Posted to taglibs-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Stu Robertson <sr...@nvisia.com> on 2005/06/13 20:13:11 UTC

RDC: Will the almost-there (hopefully) nuance grammars work on other platforms?

Nuance seems to support a very old version of the SRGS
specification.  While we don't even have it completely working yet,
it looks like something like the following is what's going to be the
answer:

<rule id="numbers" scope="public">
         <item>
         <ruleref uri="#gathernumbers"/>
           <tag> compatibility=$return </tag>
       </item>
</rule>

<rule id="gathernumbers">
     <item repeat="1-50">
         <item><ruleref uri="#digit"/>
         <tag>assign(a strcat($a strcat(" " $return)))</tag>
       </item>
       <tag> return($a) </tag>
     </item>
</rule>

...and the #digit rule is the same as it was before.

I think the SRGS specification no longer uses this "compatibility=
$return" syntax for tags though.  If that's the case, will still end
up with divergent grammars for different voice interpreters.  At
least until Nuance decides it's time to implement the 15 month-old
recommendation (what's up with that, anyway?).

If that's the case, I think we'll need some simple browser sniffing.
We could recognize when a nuance interpreter is making the request,
and serve it nuance-compatible grammars that are equivalent to the
standard ones.  While this is obviously what the SRGS spec is trying
to avoid, are we stuck with this in the meantime?

If the answer is yes, and it turns out nuance's SRGS flakiness makes
using their outdate implementation too difficult, what do you think
about making that special nuance grammar their proprietary GSL?

Stu

Re: RDC: Will the almost-there (hopefully) nuance grammars work on other platforms?

Posted by Rahul P Akolkar <ak...@us.ibm.com>.
Stu Robertson <sr...@nvisia.com> wrote on 06/13/2005 02:13:11 PM:
<snip/>
> I think the SRGS specification no longer uses this "compatibility=
> $return" syntax for tags though.  If that's the case, will still end
> up with divergent grammars for different voice interpreters.  At
> least until Nuance decides it's time to implement the 15 month-old
> recommendation (what's up with that, anyway?).
>
> If that's the case, I think we'll need some simple browser sniffing.
> We could recognize when a nuance interpreter is making the request,
> and serve it nuance-compatible grammars that are equivalent to the
> standard ones.  While this is obviously what the SRGS spec is trying
> to avoid, are we stuck with this in the meantime? <snap/>

Reminds me of my "if (document.all) then IE else if (document.layers) then
Netscape else ?Mozilla?" days.

I'm not sure if we can meet the laudable goal of one grammar irrespective
of platform. In any case, I think there are really two modes of operation
(and you're refering to the second):
1) Deciding on a platform per deployment of an app
2) Deciding on a platform per request (or session)

The first option is more like a setting or a flag in the app deployment
descriptor, which causes components to pick up the right grammars for the
platform. This, I think, will make the cut in most deployments, since the
browser farm (if there are more than one browsers for load balancing etc.)
tends to be homogeneous i.e. using the same platform (the browser is
usually bundled with the platform). Maintaining anything else will be a
lot of fun.

The current support within the RDC framework allows us to define the
target platform via the web app descriptor (option 1 above). The app
itself is platform agnostic, a particular deployment binds it to a
platform. I'm not sure if this is the right time to go do (2), or if its
even needed.

> If the answer is yes, and it turns out nuance's SRGS flakiness makes
> using their outdate implementation too difficult, what do you think
> about making that special nuance grammar their proprietary GSL?

Maybe, but I'm hoping you'll figure out your Nuance grammar question so we
won't have to :-)

-Rahul