Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Christoph Läubrich <la...@googlemail.com.INVALID> on 2020/10/02 16:16:59 UTC

Re: [math] DerivativeStructure and erf/erfx

Thanks Gilles, I'm currently trying to dive into all of this a bit and
just wondering:

Will there still be new releases of commons-math3, or is it postponed in
favor of math4?

I'm asking this because it might be an option to add erf(x) support to
Derivative structure in math3 first (as it is not ported yet), but of
course this only makes sense if it will be released some day.

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com>.
Hello.

[Cc'ing to the "dev" ML, as this discussion belongs there.]

Le ven. 2 oct. 2020 à 18:17, Christoph Läubrich
<la...@googlemail.com.invalid> a écrit :

> Thanks Gilles, I'm currently trying to dive into all of this a bit

Your help is very welcome.

> and
> just wondering:
>
> Will there still be new releases of commons-math3,

The general issue of what is released is in the hand of
the "community" that is willing to support the development.

My short answer is "no", a.o. things because there hasn't
been any update to the 3.x branch while a lot of work has
gone into the 4.0 ("master") branch over the last 4 years.[1]
A community could be willing to invest in back-porting
work (but it hasn't shown up yet...).
Releasing a version 3.7 would imply that we are ready to fix
bugs filed against it.  [Personally I am not.]

> or is it postponed in
> favor of math4?
>
> I'm asking this because it might be an option to add erf(x) support to
> Derivative structure in math3 first (as it is not ported yet), but of
> course this only makes sense if it will be released some day.

Why not work on the development ("master") branch?
[I recall that there have been other suggestions towards improving
the API of the "autodiff" implementation.]
There are many identified issues still to be fixed in CM, but that
shouldn't prevent us from releasing a "4.0-beta" version.

Best regards,
Gilles

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/MATH/versions/12317577

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com>.