Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Uchit Patel <uc...@yahoo.com.INVALID> on 2017/02/07 13:47:59 UTC

SOLR version upgrade 5.1.0 to 6.4.0

Hi,
I want detailed step by step guidance for SOLR version upgrade from 5.1.0 to 6.4.0 for Windows and Linux both.

Thanks.
Regards,
Uchit PatelSr. GIS AnalystWaste Management Inc.

Re: SOLR version upgrade 5.1.0 to 6.4.0

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 2/7/2017 6:47 AM, Uchit Patel wrote:
> I want detailed step by step guidance for SOLR version upgrade from
> 5.1.0 to 6.4.0 for Windows and Linux both.

On Windows, and on any other OS where the installer wasn't used, there
are no explicit install instructions, so there are no explicit upgrade
instructions.  When you start the new version, you can tell it where the
solr home is, or you can just copy the solr home from the old version
before you start.  The solr home will default to server/solr if it is
not specified.  Because there is no installer for Windows, running on
another OS (where the installer can be used) would be a good idea if you
have the option.

On Linux, you just run the service installer from the new version with
the same parameters you used for the old version, adding the "-f"
parameter to force an upgrade.  The location of the solr.in.sh file will
move from the var dir in 5.1.0 (normally /var/solr) to /etc/default in
newer versions, so make sure that the new file contains what you want it
to contain.

There will be differences in configuration defaults which might produce
unexpected results in how Solr operates.  In particular, the managed
schema is now default, instead of the classic schema.  The classic
schema can still be used if you desire it, but must be explicitly
configured in solrconfig.xml.

Thanks,
Shawn