Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Scott Deboy <sd...@comotivsystems.com> on 2008/03/04 22:14:09 UTC

FW: (qpid) Diversity

I'm curious what other incubator folks think about qpid's plan for disclosing the organizational diversity of their committership/PMC (or if this is even a requirement).

Scott Deboy
COMOTIV SYSTEMS
111 SW Columbia Street Ste. 950
Portland, OR  97201

Telephone:      503.224.7496
Cell:           503.997.1367
Fax:            503.222.0185

sdeboy@comotivsystems.com

www.comotivsystems.com

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Marnie McCormack wrote:

> Several of our project (Qpid) memebers are legally in a difficult position
> disclosing their employer in Apache world. They have signed a legal
> document, in order to be allowed to contribute to Apache, and thus this is
> not a simple preference issue.

Mind you, they are obligated by their CLA to ensure that if a CCLA is
required for them to be able to act in accordance with the claims made by
them when they submit the CLA, that such CCLA is also filed.

	--- Noel

Re: (qpid) Diversity

Posted by Marnie McCormack <ma...@googlemail.com>.
Dirk,

It is the first case that applies here i.e.

2.      Having the employer invisible either implies one of two:

       a)      The employer totally does not enter into this and
               the committer is acting a 100% as a private, free
               individual; and his work does not pertain or is
               associated in any way with his other endeavors.

Marnie

Re: (qpid) Diversity

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>.

Re: FW: (qpid) Diversity

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
Another option would be to not consider the people that cannot disclose
their employers when considering the diversity of the project.   If
there are 15 people, and 5 cannot disclose their employer, only consider
the diversity of the remaining people.

Kind of the "err on the side of caution" approach.   It may make it
harder for a project to be "diverse enough", but I'm not sure if that's
actually a bad thing.

There is probably still an issue if a very large number of people on the
project fall into the "cannot disclose" list.  I would hope that isn't
the case though.

Dan

On Wednesday 05 March 2008, sebb wrote:
> On 05/03/2008, Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net> wrote:
> > Marnie McCormack wrote:
> >  > All,
> >  >
> >  > Several of our project (Qpid) memebers are legally in a difficult
> >  > position disclosing their employer in Apache world.
> >
> > Does that mean they are contributing in their private time rather
> >  than as part of their jobs? If so, they should be considered as
> >  independents. If contributing to the project is part of their job
> >  responsibilities, they should be required to disclose the employer.
>
> If the actual employers cannot be disclosed, perhaps it would be
> possible to list the different companies anonymously?
>
> e.g.
> Company 1 employs Adrian, Barbara, Cedric
> Company 2 employs Peter, Quentin, Rick
>
> This might help with determining diversity.
>
> >  > They have signed a legal
> >  > document, in order to be allowed to contribute to Apache, and
> >  > thus this is not a simple preference issue.
> >
> > My own employer's requirements are something like "must not create
> >  the impression to act on behalf of the employer". It doesn't say
> >  "is not allowed to disclose the employer". A statement like
> >  "independent contributor, working for XXX in the day job"
> >  would satisfy that.
> >  If it's just one or two of that category, I wouldn't care about
> >  the employer at all. But previous postings suggest that a lot of
> >  people are working for the same employer, and that's something
> >  that should be clarified. Maybe it's a club of spare time
> > developers that met at work and are now jointly working on Qpid?
> >
> >  cheers,
> >
> >    Roland

J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer, IONA
dkulp@apache.org
http://www.dankulp.com/blog

Re: FW: (qpid) Diversity

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.
sebb wrote:
> On 05/03/2008, Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net> wrote:
>
>> Marnie McCormack wrote:
>>  > All,
>>  >
>>  > Several of our project (Qpid) memebers are legally in a difficult position
>>  > disclosing their employer in Apache world.
>>

>> Does that mean they are contributing in their private time rather
>>  than as part of their jobs? If so, they should be considered as
>>  independents. If contributing to the project is part of their job
>>  responsibilities, they should be required to disclose the employer.
>>

> If the actual employers cannot be disclosed, perhaps it would be
> possible to list the different companies anonymously?
>
> e.g.
> Company 1 employs Adrian, Barbara, Cedric
> Company 2 employs Peter, Quentin, Rick
>
> This might help with determining diversity.

This could work,
Carl.

Re: FW: (qpid) Diversity

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

RE: FW: (qpid) Diversity

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Roland Weber wrote:

> If contributing to the project is part of their job responsibilities,
> they should be required to disclose the employer.

That has not been made a stringent requirement, but see my response to
Melanie for what *is* a requirement.

	--- Noel

Re: FW: (qpid) Diversity

Posted by Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net>.

Re: FW: (qpid) Diversity

Posted by Marnie McCormack <ma...@googlemail.com>.
All,

Several of our project (Qpid) memebers are legally in a difficult position
disclosing their employer in Apache world. They have signed a legal
document, in order to be allowed to contribute to Apache, and thus this is
not a simple preference issue.

Regards,
Marnie

Re: FW: (qpid) Diversity

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.
Davanum Srinivas wrote:

> Carl,
>
> Do they *all* have CCLA's?

absolutely.

Re: FW: (qpid) Diversity

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.

Carl,

Do they *all* have CCLA's?

- -- dims

Re: Where to next...

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 3:44 PM, Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
> > DFA machine as you add bindings.
>

> Sorry to have picked on this. But we need to lead by example.
> Even if things are dirt simple, perhaps it is important to explain to the
> community why u think it is a good idea. Whether u have explored other
> ideas
> etc..
> This sort of thing will engage the community and people might have ideas
> on
> how to improve it or perhpas better ideas.
> More than anything it helps keep the transparency and improves community
> participation.
>

> >  I've not finished it yet, but when I have
> > something ready for people to review I'll post it up.
> >
> > Ok, my goal is to eunsure more transparency of,
> a) what we are planning to do
> b) why we are doing it? ex bug fix, feature, improvement etc.. (JIRA is
> best
> to capture this)
> c) how we are planning to do it
> d) and what sort of time frame (Ex M3...)

> significantly
> > and
> > > place
> > > >

> > Rather than doing this only in the background, I think you should throw
> > the
> > > ideas on the list.
> > > We as a community need to give enough time for people to understand,
> > > review
> > > and comment.
> > > You could continue building your prototype in the background, but the
> > qpid
> > > community should provide more visibility on the design process etc..
> > > Also I would appreciate if everybody get a chance to discuss/review
> the
> > > idea/design and code before you actually make a commit.
> >

> > This is something we discussed at the F2F where you were present.  All I
> > am
> > doing is trying to see how easy it is to move the broker to the
> > architecture
> > we described there.  I believe Rafi took away the pieces of paper with
> > that
> > written on :-)
> >

> Lets put this on the wiki. This will help engaging the comunity.
> We didn't have only a few folks attending the F2F.
> This will also give the community ideas about the direction we are
> talking.
>

> > I'm not going to commit on trunk - don't worry... Since we settled on
> the
> > design in our F2F I think the major thing to do is to have a chat about
> it
> > when I have a proposal ready...
>

> Rob it is not abouting u commiting on the trunk or not. I wouldn't mind u
> commiting this on the trunk provided we  have adequate discussions.
> We need to build a community. And we need to capture these
> discussions/ideas
> in the wiki/JIRA or where ever if we want other folks involved.
> People should get more context as to why we are doing something and where

+1 to what Rajith is saying, involving the community early on in design
review and discussion is an important part of the consensus building
process.

   ...ant

Re: Where to next...

Posted by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi Rob,

wrote:

> [...]

> that
> written on :-)

Lets put this on the wiki. This will help engaging the comunity.
We didn't have only a few folks attending the F2F.
This will also give the community ideas about the direction we are talking.

> I'm not going to commit on trunk - don't worry... Since we settled on the
> design in our F2F I think the major thing to do is to have a chat about it
> when I have a proposal ready...

Rob it is not abouting u commiting on the trunk or not. I wouldn't mind u
commiting this on the trunk provided we  have adequate discussions.
We need to build a community. And we need to capture these discussions/ideas
in the wiki/JIRA or where ever if we want other folks involved.
People should get more context as to why we are doing something and where we

Rajith Attapattu
Red Hat
blog: http://rajith.2rlabs.com/

Re: Where to next...

Posted by Robert Godfrey <ro...@gmail.com>.
Hi Rajith,

> Since this is a major area, could you please share your design ideas on
> the
> list?
> Like create a JIRA and post a wiki page.
> This can start a disscussion where everybody else can comment/contribute
> in
> terms of ideas or code.
> This will ensure that the community feels part of the process and the
> community share collective responsibility.

Not actually sure this is a *major* area :-)  It is simply a new
implementation of the matching algorithms.  Are you familiar with DFAs?
There isn't really to much more to it than as I described above: it builds a
DFA machine as you add bindings.  I've not finished it yet, but when I have

Re: Where to next...

Posted by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com>.

Re: Where to next...

Posted by Robert Godfrey <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 14/03/2008, Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com> wrote:

>  Based on some conversations I want to get a thread going on the
>  following....
>
>  It looks like M2.1 is landing nicely, so it might be time to start a
>  thread on M3 scope. M3 work
>  has begun as we all know but I think we need to block up what M3 will
>  looks like, JIRA it and do the
>  scope closing for it.
>
>  This is my view of what M3 looks like -- please add, rant, comment etc...
>
>  - Land the 'bigmergebranch' between M2.1 and truck

+1

>  - Tests, tests and more tests...

+ [image: \aleph_0]

>  - Java client M2.1(0-8/9) interop + AMQP 0-10
>  - Java broker merged (still talking 0-8/9?)

+1

>  - Java broker (what else here??)

I have been working on new Finite State Automata versions of the Topic and
Headers exchanges which I can probably finish off in this time.  These will
give matching times proportional to the length of the routing key / headers
arguments; independent of the number of bindings to the exchange.

>  - C++ Broker 0-10 (TCP +IB)
>  - C++ Broker clustering module
>  - C++ Client 0-10
>  - Ruby 0-10
>  - .NET 0-10  (see rabbit has done WCF layer, do we want pick anything up
>  from that as it is ASL, do we also want to support 0-8/9 from the same
>  client, updating our client...)

All sounds sensible

>  Other items:
>  - do we want to try have common events between brokers for mgmt?
>  - I expect that we will work to get the Java broker both 0-8/9 and 0-10
>  for M4
>  - Lot of DTX & JTA work has been done for Java how to review/ merge etc
>  this?

I would hold off on the DTX stuff until M4.  We need to significantly
refactor the Java Broker (another thing I am doing in the background and
will look to commit after we have M3 out of the way) and also put in place
flow-to-disk.  This, plus the 0-10 work (and getting the broker to being
able to transparently convert messages between 0-8/0-9/0-10) will probably
affect how the DTX stuff will need to be added.

>  Let's refine the list on mail and then build a JIRA set for M3.

Yes - we should start a JIRA set for M3 and for M4

>  Also, do we expect we will need to do a M2.2 - if so what is it?

I am not anticipating an M2.2; or any other releases off the M2 branch other
than bug fixes.  Anyone else?

-- Rob

Re: Where to next...

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.

>> - .NET 0-10  (see rabbit has done WCP layer, do we want pick anything up
>> from that as it is ASL, do we also want to support 0-8/9 from the same
>> client, updating our client...)
>>

> I wonder if we want to continue working on our .NET client? I ask that
> as a genuine question rather than a statement of my opinion. I think
> it would be worthwhile understanding the limitations of a WCF approach
> - people will not be surprised given my support of "extended JMS" in
> Java to hear that a WCF (or extended WCF) implementation would to me
> *seem* the best way of supporting our .NET users.
>
> If the Rabbit client looks good then perhaps it makes sense to
> recommend our users adopt it. I know we have struggled to find the
> bandwidth to maintain our existing .NET client.

Few problems, the Rabbit one is only 0-9, and don't know when they will
do 0-10. also I
am not sure they have bandwidth either. I would say we should work out
the best way to
get to 0-10 and get a community going around the .NET client. At some
point we had lots
of people wanting to work on it. WCF is a fine approach from what I can
tell.

Anyone want to help lead the charge on the 0-10 .NET client?

Carl.

Re: Where to next...

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.
I think I might take a hack at putting up a release wiki page

Carl.

Re: Where to next...

Re: Where to next...

Posted by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com>.
Robert Greig wrote:
> On 14/03/2008, Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com> wrote:
>> It looks like M2.1 is landing nicely, so it might be time to start a
>> thread on M3 scope. M3 work
>> has begun as we all know but I think we need to block up what M3 will
>> looks like, JIRA it and do the
>> scope closing for it.
>
> This all looks reasonable to me; my comment would be that we should
> not make the scope too wide so that we can deliver a release that
> gives real benefits in a reasonable time line, e.g. build complete by
> June/July timeframe.
>
>> This is my view of what M3 looks like -- please add, rant, comment etc...
>>
>> - Land the 'bigmergebranch' between M2.1 and truck
>> - Tests, tests and more tests...
>> - Java client M2.1(0-8/9) interop + AMQP 0-10
>> - Java broker merged (still talking 0-8/9?)
>> - Java broker (what else here??)
>> - C++ Broker 0-10 (TCP +IB)
>> - C++ Broker clustering module
>
> Is clustering something that is likely to be ready for M3?

I'm aiming for fault-tolerant C++ broker and failover in at least C++, Java and
python clients in that time frame.

Re: Where to next...

Posted by Robert Greig <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 14/03/2008, Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com> wrote:

> It looks like M2.1 is landing nicely, so it might be time to start a
> thread on M3 scope. M3 work
> has begun as we all know but I think we need to block up what M3 will
> looks like, JIRA it and do the
> scope closing for it.

This all looks reasonable to me; my comment would be that we should
not make the scope too wide so that we can deliver a release that
gives real benefits in a reasonable time line, e.g. build complete by
June/July timeframe.

> This is my view of what M3 looks like -- please add, rant, comment etc...
>
> - Land the 'bigmergebranch' between M2.1 and truck
> - Tests, tests and more tests...
> - Java client M2.1(0-8/9) interop + AMQP 0-10
> - Java broker merged (still talking 0-8/9?)
> - Java broker (what else here??)
> - C++ Broker 0-10 (TCP +IB)
> - C++ Broker clustering module

Is clustering something that is likely to be ready for M3?

> - C++ Client 0-10
> - Ruby 0-10

Can someone give an update on the state of the Ruby module? Do we have
anyone who has the bandwidth to work on it? Is anyone using the
existing module?

> - .NET 0-10  (see rabbit has done WCP layer, do we want pick anything up
> from that as it is ASL, do we also want to support 0-8/9 from the same
> client, updating our client...)

I wonder if we want to continue working on our .NET client? I ask that
as a genuine question rather than a statement of my opinion. I think
it would be worthwhile understanding the limitations of a WCF approach
- people will not be surprised given my support of "extended JMS" in
Java to hear that a WCF (or extended WCF) implementation would to me
*seem* the best way of supporting our .NET users.

If the Rabbit client looks good then perhaps it makes sense to
recommend our users adopt it. I know we have struggled to find the
bandwidth to maintain our existing .NET client.

> Other items:
> - do we want to try have common events between brokers for mgmt?

As discussed elsewhere I think this would be good although I would not
think it a big issue if it was an M4 task.

> - I expect that we will work to get the Java broker both 0-8/9 and 0-10
> for M4

> Let's refine the list on mail and then build a JIRA set for M3.

In summary I think getting an M3 with the 0-10 protocol (backwards
compatible to 0-9) would be my focus, keeping the scope of the
released focussed on that.

RG

Where to next...

Re: FW: (qpid) Diversity

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.
Martin Ritchie wrote:
> [...]
>>

>>> all but 4 commits since Jan 1 can easily be contributed to RedHat
>>>
>>  employees.
>>

>>> I think the above should provide enough information about the health and
>>>
>>  > diversity of the community that actually working on the code.
>>

>> What is the Qpid community's response to these findings?
>>

>>         --- Noel
>>

> Ok I have a few comments in response to the findings:
>
> - Firstly not all work is done on trunk so purely looking at trunk is
> not a good metric
>
> - Looking at the last two months especially as that includes the start
> of the year which is typically a quite period also will show poor
> commit numbers.
>
> - We are preparing for an M2.1 release so a lot of effort is being
> expended on that branch.
>
> My take would be to look at the last 6 months, which admittedly
> includes a number of holiday periods so the count of commits may be a
> little low. Since 2007-09 for the commits on the qpid repository
> shows:
>
> aconway 272
> aidan 54
> arnaudsimon 230
> astitcher 16
> cctrieloff 45
> gsim 201
> kpvdr 11
> nsantos 8
> rajith 169
> rgodfrey 99
> rgreig 98
> rhs 151
> ritchiem 593
> rupertlssmith 468
>
> 1103	RedHat
> 1312    Non-Aligned
>
> So Redhat have less than half the commits to Qpid so I don't think
> this is something we should worry about. Keeping an eye on for sure,
> but over analysing the alignment of those people that don't want to or
> are not allowed to say who they work for is not something that Apache
> requires nor would it be beneficial. Saying that we are not diverse
> because a lot of work on trunk has been done by a small set of people
> over a two month period is not helpful to the discussion.
>
> It is also worth noting that volume of commits does not in anyway
> correspond to the quantity of code changed and even looking at lines
> changes cannot say anything for the quality. I think the fact that we
> have an active project that has matured to the point that where we
> feel as though we can self regulate in the Apache Way speaks far more
> to the community of the project than identifying who is paying the
> bills.
>
> The whole project worked very hard to pull together two servers and
> five client libraries for the M2 release all talking AMQP 0-8. We are
> again working as a community to provide a M2.1 release that will inter
> operate at AMQP 0-9 with other AMQP products outside the Apache world.
> I for one am looking forward to our future releases where we can again
> move the entire project on to the wholly different AMQP 0-10.

What is the next step on this? Does the concern still exist or should we
take the next step.

regards
Carl.

Re: FW: (qpid) Diversity

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Mar 8, 2008 at 7:03 AM, Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> wrote:

> On Friday 07 March 2008 03:04, Daniel Kulp wrote:
> > That all said, I'm NOT on the IPMC.   Thus, my thoughts don't really
> > count other than to provide insight based on MY experiences.  I don't
> > have a binding vote.
>
> But your view is highly appreciated.

+1

- robert

Re: FW: (qpid) Diversity

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Friday 07 March 2008 03:04, Daniel Kulp wrote:
> That all said, I'm NOT on the IPMC.   Thus, my thoughts don't really
> count other than to provide insight based on MY experiences.  I don't
> have a binding vote.

But your view is highly appreciated.

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer

I  live here; http://tinyurl.com/2qq9er
I  work here; http://tinyurl.com/2ymelc
I relax here; http://tinyurl.com/2cgsug

Re: FW: (qpid) Diversity

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 7:04 PM, Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Thursday 06 March 2008, Martin Ritchie wrote:

<snip>

> > We are
> > again working as a community to provide a M2.1 release that will inter
> > operate at AMQP 0-9 with other AMQP products outside the Apache world.
> > I for one am looking forward to our future releases where we can again
> > move the entire project on to the wholly different AMQP 0-10.
>
> And nothing stops you from doing all of that while still in the incubator
> while working on trying to furthur diversify your community.  Working
> with other AMQP products could be a perfect opportunity to find other
> interested people and get them involved with Qpid.  Why rush?

+1

> From experience with CXF, after we got 2.0 and 2.0.1 out the door, we
> thought the same way.  "Hey, we worked hard to get the TCK passing,
> integrated with Geronimo, and two releases out, we're ready to go!" but
> Jim (one of our mentors) still had concerns about diversity.   Thus, we
> stuck with it and worked hard on getting other people more involved.
> It has paid off as we have added several very good folks that have
> brought fresh ideas and perspectives to the project.  If we HAD
> graduated, I'm not sure if we would have spent the time/effort on the
> mentoring and such that was required to bring them on board.  We've
> learned a lot in the process.  In hind sight, Jim was completely
> correct.  Part of the "Apache way" you talk about is being concious of
> things like that.

IMHO community building is by far the toughest skill in open source. for a
project to be viable in the long run, it needs to learn to recruit and
mentor new developers.

this takes effort but it's rewarding to see other people with fresh ideas
pick up a project and take it forward. it's great to see someone you helped
take the first steps here at apache progress all the way to member.
prefecting this may well take a lifetime but the basics can be learn by some
hard work.

engaging a wider audience and community then inducting them to share in the
development of a project is the major reason why closed source projects
should choose to open up at apache. the IPMC has failed unless we equip
projects with the lessons needed to thrive in an open development
environment. the reason why we examine projects which arrive from a closed
source background more closely is that they have not had the chance to
develop these skills before arrival. these cannot easily to learnt by
reading but only by doing. so we ask projects to learn by doing: go out and
diversify.

-  robert

Re: FW: (qpid) Diversity

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Thursday 06 March 2008, Martin Ritchie wrote:
> - Firstly not all work is done on trunk so purely looking at trunk is
> not a good metric

That's fair.  I forgot about the work on the branches.  That's a very
valid point.    Updated list with branches added from Jan 1:

Alan Conway        RH       84
Aidan Skinner      ?        51
Arnaud Simon       RH       48
Andrew Stitcher    RH
Carl Trieloff      RH       6
Gordon Sim         RH       40
Jim Meyering       ?
John O'Hara        JPMC
Marnie McCormack   JPMC     (maternity)
Martin Ritchie     JMPC     42
Kim van der Riet   RH
Nuno Santos        RH       6
Rafael Schloming   RH       56
Rajith Attapattu   RH       24
Robert Godfrey     JPMC     14
Robert Greig.      JPMC
Rupert Smith       ?        36

264 RH
143 Non-RH

Back to Nov 1:
Alan Conway        RH       167
Aidan Skinner               51
Arnaud Simon       RH       105
Andrew Stitcher    RH       5
Carl Trieloff      RH       22
Gordon Sim         RH       107
Jim Meyering
John O'Hara        JPMC
Marnie McCormack   JPMC     (maternity)
Martin Ritchie     JMPC     81
Kim van der Riet   RH       10
Nuno Santos        RH       7
Rafael Schloming   RH       60
Rajith Attapattu   RH       58
Robert Godfrey     JPMC     20
Robert Greig.      JPMC
Rupert Smith                63

541 RH
215 Non-RH

> - Looking at the last two months especially as that includes the start
> of the year which is typically a quite period also will show poor
> commit numbers.

Yes, lower numbers, but they should still be relatively proportional as
it should be just as poor for RH folks as for non RH folks, right?
The issue isn't the number of commits, it's who is doing them.  Anyway,
I added a 4 months set shown above.

Yes, # of commits is not a "good" metric as different people work
different ways.  Example: I tend to commit small things several times a
day.   If I find a spelling mistake, it gets committed.   Other people
save things up and do larger commits.   It's all personal.   The thing
that the IPMC needs to know more about are "trends".  Is the community
getting better or worse from  a diversity standpoint.   That IS
subjective to some extent and each IPMC member may interpret the data
differently, but the point is they need the data.    Thus, having the 6
month, 4 month, and 2 month numbers is a start.

> - We are preparing for an M2.1 release so a lot of effort is being
> expended on that branch.

Fine.   I included the entire trunk + branches dirs.

> My take would be to look at the last 6 months, which admittedly
> includes a number of holiday periods so the count of commits may be a
> little low. Since 2007-09 for the commits on the qpid repository
> shows:
>
> aconway 272
> aidan 54
> arnaudsimon 230
> astitcher 16
> cctrieloff 45
> gsim 201
> kpvdr 11
> nsantos 8
> rajith 169
> rgodfrey 99
> rgreig 98
> rhs 151
> ritchiem 593
> rupertlssmith 468
>
> 1103	RedHat
> 1312    Non-Aligned
>
> So Redhat have less than half the commits to Qpid so I don't think
> this is something we should worry about.

It IS something to worry about if all the "Non-Aligned" folks really are
aligned together under one entity.  The questions that each IPMC member
needs to answer for themselves based on all the metrics are:

1) If RedHat decides tomorrow to pull all it's engineers off of qpid,
would the project survive?

2) If the "entity" behind the "non-aligns" gets bought out by another
entity that has no interest in AMQP and pulls the engineers off, will
the project survive?

Those are the things the IPMC must consider (and the board if graduating
top level) as it affects the long term viability of the project.

> Keeping an eye on for sure,
> but over analysing the alignment of those people that don't want to or
> are not allowed to say who they work for is not something that Apache
> requires nor would it be beneficial. Saying that we are not diverse
> because a lot of work on trunk has been done by a small set of people
> over a two month period is not helpful to the discussion.

But it helps provide insite into the above questions, so it is helpful.
Other things that aren't even mentioned in this are things like
participation on the dev list, documentation updates, wiki updates, JIRA
cleanups, etc....   Those are all ALSO important metrics and maybe some
of the folks above are more valuable in areas other than the raw code.
There are lots of roles in a community, the code is just a single metric
amoungst many.  For example:
http://markmail.org/search/?q=qpid+type%3Adevelopment+date%3A200709-200803
is another metric.

> It is also worth noting that volume of commits does not in anyway
> correspond to the quantity of code changed and even looking at lines
> changes cannot say anything for the quality. I think the fact that we
> have an active project that has matured to the point that where we
> feel as though we can self regulate in the Apache Way speaks far more
> to the community of the project than identifying who is paying the
> bills.
>
> The whole project worked very hard to pull together two servers and
> five client libraries for the M2 release all talking AMQP 0-8.

And that is all to be commended.  It was a good effort.

> We are
> again working as a community to provide a M2.1 release that will inter
> operate at AMQP 0-9 with other AMQP products outside the Apache world.
> I for one am looking forward to our future releases where we can again
> move the entire project on to the wholly different AMQP 0-10.

And nothing stops you from doing all of that while still in the incubator
while working on trying to furthur diversify your community.  Working
with other AMQP products could be a perfect opportunity to find other
interested people and get them involved with Qpid.  Why rush?

From experience with CXF, after we got 2.0 and 2.0.1 out the door, we
thought the same way.  "Hey, we worked hard to get the TCK passing,
integrated with Geronimo, and two releases out, we're ready to go!" but
Jim (one of our mentors) still had concerns about diversity.   Thus, we
stuck with it and worked hard on getting other people more involved.
It has paid off as we have added several very good folks that have
brought fresh ideas and perspectives to the project.  If we HAD
graduated, I'm not sure if we would have spent the time/effort on the
mentoring and such that was required to bring them on board.  We've
learned a lot in the process.  In hind sight, Jim was completely
correct.  Part of the "Apache way" you talk about is being concious of
things like that.

Another metric I personally like to look at is how well the community has
interacted with the "Apache community as a whole."  Aka: have they
worked well with other Apache projects and such.   While not a
requirement, this helps to show how well the folks "get it".  Looking at
the list of committers, only Rajith is a committer on stuff other than
qpid.  When you found bugs in the projects you depend on (like Mina),
did you file patches and stuff to help out those communities or did you
just file a bug and say "fix it"?  Did you work with them to try and get
a release incorporating your changes/fixes?  Again, not a requirement,
just another metric that is weighed in with everything else.   In the
other direction, when other projects wanted to use qpid, did you help
them out?   This is an important part of trying to grow your community.
If more people use it, the more likely they will contribute patches and
ideas and potentially become committers.  In my experience, the answer
to #2 was "barely".  I wanted to add qpid JMS testing to CXF and I WAS
working with qpid folks to help get M2 artifacts publishable/releasable
to maven repos so maven based projects could use it, but a last minute
decision (off list, that's another issue) killed that and I'm still
stuck.  Again, that was MY experience.  Other folks may have had a
better experience.  I know Rajith has done some work with Synapse.   Not
sure the extent or result.  Again, not "required", just another data
point.

"Is the community ready to graduate?" is a very subjective opinion.
There are a LOT of variables that go into it and each IPMC member will
weigh them differently.  Each IPMC member has different past experiences
and different priorities.   The community thinking they are ready is
only one small part of it.

That all said, I'm NOT on the IPMC.   Thus, my thoughts don't really
count other than to provide insight based on MY experiences.  I don't
have a binding vote.   The IPMC folks are the ones that will need to
figure out if the diversity of the qpid community is a concern and, if
so, if the qpid community has taken steps to rectify that.

Anyway, that's my inflation adjusted $.02 worth.

--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer, IONA

Re: FW: (qpid) Diversity

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.

Re: (qpid) Diversity

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Monday 10 March 2008 15:24, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Exactly; not every computer professional to walk in to their boss/client
> and say "hey - I want to invent software for us, and publish it however
> I like".  But it's feasible to say "hey - we could accomplish x, y and z
> if I was contributing changes to this code we use to the ASF, but I need
> this agreement signed off since my employment agreement / work for hire
> ownership issues are in my way from doing that".

Yes and No.
We say that ASF requires the CCLA, even for individuals that are in
jurisdictions/situations where it is superflous. THAT is different from the
scenario described above. AFAIK, we don't say; "If you are uncertain of your
rights, please have your employer sign the CCLA for your own protection
against your employer, and the ASF will keep it safe for you.", which seems
to be a more accurate description of reality.

Cheers

Re: (qpid) Diversity

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> One more thing; I can't recall seeing that we encourage people to have new
> CCLAs submitted from new employers when they change jobs. My guess is that it
> is commonly forgotten, since it is not spoken much of.

That's why it should be reframed to it's original point; the committer / CLA
signer is responsible for the agreement they sign with the ASF.  That's the
very beginning and end of story.

If another contract would void, negate or superscede *their* CLA, they are
solely responsible to fix that.  The CCLA helps them do that without having
to navigate complicated work for hire laws, employment laws, and their own
employement agreement or commercial contracts, etc.

Re: (qpid) Diversity

Re: (qpid) Diversity

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> On Mar 7, 2008, at 11:07 PM, Niclas Hedhman wrote:
>> On Friday 07 March 2008 16:39, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>>> So the CCLA exists for those who's employment agreements would otherwise
>>> cause them to violate their claims made via their CLA contract.
>>
>> Uhhh.... So, are we now saying that heaps of people don't need to get
>> the CCLA
>> from their employer? I thought the CCLA was the "belt and suspenders" to
>> ensure that the employee has the right that he claims. Otherwise, why
>> is the
>> CCLA a matter between the employer and ASF, and not a standard
>> document to be
>> signed between the employer and employee, for the employee to keep.
>
> Because it is more politically correct (easier for the employee) if the paper
> says it is coming from the ASF, it is a lot easier for the employer to
> understand why another corporation would need that permission, and it is
> a lot less likely to be "lost" if it is recorded with a third party.
> The employee can (and should) keep a copy for themselves in their own
> records.

Exactly; not every computer professional to walk in to their boss/client
and say "hey - I want to invent software for us, and publish it however
I like".  But it's feasible to say "hey - we could accomplish x, y and z
if I was contributing changes to this code we use to the ASF, but I need
this agreement signed off since my employment agreement / work for hire
ownership issues are in my way from doing that".

Bill

Re: (qpid) Diversity

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Re: (qpid) Diversity

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.
On Mar 7, 2008, at 11:07 PM, Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On Friday 07 March 2008 16:39, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>> So the CCLA exists for those who's employment agreements would
>> otherwise
>> cause them to violate their claims made via their CLA contract.
>
> Uhhh.... So, are we now saying that heaps of people don't need to
> get the CCLA
> from their employer? I thought the CCLA was the "belt and
> suspenders" to
> ensure that the employee has the right that he claims. Otherwise,
> why is the
> CCLA a matter between the employer and ASF, and not a standard
> document to be
> signed between the employer and employee, for the employee to keep.

Because it is more politically correct (easier for the employee) if
the paper
says it is coming from the ASF, it is a lot easier for the employer to
understand why another corporation would need that permission, and it is
a lot less likely to be "lost" if it is recorded with a third party.
The employee can (and should) keep a copy for themselves in their own
records.

....Roy

Re: (qpid) Diversity

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.

Re: FW: (qpid) Diversity

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Re: FW: (qpid) Diversity

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Re: FW: (qpid) Diversity

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Scott Deboy wrote:
> Does ASF need proof that a transfer of intellectual property ownership
> occurred?

In your CLA - you attest that you have that right.  If you don't - it's
on you to remedy it.  The ASF doesn't broker relationships between
developers and their employers, clients, or spouses :)

RE: FW: (qpid) Diversity

Posted by Scott Deboy <sd...@comotivsystems.com>.

Posted by Robert Greig <ro...@gmail.com>.

RE: FW: (qpid) Diversity

Posted by Scott Deboy <sd...@comotivsystems.com>.
For the qpid folks who don't want to divulge their employer: are they
working on the project as part of their employment?  If so, it would
appear we need a CCLA, correct?

If we don't know the committer's employer (and they're working on the
project as an employee), we can't determine if a CCLA is on file.

>From http://www.apache.org/licenses/

---
For a corporation that has assigned employees to work on an Apache
project, a Corporate CLA (CCLA) is available for contributing
intellectual property via the corporation, that may have been assigned
as part of an employment agreement. Note that a Corporate CLA does not
remove the need for every developer to sign their own CLA as an
individual, to cover any of their contributions which are not owned by
the corporation signing the CCLA.
----

Scott Deboy

> >  > a quick svn log on their SVN repo for all commits since Jan 1
> [suggests
> >  that]
> >
> > > all but 4 commits since Jan 1 can easily be contributed to RedHat
> >  employees.
> >

> > > I think the above should provide enough information about the
health
> and
> >  > diversity of the community that actually working on the code.
> >

> > What is the Qpid community's response to these findings?
> >

> >         --- Noel

I believe if a committer has signed the required legal documents then
thats
all what matters.
If they are uncomfortable disclosing their employer then perhaps we
should
respect that.
What is important is that these folks are contributing to the project in
legal manner.
The last thing we want is to discourage people from contributing.

As martin has pointed out, looking at the last 6 months and just the
trunk
is not a fair evaluation of diversity.
We should also not forget the significant contributions made by the
following folks in the last year or two.
Off the top of my head.

Colin Crist - Hermes JMS integration
Kevin Smith - SSL patch for the java broker.
Steve Vinoski - Maven build system
Tomas Restrepo - .NET client.
There was also a few individuals who made patches for the python client
get it interoperating with other open source implementations.

I am very optimistic that our community will continue to grow with more
contributions as we increase our visibility and efforts to integrate
with
other projects like Synapse, Axis2, Tuscany, CXF etc..

Regards,

Rajith Attapattu
Red Hat
blog: http://rajith.2rlabs.com/

Re: FW: (qpid) Diversity

Posted by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 8:23 AM, Martin Ritchie <ri...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 06/03/2008, Noel J. Bergman <no...@devtech.com> wrote:
> > Daniel Kulp write:
> >  > a quick svn log on their SVN repo for all commits since Jan 1
> [suggests
> >  that]
> >
> > > all but 4 commits since Jan 1 can easily be contributed to RedHat
> >  employees.
> >

> > > I think the above should provide enough information about the health
> and
> >  > diversity of the community that actually working on the code.
> >

> > What is the Qpid community's response to these findings?
> >

> >         --- Noel

I believe if a committer has signed the required legal documents then thats
all what matters.
If they are uncomfortable disclosing their employer then perhaps we should
respect that.
What is important is that these folks are contributing to the project in a
legal manner.
The last thing we want is to discourage people from contributing.

As martin has pointed out, looking at the last 6 months and just the trunk
is not a fair evaluation of diversity.
We should also not forget the significant contributions made by the
following folks in the last year or two.
Off the top of my head.

Colin Crist - Hermes JMS integration
Kevin Smith - SSL patch for the java broker.
Steve Vinoski - Maven build system
Tomas Restrepo - .NET client.
There was also a few individuals who made patches for the python client to

Re: FW: (qpid) Diversity

Posted by Martin Ritchie <ri...@apache.org>.

RE: FW: (qpid) Diversity

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Daniel Kulp write:

Re: FW: (qpid) Diversity

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
Well, a quick svn log on their SVN repo for all commits since Jan 1 and
some google/"linked in" searches yields:  (disclaimer: I could be wrong
on some of these, it was a quick search, people may no longer be with
these companies, etc...)

Committer          Company  #Commits
Aidan Skinner               2
Alan Conway        RH       84
Arnaud Simon       RH       48
Andrew Stitcher    RH
Carl Trieloff      RH       5
Gordon Sim         RH       38
Jim Meyering
John O'Hara        JPMC
Marnie McCormack   JPMC
Martin Ritchie     JMPC     2
Kim van der Riet   RH
Nuno Santos        RH       6
Rafael Schloming   RH       56
Rajith Attapattu   RH       24
Robert Godfrey     JPMC
Robert Greig.      JPMC
Rupert Smith

Mentors:
Paul Fremantle
Yoav Shapira

Thus, all but 4 commits since Jan 1 can easily be contributed to RedHat
employees.  I couldn't quickly find company affiliations for 3 of the
folks, but I think the above should provide enough information about the
health and diversity of the community that actually working on the code.
I didn't look at the dev list or wiki changes or anything so there could
be additional contributions there.

Dan

--
J. Daniel Kulp