Posted to docs-dev@perl.apache.org by allan <la...@inet.uni2.dk> on 2002/03/25 05:46:20 UTC

various issues to look at and decide at

hi

this is from my latest local build.

please take a look at the url below and -2, -1, 0, +1, or +2
at the following issues:

http://www.bullitt.suite.dk/new_logo_top/download/binaries2.html

1)
a) should we move the search box to the left box area?
b) is it rendered properly on all platforms/browsers?
c) importance of this issue

2)
a) should we use images as sizes for the download widget?
b) is it rendered properly on all platforms/browsers?
c) importance of this issue

3)
a) should we adjust the size of the prev|up|next widget so
it totally has the excat same dimensions as the total
download widget (they are on this particular url)?
b) is it rendered properly on all platforms/browsers?
c) importance of this issue

* this was just a coincidental thought, i can't decide if i
really like that idea

4)
a) should we differ the title-backgrounds on boxes in the
leftbox area?
b) is it rendered properly on all platforms/browsers?
c) importance of this issue

* the colours supplied on this url are more or less random.
i like the idea of changing these colours as it livens the
page up a little bit. on the other hand we might end up with
too many colours and too much noise, confusion. it might
also look too much as a banner section? maybe even
only do it for the search box and then use some of the same
styles as the search results uses?

on these issues, using macintosh in any of "our" usual
browsers i am:

1a = +2
1b = +2
1c = +2

2a = +1
2b = +2
2c = +2

3a = 0
3b = +2
3c = -2

4a = +1
4b = +2
4c = -2

./allan

Re: various issues to look at and decide at

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
allan wrote:
> hi again,
>
> summing up, i think we can agree on this to try:
>
> - search go to the menu area if it renders properly
> - skip download sizes
> - same title-colours for menu boxes

+1

> Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>>>http://www.bullitt.suite.dk/new_logo_top/download/binaries2.html
>>
>>First of all the new top changes has a problem, see the attachment.
>

> i dont understand this. will lokk at it.
> please stas, can you in the meantime confirm that the url
> from the day before yesterday look ok logo-wise in that browser?
> (http://www.bullitt.suite.dk/new_logo_top/download/binaries2.html

no, it's not good.

1. for mozilla the same snapshot applies. There is a fat line in the middle

2. the konqueror still has this problem I've reported before, the old
snapshot applies.

Re: various issues to look at and decide at

Posted by allan <la...@inet.uni2.dk>.
hi again,

Stas Bekman wrote:
> > http://www.bullitt.suite.dk/new_logo_top/download/binaries2.html
>
> First of all the new top changes has a problem, see the attachment.

i dont understand this. will lokk at it.
please stas, can you in the meantime confirm that the url
from the day before yesterday look ok logo-wise in that browser?
(http://www.bullitt.suite.dk/new_logo_top/download/binaries2.html

> > 1)
> > a) should we move the search box to the left box area?
>
> +0
>
> reason: I don't like the idea of taking the search out of the context it
> searches. The left bar is not a part of the content. This makes the
> search less intuitive and requires adding all these checkboxes
>
> > b) is it rendered properly on all platforms/browsers?
>
> +2 Mozilla9.9/linux
>
> > c) importance of this issue
>
> +2
>
> > 2)
> > a) should we use images as sizes for the download widget?
>
> -2,
>
> just skip the size altogether, if people will want to download the pdf
> they will download it no matter what's the size.
>
> > b) is it rendered properly on all platforms/browsers?
>
> -2
>
> we have been through this. If we use text, it should be used in
> prev|next as well, since fonts aren't the same.
>
> > c) importance of this issue
>
> +2,
>
> let's use only images with no sizes
ok. lets skip them

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
allan wrote:
> hi
>
> this is from my latest local build.
>
> please take a look at the url below and -2, -1, 0, +1, or +2
> at the following issues:
>
> http://www.bullitt.suite.dk/new_logo_top/download/binaries2.html

First of all the new top changes has a problem, see the attachment.

> 1)
> a) should we move the search box to the left box area?

+0

reason: I don't like the idea of taking the search out of the context it
searches. The left bar is not a part of the content. This makes the
search less intuitive and requires adding all these checkboxes

> b) is it rendered properly on all platforms/browsers?

+2 Mozilla9.9/linux

> c) importance of this issue

+2

> 2)
> a) should we use images as sizes for the download widget?

-2,

just skip the size altogether, if people will want to download the pdf
they will download it no matter what's the size.

> b) is it rendered properly on all platforms/browsers?

-2

we have been through this. If we use text, it should be used in
prev|next as well, since fonts aren't the same.

> c) importance of this issue

+2,

let's use only images with no sizes

> 3)
> a) should we adjust the size of the prev|up|next widget so
> it totally has the excat same dimensions as the total
> download widget (they are on this particular url)?

I don't understand the question.

All the images should be of the same height. The margin between the text
(or an arrow in the case of prev/next) and borders should be the same,
this will set the needed width.

> b) is it rendered properly on all platforms/browsers?

it's an image, the question is irrelevant :)

> c) importance of this issue

+2

> * this was just a coincidental thought, i can't decide if i
> really like that idea

cannot comment on this since I don't understand what's the idea :)

> 4)
> a) should we differ the title-backgrounds on boxes in the
> leftbox area?

-1

but if we do, should keep to similar colors, e.g. all dark. The reason
is that we don't want to introduce the whole color pallete, and as with
any good web design should stick to a small number of colors.

Posted by Per Einar Ellefsen <pe...@skynet.be>.
At 05:46 25.03.2002, allan wrote:
>hi
>
>this is from my latest local build.
>
>please take a look at the url below and -2, -1, 0, +1, or +2
>at the following issues:
>
>http://www.bullitt.suite.dk/new_logo_top/download/binaries2.html
>

>1)
>a) should we move the search box to the left box area?

+1: as Stas points out, it takes it out of context, but on the other hand,
it's easier to spot (it's not very easy to see it in the upper left
corner), and it's easier to search the whole site. People are lazy and
don't want to go to a separate search page to search something quickly.

>b) is it rendered properly on all platforms/browsers?

On WinXP:
+2 Opera 6.1
+2 IE 6.0
+2 Mozilla 0.9.9

>c) importance of this issue

+2

>2)
>a) should we use images as sizes for the download widget?
>b) is it rendered properly on all platforms/browsers?
>c) importance of this issue

I think Stas is right in that we don't need the sizes. People don't think
so much about the size, and if it's just taking too long, they backstep and
abort the download.

>3)
>a) should we adjust the size of the prev|up|next widget so
>it totally has the excat same dimensions as the total
>download widget (they are on this particular url)?

+2. It looks neat as it is there, so let's keep it that way (except for the
sizes)

>b) is it rendered properly on all platforms/browsers?

+2 ont he 3 mentioned above

>c) importance of this issue

+2

>* this was just a coincidental thought, i can't decide if i
>really like that idea
>

>4)
>a) should we differ the title-backgrounds on boxes in the
>leftbox area?

-1: I think we should stay with a uniform look.

0

--
Per Einar Ellefsen
per.einar@skynet.be