Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by Rahul <ra...@clear.net.nz> on 2003/05/20 12:27:27 UTC

Lenya web-app Startup error

Hi ,

I finally managed to get Lenya built and deployed on Tomcat y'day =;o)

Before I reproduce the stack trace I am running the following configuration on my PC now.
- Win XP home .
- Tomcat 4.1.24
- Lenya (18th May CVS update)
- Cocoon 2.1 M1
- JDK 1.4.2beta

(a) I am able to view the pages but I get the following error on Lenya web-app startup. Not sure where its picking up the incorrect path
to log4.j.log from ? Tomcat is installed in e:\tools\tomcat4.1.24

(b) Also, I encountered FileNotFoundException for *.pen files while trying to view documentation on local installation. I "fixed" this by copying *.pen files from
    <CATALINA_HOME>\webapps\lenya\WEB-INF\entities
    <CATALINA_HOME>\webapps\lenya\lenya\pubs\docs\content\live

any ideas ?

Cheers :)

Rahul

<QUOTE>
log4j:ERROR setFile(null,true) call failed.
java.io.FileNotFoundException: ..\..\build\tomcat\webapps\lenya\WEB-INF\logs\log
4j.log (The system cannot find the path specified)
        at java.io.FileOutputStream.openAppend(Native Method)
        at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(FileOutputStream.java:177)
        at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(FileOutputStream.java:102)
        at org.apache.log4j.FileAppender.setFile(FileAppender.java:272)
        at org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender.setFile(RollingFileAppender.java
:156)
        at org.apache.log4j.FileAppender.activateOptions(FileAppender.java:151)
        at org.apache.log4j.config.PropertySetter.activate(PropertySetter.java:2
48)
        at org.apache.log4j.config.PropertySetter.setProperties(PropertySetter.j
ava:124)
        at org.apache.log4j.config.PropertySetter.setProperties(PropertySetter.j
ava:88)
        at org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator.parseAppender(PropertyConfigura
tor.java:645)
        at org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator.parseCategory(PropertyConfigura
tor.java:603)
        at org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator.configureRootCategory(PropertyC
onfigurator.java:500)
        at org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator.doConfigure(PropertyConfigurato
r.java:406)
        at org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator.doConfigure(PropertyConfigurato
r.java:432)
        at org.apache.log4j.helpers.OptionConverter.selectAndConfigure(OptionCon
verter.java:456)
        at org.apache.log4j.LogManager.<clinit>(LogManager.java:145)
        at org.apache.log4j.Category.getInstance(Category.java:534)
        at org.apache.lenya.cms.scheduler.LoadQuartzServlet.<clinit>(LoadQuartzS
ervlet.java:75)

        at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstruct
orAccessorImpl.java:39)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingC
onstructorAccessorImpl.java:27)
        at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:274)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.loadServlet(StandardWrapper.
java:903)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.load(StandardWrapper.java:82
3)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.loadOnStartup(StandardContex
t.java:3420)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:3
608)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase
.java:821)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:80
7)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:579)

        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostDeployer.install(StandardHostDep
loyer.java:307)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.install(StandardHost.java:772)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectories(HostConfig.j
ava:559)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployApps(HostConfig.java:401
)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.start(HostConfig.java:718)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.lifecycleEvent(HostConfig.java
:358)
        at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(Lifecycl
eSupport.java:166)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1196)

        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.start(StandardHost.java:738)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1188)

        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.start(StandardEngine.java:347
)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.start(StandardService.java:4
97)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:219
0)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:512)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Catalina.java:400)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Catalina.java:180)
java:39)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAcces
sorImpl.java:25)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:203)
server.properties not found, using command line or default properties

</QUOTE>

Re: Lenya web-app Startup error

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Rahul wrote:

> Hi ,
>
> I finally managed to get Lenya built and deployed on Tomcat y'day =;o)

[...]
> (a) I am able to view the pages but I get the following error on Lenya
> web-app startup. Not sure where its picking up the incorrect path
> to log4.j.log from ? Tomcat is installed in e:\tools\tomcat4.1.24

[...]

> (b) Also, I encountered FileNotFoundException for *.pen files while
> trying to view documentation on local installation. I "fixed" this by
> copying *.pen files from
>     <CATALINA_HOME>\webapps\lenya\WEB-INF\entities
>     <CATALINA_HOME>\webapps\lenya\lenya\pubs\docs\content\live

As Michael already mentioned, this is usually caused by a relative
installation path in the build.properties file. The path is used to
specify the location of log4j.log and the location of the entity
resolver, so that your error messages are typical for this problem.

There should be a note in build.properties to use an absolute path,
but we probably should add a remark in the installation docs.

Andreas

Re: Lenya web-app Startup error

Posted by Rahul <ra...@clear.net.nz>.
Thanks Andreas,
Thats answers why I was getting FileNotFoundException on browsing docs.Just
one more clarification, do I need to change cocoon.xconf manually for <
....local-catalog> value on every deploy of application or ANT build does
that for me ?

Any clue on the issue (a) pertaining to path to file "log4j.log"  on web-app
startup. Where is that being picked up from.

Thanks again.

cheers :)
rahul

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Rahul wrote:

> Thanks Andreas,
> Thats answers why I was getting FileNotFoundException on browsing docs.Just
> one more clarification, do I need to change cocoon.xconf manually for <
> ....local-catalog> value on every deploy of application or ANT build does
> that for me ?

> Any clue on the issue (a) pertaining to path to file "log4j.log"  on web-app
> startup. Where is that being picked up from.

The paths to log4j.log and to the entity catalog are derived from
the install.dir property in build.properties. If you look at
src/java/log4j-properties.xsl and src/webapp/WEB-INF/cocoon-xconf.xsl
you see what happens.

BTW, if all files look OK - sometimes it helps to do an ant reset
and install again.

HTH,
Andreas

Re: Lenya web-app Startup error

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rahul <ra...@clear.net.nz>.
The build.properties file contents for your reference. I am using absolute
paths except for "pubs.root.dir" and the note in the build.properties says
to use absolute path for "install.dir"
===========
build.properties
src.cocoon.dir=/build/cocoon/build/webapp
pubs.root.dirs=src/webapp/lenya/pubs
cache.dir=/tools/tomcat-4.1.24/work/Standalone/localhost/lenya
install.dir=/tools/tomcat-4.1.24/webapps/lenya
Anything else I need to set in here ?

:-)
rahul

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.org>.