Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2011/08/20 17:13:19 UTC

OpenOffice.org Improvement Program, Apache Migration and Privacy Policy

Existing OpenOffice.org prompts user after install on whether they
wish to participate in the "OpenOffice.org Improvement Program".   The
dialog says, "If you are willing to participate, we will collect
anonymous statistics about how you use OpenOffice.org.  This data is
used to identify usage patterns".

A few points on this:

1) Where does this data live today?  What server?

2)  This data likely has some value to the project.  Is it coming to
Apache?  If so, we need a plan for determining whether this data needs
to be treated as sensitive. For example, did it collect IP addresses?

3) As part of the transition to Apache, will the collection point for
this data be moving to a different address?  If so, what effect does
that have on legacy installations of OOo?  Will it slow them down?
Cause a time out error for the user?  Or is it handled silently and
with no user impact?

4) Does any of this impact the privacy policy for the project that is
currently being drafted?

Re: OpenOffice.org Improvement Program, Apache Migration and Privacy Policy

Posted by Graham Lauder <yo...@openoffice.org>.
On Monday, August 22, 2011 01:05:03 AM Christoph Noack wrote:
> Hi Mathias, all!
>
> Am Sonntag, den 21.08.2011, 13:31 +0200 schrieb Mathias Bauer:
> > On 21.08.2011 12:58, Christoph Noack wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > and there is a spec decribing the behavior:
> > > http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/User_Experience/OpenOffice.org
> > > _User_Feedback_Program#Transferring_Data
> > >
> > >  Hope this helps...
> > >
> > > Christoph
> >
> > Hey, don't you know that specifications are evil? :-)
>
> Oh, indeed they are, so I treat them as secret super-weapons ...
> although you've mastered the lengthly Notes2 spec quite well ;-)
>
> > SCNR,
> > Mathias
>
> Great to have you around - kind regards to all the known faces!
>
> Cheers,
> Christoph

Christoph, good to see you pop in.  Don't be a stranger.

Cheers
GL

Graham Lauder,

Re: OpenOffice.org Improvement Program, Apache Migration and Privacy Policy

Posted by Christoph Noack <ch...@dogmatux.com>.
Hi Mathias, all!

Posted by Mathias Bauer <Ma...@gmx.net>.

Posted by Christoph Noack <ch...@dogmatux.com>.
Hi all,

--
Sent via mobile...

Bjoern Michaelsen <bj...@gmail.com> schrieb:

Hi,

On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 19:24:09 +0200
Mathias Bauer <Ma...@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Of course the application also should stop collecting data (otherwise
> it would just fill the hard disk with). I don't remember exactly when
> OOo will do so (perhaps after n futile attempts to send data). I
> would be surprised if we hadn't planned for this case, but I fail to
> remember the exact details.

http://opengrok.libreoffice.org/xref/core/extensions/source/oooimprovement/onlogrotate_job.cxx#93

HTH,

Bjoern

--
https://launchpad.net/~bjoern-michaelsen

Re: OpenOffice.org Improvement Program, Apache Migration and Privacy Policy

Posted by Bjoern Michaelsen <bj...@canonical.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Bjoern Michaelsen <bj...@gmail.com>.

Hi,

Posted by Mathias Bauer <Ma...@gmx.net>.
On 20.08.2011 17:13, Rob Weir wrote:

> Existing OpenOffice.org prompts user after install on whether they
> wish to participate in the "OpenOffice.org Improvement Program".   The
> dialog says, "If you are willing to participate, we will collect
> anonymous statistics about how you use OpenOffice.org.  This data is
> used to identify usage patterns".
>
> A few points on this:
>

> 1) Where does this data live today?  What server?

IIRC it was collected in the "Hamburg lab".

> 2)  This data likely has some value to the project.  Is it coming to
> Apache?  If so, we need a plan for determining whether this data needs
> to be treated as sensitive. For example, did it collect IP addresses?

No, we collected user interactions: which functionality was used, was it
used via menu or toolbar, which buttons in a dialog have been pressed
and in which order etc. No IP addresses or anything else that could be
used to create relationships between data sets from the same user.

IMHO it doesn't make sense to continue collecting data as long as nobody
is interested in working with it. In the old project it was our "user
experience" team. We have to see if something comparable will
materialize inside the AOOo project.

> 3) As part of the transition to Apache, will the collection point for
> this data be moving to a different address?  If so, what effect does
> that have on legacy installations of OOo?  Will it slow them down?
> Cause a time out error for the user?  Or is it handled silently and
> with no user impact?

Whatever we will do, the old installations will no longer find a server.
The data is collected and written to disk (as a csv file that the user
easily can load into Calc to see what is collected), and in certain
intervals OOo tries to send the file to the server. An attempt to send
the data will not block the application, so I don't expect to see a
slowdown if the server is shut down. It also won't disturb the user with
error messages.

Of course the application also should stop collecting data (otherwise it
would just fill the hard disk with). I don't remember exactly when OOo
will do so (perhaps after n futile attempts to send data). I would be
surprised if we hadn't planned for this case, but I fail to remember the
exact details.

Regards,
Mathias