Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Andrew Bayer <ab...@apache.org> on 2013/06/01 01:13:36 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache jclouds 1.6.1-incubating, RC2

Hello,

This is the second release candidate for Apache jclouds 1.6.1-incubating,
the first jclouds release at Apache.

The PPMC has approved the release at this point, so this is an IPMC vote.

It fixes the following issues:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?version=12324412&styleName=Html&projectId=12314430

*** Please download, test and vote by Monday, June 3nd, 5pm PDT.

Note that we are voting upon the source (tag), binaries are provided for
convenience.

Source and binary files:
http://people.apache.org/~abayer/jclouds-1.6.1-incubating-candidate-2

Maven staging repo:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachejclouds-043

The tags to be voted upon:
- jclouds -
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-jclouds.git;a=tag;h=5123403cd8e146861be8b94d1b5ec2c4574ed810
- jclouds-labs -
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-jclouds-labs.git;a=tag;h=5e78e6ed2343e84cc48492edc1147f4c68f2d0e3
- jclouds-chef -
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-jclouds-chef.git;a=tag;h=665a98fa04f313645aa484acd7959c721583f808
- jclouds-karaf -
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-jclouds-karaf.git;a=tag;h=fc357921782db55e01d27ad3cc1a392825978ef2
- jclouds-cli -
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-jclouds-cli.git;a=tag;h=c7f3509bbcb40a5cd35f917fbcf2c05222542de4

jclouds KEYS file containing PGP keys we use to sign the release:
http://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/jclouds/KEYS

[ ] +1
[ ] 0
[ ] -1 (explain why)

A.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache jclouds 1.6.1-incubating, RC2

Posted by Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com>.
Good point - mea culpa on the lazy consensus. I got overly optimistic there, and had gotten mixed messages in the past on the necessity/significance of the PPMC vote.

Let's turn this thread (on the dev list) into the PPMC vote thread - same deadline of 5pm PDT on Monday, if that's ok with everyone. And definitely do follow David's advice on vetting the release candidate.

A.

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Fwd: [VOTE] Release Apache jclouds 1.6.1-incubating, RC2

Posted by Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com>.
Actually, we are going to pause the IPMC vote while we clarify the PPMC vote. I'll send a new thread when we're ready to restart the IPMC vote, but I would definitely appreciate any comments and concerns on the RC2 artifacts in the mean time.

A.

Posted by Alan Cabrera <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Posted by Alan Cabrera <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Posted by Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com>.
I agree with Ignasi - we do need to get rid of the blanket exclusion for
src/test/resources, but the XML files there are, in my opinion, pretty
clearly not creative.

A.

Posted by Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com>.
No worries. I'm just gonna start cracking the whip for RC3 tomorrow!

A.

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Posted by Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com>.
https://wiki.apache.org/jclouds/1.6.1%20Incubating%20Release%20Issues. I'm

Posted by Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tom White <to...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Ignasi <ig...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for checking Tom!

Posted by Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com>.
Will do.

Posted by Tom White <to...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Ignasi <ig...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Posted by Ignasi <ig...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the feedback David,

Those json files do not have the license headers, because they are in
the src/test/resources package and are only intended to be used as
test expectation data. This was already discussed in [1] and the
conclusion was that the licensing creativity clause justified this.
Should we change something here?

Regarding the json files with copyright, it is not the file itself
what is copyrighted. Those files contain the json representation (the
body of a  Chef REST API response) of a cookbook. So the cookbook
itself has a license, and if you download the cookbook from the
Opscode Community site, then you have to respect it; but those json
files are just the body of a REST response, which includes the
metadata of the cookbook (and its licensing information too); but it
is just the Api response in json format; nothing we are
re-distributing or similar.

The resources/LICENSE.txt and resources/NOTICE.txt have the same
purpose than the ones in the resource folder in the jclouds main
distribution. Since jclouds-chef is in a different repository, the
resources directory was also included there. Should it be removed?

Thanks for your feedback,

Ignasi

[1] http://markmail.org/message/pg2hxols62sfas3z

Posted by Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com>.
FYI, I've created a wiki page at
https://wiki.apache.org/jclouds/1.6.1%20Incubating%20Release%20Issues for
noting issues encountered in RCs and when they're fixed.

A.

Posted by Andrew Phillips <ap...@qrmedia.com>.

Posted by Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Phillips <ap...@qrmedia.com>.

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Posted by Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com>.
Okiedokie - consider this an "until the mentors have been able to dive through all the release artifacts" period of undetermined length, with RC3 coming when the mentors believe they've found all the problems and we've addressed them for the next build.

Those license headers are...embarrassing. Everything in all the repos is covered by the SGA, so yeah, I'll fix those and get rid of the redundant LICENSE.txt.

A.

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Posted by Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matt Stephenson <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrew Phillips <ap...@qrmedia.com>.

gpg: Good signature from "Andrew Bayer (CODE SIGNING KEY) <ab...@apache.org>"

Posted by Ignasi <ig...@gmail.com>.
Performed the following tests:

* Build jclouds, jclouds-labs and jclouds-chef tags and all builds
succeeded (the build included RAT plugin execution and everything is
ok too)

* Run the live tests for Chef and Hosted Chef. All passing except two
in HostedChef: one due to a timeout, and the other one because of a
known issue in HostedChef, so everything is OK in our side.

* Downloaded the dependencies from the staging repos and tested the
integration with the ComputeService with jclouds-examples, chef-solo,
Abiquo and EC2, and everything is OK. Also verified the signatures of
the chef artifacts in the repo with Andrew's key in the jclouds KEYS
file and they are OK.

+1 binding, PPMC.

Posted by Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com>.
Will do. I didn't make ay changes to the binary assembly, other than its name, so it's not a surprise that there are changes needed there.

A.

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
hehe (have a look at helix release procedure:  section 5 of
http://helix.incubator.apache.org/releasing.html )

I have some issues with jclouds-cli-assembly-1.6.1-incubating.zip/tar.gz

It doesn't include:
* DISCLAIMER
* NOTICE (especially this one must contains "I. Included Software
section" as it contains a lot of jars) (as a sample see this file in
the Apache Karaf distrib). And BTW the other sections (II. Used
Software and III. License Summary) I'm pretty maven can do that for
you ;-) . All included jars have compliant license (mostly Apache
except bouncycastle but MIT so ok)
* LICENSE

2013/6/4 Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com>:
> 'cos I didn't know that was an option? =)
>
> people.a.o is back, fwiw.
>
> A.
>
> On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 4:46 AM, Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> I will but when people.a.o will be back.
>> Why not using svnpubsub for vote ?
>>
>> 2013/6/3 Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com>:
>> > And FYI, I'd be very, very appreciative of any mentors who can review RC2
>> > and vote.
>> >
>> > And I'm +1 binding, PPMC.
>> >
>> > A.

>> I'm
>> ASF

>>  revert
>> and I
>> best

>> all

>> --
>> Olivier Lamy
>> Ecetera: http://ecetera.com.au

Olivier Lamy
Ecetera: http://ecetera.com.au

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache jclouds 1.6.1-incubating, RC2

Posted by Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.

--
Olivier Lamy
Ecetera: http://ecetera.com.au

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache jclouds 1.6.1-incubating, RC2

Posted by Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Phillips <ap...@qrmedia.com>.

Posted by Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com>.