the svn sources wasn't included in the
release candidate tarball.

--
best regards,
Randy

Re: [RELEASE CANDIDATE] libapreq2 2.11

Posted by Issac Goldstand <ma...@beamartyr.net>.
Adam Prime wrote:
> Issac Goldstand wrote:
>> Steve Hay wrote:

>>> Has anyone else tested on Win32 yet?
>>>
>>> I reported a build error which hasn't been addressed yet:
>>>
>>> http://marc.info/?l=apreq-dev&m=123244555902865&w=2
>>
>> I must've missed that.  I'll try playing on win32 a bit, I guess...  I
>> need to figure out where I'm gonna install a new set of compilers,
>> though, since my old win32 playground died on me a while back, so it
>> might take me some time.
>
> There's also the failing test that Bojan is seeing:
>
> http://marc.info/?l=apreq-dev&m=123251717310413&w=2
>
> Adam

That's not a regression, though, so it's not a showstopper

Re: [RELEASE CANDIDATE] libapreq2 2.11

Posted by Adam Prime <ad...@utoronto.ca>.

Posted by Bojan Smojver <bo...@rexursive.com>.
On Tue, 2009-02-17 at 08:47 +0200, Issac Goldstand wrote:
> I'm all
> for calling 2.11 a dud and restarting with 2.12

Version numbers are cheap - go for it.

--
Bojan

Re: [RELEASE CANDIDATE] libapreq2 2.11

Posted by Issac Goldstand <ma...@beamartyr.net>.
Philip M. Gollucci wrote:
> Steve Hay wrote:
>> Randy Kobes wrote:

> creating mod_apreq2.la
> (cd .libs && rm -f mod_apreq2.la && ln -s ../mod_apreq2.la mod_apreq2.la)
> make: don't know how to make all-local. Stop
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in libapreq2-2.11/module.
> *** Error code 1
>

> So thats build errors on centos and FreeBSD -- yes, I used the tgz for
> these
> and not SVN.  Anyway, I think joes traced most of this to issac having
> rolled the tgz with ancient/old auto tools.  Issac, want to try again
> with a current set ?  I'm in a position to give it a whirl too.
>
> Sorry I'm so slow.  umteen jobs and all.
>
> P.S.  I have no free weekends between now and March 20th.

Yeah, let's go for it.  Since that's gonna be a vastly different tarball
due to autotools and the windows resource that Randy mentioned, I'm all
for calling 2.11 a dud and restarting with 2.12  I'll try to get to it
later in the week, unless someone beats me to RM.

Posted by "Philip M. Gollucci" <pg...@p6m7g8.com>.

Posted by Steve Hay <St...@planit.com>.
Randy Kobes wrote:
> Issac Goldstand wrote:
>> Steve Hay wrote:

>>> Has anyone else tested on Win32 yet?
>>>
>>> I reported a build error which hasn't been addressed yet:
>>>
>>> http://marc.info/?l=apreq-dev&m=123244555902865&w=2
>>
>> I must've missed that.  I'll try playing on win32 a bit, I guess...
>> I need to figure out where I'm gonna install a new set of compilers,
>> though, since my old win32 playground died on me a while back, so it
>> might take me some time.
>>

> After including the missing libapreq.rc from the svn sources, I get a
> build error:
>
> C:\svn\apreq\module\apache2\filter.c(421) : error C2152:
>    'initializing': pointers to functions with different attributes
> NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'cl.exe' : return code '0x2'
> Stop.
>
> which comes from
>       APR_REGISTER_OPTIONAL_FN(apreq_handle_apache2);
> in module/apache2/filter.c. This is on Win32, VC 6, and Apache/2.2.8.

I get a similar error with VC8 and Apache 2.2.10:

C:\Temp\LIBAPR~1.11\module\apache2\filter.c(420) : error C2440:
'initializing' : cannot convert from 'apreq_handle_t *(__stdcall
*)(request_rec *)' to 'apr_OFN_apreq_handle_apache2_t (__cdecl *)'

Not sure what it doesn't like about it. We have

__declspec(dllexport) apreq_handle_t * __stdcall
apreq_handle_apache2(request_rec *r);

and

typedef apreq_handle_t * (apr_OFN_apreq_handle_apache2_t) (request_rec
*r);

so why does it object to

apr_OFN_apreq_handle_apache2_t *apu__opt = apreq_handle_apache2;

?

Anyway, that's "fixed" by the following change to apache's
apr_optional.h:

--- apr_optional.h.orig	2007-01-15 12:00:58.000000000 +0000
+++ apr_optional.h	2009-02-06 10:57:28.387618600 +0000
@@ -68,7 +68,7 @@
  * @param name The name of the function
  */
 #define APR_REGISTER_OPTIONAL_FN(name) do { \
-  APR_OPTIONAL_FN_TYPE(name) *apu__opt = name; \
+  APR_OPTIONAL_FN_TYPE(name) *apu__opt = (APR_OPTIONAL_FN_TYPE(name)
*)name; \
   apr_dynamic_fn_register(#name,(apr_opt_fn_t *)apu__opt); \
 } while (0)
End of Patch.

I don't know if that fix is at all correct, but with it, libapreq2 then
builds okay.

However, I then get a crash in module/t/request.t:

Unhandled exception at 0x00d536de in httpd.exe: 0xC0000005: Access
violation reading location 0xffffffff.

Call stack:

>	00d536de()
 	libhttpd.dll!ap_process_request_internal(request_rec *
r=0x00000000)  Line 185 + 0x6 bytes	C
 	libhttpd.dll!ap_process_request(request_rec * r=0x00d536d8)
Line 257	C
 	libhttpd.dll!ap_process_http_connection(conn_rec * c=0x00cd5550)
Line 190 + 0x6 bytes	C
 	libhttpd.dll!ap_run_process_connection(conn_rec * c=0x00cd5550)
Line 43 + 0x28 bytes	C
 	libhttpd.dll!ap_process_connection(conn_rec * c=0x00cd5550, void
* csd=0x00cce520)  Line 178 + 0x6 bytes	C
 	libhttpd.dll!worker_main(void * thread_num_val=0x00cd5548)  Line
778	C
 	msvcr80.dll!781329bb()
 	[Frames below may be incorrect and/or missing, no symbols loaded
for msvcr80.dll]
 	perl510.dll!Perl_malloc(unsigned int nbytes=13206088)  Line 1539

Re: [RELEASE CANDIDATE] libapreq2 2.11

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.

Posted by Issac Goldstand <ma...@beamartyr.net>.

Posted by Steve Hay <St...@planit.com>.

Posted by Issac Goldstand <ma...@beamartyr.net>.

Posted by Michael Ludwig <ml...@as-guides.com>.
Issac Goldstand schrieb:
> The apreq developers are planning a maintenance release of
> libapreq2.  This version addresses several bugfixes and includes new
> features.

> Please give the tarball at
>
> http://people.apache.org/~issac/libapreq2-2.11.tar.gz
>
> a try and report comments/problems/etc. to the apreq-dev list
> at apreq-dev@httpd.apache.org.

On Debian 4.0, using Apache/2.2.11 (worker MPM):

# perl Makefile.PL --with-apache2-apxs=/usr/local/apache22/bin/apxs
perl: 5.8.8 ok
mod_perl2: 2.000004 ok
Apache::Test: 1.31 ok
ExtUtils::MakeMaker: 6.30 ok