Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de> on 2001/11/06 12:21:59 UTC

Moving components from Cocoon

Hi,

before I break any conventions, I will first ask you all, what
the procedure could be to migrate some components from Cocoon
to Avalon.

I thought about adding the components - more or less unchanged -
to the scratchpad directory of excalibur. When we have all classes
and interface there we could start discussing how they could,
should or must be changed and then move them when they are finished
out of the scratchpad.

Is this procedure ok?

Carsten

Re: Moving components from Cocoon

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.
heya,

On Tue, 6 Nov 2001 22:21, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> before I break any conventions, I will first ask you all, what
> the procedure could be to migrate some components from Cocoon
> to Avalon.

I don't think we are as formal to have a procedure as such ;)

> I thought about adding the components - more or less unchanged -
> to the scratchpad directory of excalibur. When we have all classes
> and interface there we could start discussing how they could,
> should or must be changed and then move them when they are finished
> out of the scratchpad.
>
> Is this procedure ok?

I don't know much about the cocoon side of things. I guess that will have a
big effect on things. First I would identify any components whos interface
can't change for whatever reason - ie they were exposed to clients of Cocoon2
and thus you don't want to mess with them. There may be some components who
are stable and well tested enough that they don't need to go through any
testing period. In either of these cases it may be an idea just to move them
into the main tree.

In other cases scratchpad may be good. I guess it depends on the specific
component and how well used it is. So in other words it is probably best for
you / other cocooners to decide about it on a case by case basis ;)

--
Cheers,

Pete

"You know what a dumbshit the 'average man' on the street is? Well, by
definition, half of them are even dumber than that!"
					J.R. "Bob" Dobbs